Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    Are we ever going to see a wifi sd card for the 700p?
  2. #2  
    Right after we see nuclear powered batteries for the Treo

    And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

    Signed,
    The n00b!

    P.s. Bow before me!

    Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
  3. #3  
    What are you talking about? There are tons of wifi SD cards for the Treo 700p. It's just that none of them work (yet?) :-)

    The only way we'll see wifi SD support on the 700p (the cards are there, but the 700p doesn't support them; no drivers) is if someone *coughcoughshadowmitecoughcough* hacks it. However, considering that we don't have wifi SD support on the 650 yet (and it's been out much longer than the 700p), it's not looking like it'll happen anytime soon.
  4. #4  
    I don't see what the huge deal is. Everyone has told me that it is a limitation of Palm OS, and we won't get wifi because of that. But that is not true, my mom's Tungsten C has wifi and it works great..........
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernhauser
    Are we ever going to see a wifi sd card for the 700p?
    Who needs wifi with EVDO??? Just something else to drain the battery quicker..Granted EVDO coverage isnt everywhere so in that case why buy a 700 if you cant get EVDO in the areas where you would use the phone the most..
  6. #6  
    The problem is not that PalmOS can't do WiFi. It's that it can't do Wifi AND EVDO/1xRttt or WiFi AND GSM. That is the problem. Take away the cellular radio and WiFi works!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gobigblue
    Who needs wifi with EVDO??? Just something else to drain the battery quicker..Granted EVDO coverage isnt everywhere so in that case why buy a 700 if you cant get EVDO in the areas where you would use the phone the most..
    why buy a 700? well, the phone, 1X and PDA all in one are still a good reason to buy one. EVDO is icing and it is much better than the 650, with more memory and it is more stable (for initial firmware) than the 650 was when that first came out.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gobigblue
    Who needs wifi with EVDO??? Just something else to drain the battery quicker