I want to:
    surf the web
    text message
    send pictures/videos
    instant messages via AOL and MSN

Unlimited Data service to surf the web

Media Max Bundle to send text messages and pictures

Messaging Extreme to send IMs on AOL and MSN

Does this about sum it up? Do I need want any other features?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    You don't need Messaging Extreme, just some software like Toccer (AIM) or Causerie. If you have data, the IM software works over that.
  3.    #3  
    Is this all I need? This is new package from Cingular for $19.99

MEdia Max 200 Bundle

(Best for MobiTV or Cingular Video users that also use Messaging. 3G phone required)

Includes 200 Messages (5 cents/additional messages): You have the freedom to message any way to any one - text, picture, video and IM - without worrying what each message costs. That means every message counts the same. You can send and receive ANY combination of messages. Want to send all picture messages? No problem. All IMs? Go ahead and chat away.

Includes UNLIMITED MEdia Net: With MEdia Net, you can browse the web, check your email, get your sports scores, movie times, weather and news right on your mobile phone. Plus, you can download the latest ringtones, games and graphics. Your information - the way you want it.

Includes UNLIMITED Cingular Video: Play high-quality news, sports, weather and entertainment video clips, on demand on your 3G phone. Get exclusive clips from HBO MobileSM and HBO Family MobileSM-only from Cingular.
    Yes, as long as you're not sending over 200 SMS and MMS, that package is what you want. Otherwise, you might want to get the Media Max 1000.
    I'm going to call Cingular today.....looks like with Media Max 200 we can get more for our $19.99 than we currently get in Media Net Unlimited.
    treo 650 is not a 3G phone...
    Maybe not, but you get an extra 200 messages for free....regardless of if you use the streaming media or not. I'm calling them today to switch. I see the package listed as available for my account.
    Just switched to Media Max 200....same unlimited data but now I get 200 free messages/month for the same $19.99. Woo Hoo!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Cingular won't let me add it ...
    If Cingular customer support won't let you add a certain feature, just call them up and delete whatever data plan you have... then long on to Cingular.com, go to "My Features", and add it there.

They are probably sticking to that old rule about PDA phones having to sign up for their more expensive PDA data plan. I used the above technique to get MediaNet unlimited on my Treo about 16 months ago and haven't had any problems. I plan to do the same today for MediaMax. YMMV.
    Last edited by mcdan333; 06/29/2006 at 12:34 PM.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Also, just a note about switching data plans etc....if you call 611 and have the Cingular support folks do it, make sure to log in to your account on the PC and verify the changes. Not this time, but in the past I've had issues where they add the new plan, but forget to remove the old one.....so in essence you're paying for both. I just always double-check any changes they make.
    Quote Originally Posted by gambrjl
    Cingular won't let me add it ...
    Tell them you don't need VPN. When the Treo came out some CSR training dude told all the CSR's that the Tree "was like a BB"....so many CSR's still think a Treo needs VPN. You may need VPN if you access a private server but most peeps don't.

If they argue tell them you know 4,576 Treo users with MediaMax
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Tell them you don't need VPN. When the Treo came out some CSR training dude told all the CSR's that the Tree "was like a BB"....so many CSR's still think a Treo needs VPN. You may need VPN if you access a private server but most peeps don't.

If they argue tell them you know 4,576 Treo users with MediaMax
    What about VNC?
    I access my work PC w/ PalmVNC.
    Just call me Berd.
    I had no problem asking Cingular to take the PDA Data Plan off and put the Media Max
    1000, this was a saving of $22 for me, because I had to have 3 features ($53 in all) activated to do what my wives phone did on her $20 plan.
  15.    #15  
    This is what happened to me. I called Cingular and service rep A told me that Media Max came out mid June and Data service will be obsolete within few months. A signed me up for Media Max 200 last night.

Today when I checked my account, Media Max did not appear on my account.

I called Cingular again and service rep B told me that Media Max will not work properly with Treo 650 and billing will be incorrect. B further told me that I was misinformed and she apologizes for any confusion. B signed me up for Unlimited Data $39.99 and Messaging 200 for $4.99.

I wonder whats going on with Cingular?

Is Media Max new and service reps are not aware of this or are we going to be billed for data usage for being on the wrong package?

How do we clear this up?
    Rep "B" is wrong. Plain and simple. If you are paying more than $19.99 for unlimited data you are getting ripped off. I've had MediaNet unlimited for almost a year and never had a problem with billing, etc. Many other folks online here have it as well. The ONLY reason you need the $39.99 PDA data plan is if you have to use a VPN to access a network...such as a corporate network. For access to your home PC on a high-speed data connection (like via PalmVNC), you don't need a VPN. For Blazer and email, you dont' need a VPN. If you call Cingular and get a rep who tries to get you signed up for the PDA plan, hang up, call again, and try with another rep. There are plenty who will be happy to sign you up for Media Max 200. If you're worried about billing, let it go for a month and see how your bill looks.....believe me, you will only be charged the plan fee of $19.99 (as long as you don't go over 200 messages)....the data access is unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norboo
    This is what happened to me. I called Cingular and service rep A told me that Media Max came out mid June and Data service will be obsolete within few months. A signed me up for Media Max 200 last night.

Today when I checked my account, Media Max did not appear on my account.

I called Cingular again and service rep B told me that Media Max will not work properly with Treo 650 and billing will be incorrect. B further told me that I was misinformed and she apologizes for any confusion. B signed me up for Unlimited Data $39.99 and Messaging 200 for $4.99.

I wonder whats going on with Cingular?

Is Media Max new and service reps are not aware of this or are we going to be billed for data usage for being on the wrong package?

How do we clear this up?
    I had the same thing happen.....1st part anyway. I ordered the switch from MediaNet to MediaMax, 3 days later when I went to use it, it wasn't there. Caled up and the CST said, "hmm what's wrng here .... you don't need VPN do you ? .....OK then , try it now". The change was imemdiate....Since then been working fine.
    I called Cingular and the CSR switched me from MediaNet Unlimited to MediaMax 200, no questions asked. She did have some trouble adding MediaMax, and it ended up taking about 1/2 hour while she figured it out (and then called me back).

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    I made the switch today. Initially I had a problem because they disabled my media net unlimited and set my media max to start in 30 days. A quick call to the rep and they fixed it up. The first month I have unlimited messaging & data. Following months will be unlimited data and 200 messages.
  20. Lew
    Made the switch Wednesday due to when my bill rolls over, no troubles at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast