Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    OK, I'm at my wits end.

I got a treo 700p on verizon via the palm site. Its been just over 15days and my phone has lost its software version, HS SN, won't connect to data(just recently) and won't update the PRL via *228 or *22899, nor will it reprogram over the air. Verizon has no idea how to help, but they did offer to replace it with a refurbished one.

Palm also said they would replace it,

After speaking to palm tech support, they transferred me over to the treo store for a replacement, but...

The lady said something about getting an advanced replacement as oppossed to
    a return and repurchase...

Next she says I have to call back friday to see "if" it will "be approved by the supervisor" and if not I'll have to do a return and repurchase.

I just want this defective phone replaced and its looking like Its going to take a while.

Has anyone else gone though this or similar with palm? The advanced replacement that is waiting to be approved is a new one? The return and repurchase must be a new one? I would hate to trade in a new phone for a refurbished unit within 30 days...

Its hard being patient with a non functioning phone. I'll let you know how it turns out on friday.

Sorry to complain, but I thought someone else may have a better understanding of what just happened to me then I do...
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    OK, I'm at my wits end.

I got a treo 700p on verizon via the palm site. Its been just over 15days and my phone has lost its software version, HS SN, won't connect to data(just recently) and won't update the PRL via *228 or *22899, nor will it reprogram over the air. Verizon has no idea how to help, but they did offer to replace it with a refurbished one.

Palm also said they would replace it,

After speaking to palm tech support, they transferred me over to the treo store for a replacement, but...

The lady said something about getting an advanced replacement as oppossed to
    a return and repurchase...

Next she says I have to call back friday to see "if" it will "be approved by the supervisor" and if not I'll have to do a return and repurchase.

I just want this defective phone replaced and its looking like Its going to take a while.

Has anyone else gone though this or similar with palm? The advanced replacement that is waiting to be approved is a new one? The return and repurchase must be a new one? I would hate to trade in a new phone for a refurbished unit within 30 days...

Its hard being patient with a non functioning phone. I'll let you know how it turns out on friday.

Sorry to complain, but I thought someone else may have a better understanding of what just happened to me then I do...

Palm replaced mine calling it DOA, charged me one cent and were supposed to send out the the mailing kit to return the phone but I haven't seen it yet. I need to call them so I can return my 1st 700P. The 2d phone was sent overnight. Maybe they have had returned several of these so they may be requiring supervisor approval. Hard to say. but they should replace it within 30 day!
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    ya, they should replace it with a new one, not refurb within 30 days, just depends on whether or not I send them mine first and buy a new one, or they approve one to be sent out in advance...I guess?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Happened to me as well. I didn't want buy two and return one. I would ask for a supervisor and make it clear that this is critical.
    ...can prevent unnecessary threads.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    can you replace your unit within the first 14 days or do you need to have total equipment coverage?
    I'm having problems with mine and I'm trying to get a NEW replacement, but they're saying that I'll end up getting a refurb unit. I'm sorry but I paid a lot for this unit that was defective from the start and I shouldn't get a refurbished one. If I do, they should give me some money back along with that then.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I had the same problem....bought from Palm....verizon offered a refurb....called palm and they made me do a return/reorder....

i just got a new one from verizon instead....and returned the old to palm
    This seems to be the scrourge of modern electronics... you could buy a new $700 dollar phone, but if you run into some bad luck and your device craps out after the satisfaction guarantee period is over, you'll most likely get a refurb. It looks like manufacturers finally found where they can unload all of the refurbs they wind up with.

I may not care much if is a $100 phone, but when it's something like this you should really be getting a new phone unless your phone is more than 3 or 6 months old or some reasonable period. To think that you could wind up with a refurb after paying full price and after only a month of owning your phone for something that is no fault of your own is unacceptable. Fortunately I haven't had issues with my Treo that would necessitate this, but I can tell you I wouldn't be happy.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I had an issue with my the speaker phone and they are sending out a replacement. They did initially want me to return my phone firsrt but I asked for a replacement to be sent out and the guy said no problem. This all happend today around 6:30pm today. If I were you I would call back an ask to speak to a supervisor.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    This is within 30 days by the way...
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wink40
    Happened to me as well. I didn't want buy two and return one. I would ask for a supervisor and make it clear that this is critical.

What do you mean by "buy 2 and return 1"?
    I have gotten two "refurb" 700w's and could not tell them from a new unit. My guess is they replace the cases at a minimum and test to be sure the guts work. Many refurb centers do more testing than is done on new units (and test each unit rather than a sample) so if Palm follows that pattern a refurb could well be better than new.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I'll keep that in mind if worse comes to worse...
    This depends very much on how the refurb center works I suppose. In the case that you describe, yes there would most likely be a minimal difference between the new and refurb units.

However, I have also seem some "refurbs" where it is nothing more than a returned unit someone wiped down and sent out again after checking to see that it turned on. My brother once bought a "refurb" XBOX to get in on a special deal. Everything seemed fine with it, until we realized that it would freeze unconditionally within 7 to 10 minutes of starting a game. It was obvious that beyond turning the unit on and checking the basics nothing else had been done.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure it will be new, its just a matter of whether they send an advance replacement or I have to return and repurchase, either way I'll get a replacement,
    I'm just upset that I'm without a functioning treo for a week or two....
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    This waiting is driving me craaaaazy.....I want a working treo now now now
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Ok....

I spoke to a very helpful sales rep who said, after 15 days they don't do advanced replacements of new phones. After 15 days but before 30 days, they will let you return a defective unit and credit you, but then you have to repurchase. (aka return and repurchase)

Although, I will get the same price that I orignially paid, which is only fair.

Also, I am happy this defect happened within 30days, because now I have the oportunity to get a new replacement as oppossed to a refurb.

I am disappointed that I have to jump through hoops and either wait till I return the defective unit and get credited or "buy two and return one".

meanwhile I'm paying for a cellphone plan while my treo is out of commision,
    so, buyer beware, if you don't want a refurb, and don't want to wait for a return/credit and repurchase get it done within 15 days otherwise you'll be inconveinenced by a defective treo and a not so customer friendly store policy.

(I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but not my case)

Now I wait...patiently...
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Ok, so I ordered a new one friday, paid 16 extra dollars for shipping, specifically asked if they ship on saturday to avoid wasting money on overnight shipping. The rep said yes.

Turns out no treo shows up today, monday.

I ordered friday, got an email saturday saying they shipped it, and expected it today at the latest as I payed for overnight shipping.

Turns out they never shipped it, and due to the holiday I won't see it till wednesday.

The rep said overnight shipping is 1-2 "business" days, and saturday doesnt count, yet UPS will "pick it up today,monday" and since they don't deliver on the 4th I can expect it wednesday.

I've had it with palm, I love the treo, POS, etc, but my patience has reached its threshold. After all it is their defective device and I had to order a new one so I wouldn't have to wait till I returned, got credited, and reordered/reshipped a new one.

I only ordered it from palm so I could do the 150 trade in, but I think this will be my last dealings with them once this replacement is straightened out.

I'm not one to complain about minor inconveinences, but it has been one after the other with the treo store. Tech support was fine.

I'll stop whining now...till wednesday I wait for my replacement...happy 4th, don't blow your hand off anyone
    are you guys getting a rma from palms tech support? the one I got from palm crapped out out of the box. I called palm, they refered me to sales who tried to refer me to sprint, but I finally got a knowledgable person at palm who had me speak with technical support. just ignore the prompts and dim reps who attemtp to send you to sprint. fact is they do give a 30 day themselves and have to honor it.
    if you call tech support they provide a rma and will send an return kit. I had a new 700p from palm in two days.

palm is famous for crap customer support but don't take any guff, in the first30 days you get a new unit, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Palm replaced mine calling it DOA, charged me one cent and were supposed to send out the the mailing kit to return the phone but I haven't seen it yet. I need to call them so I can return my 1st 700P.
    my rma and return kid (a prepaid UPS label in pdf) came via email. maybe your spamkiller killed it?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I am getting a new replacement, I was dissapointed with the whole return and repurchase process though, especially with such a critical device such as a phone.

Plus some lady at palm lied to me and had me wait from wednesday till friday for no reason, then the shipping mishap, the original purchase price confusion, and I'm still waiting for a return package and the new one...

It will be over a week for a replacement, which is unaccepteable by my standards.

I wouldn't even mind the time waiting, but the lies/missinformation, etc is really what bothers me.

Anyway,I will "really" stop complaining now. I just wanted to warn all my fellow owners out there to take care of your defective devices before 15 days(for an advanced replacement), and before 30days at the latest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast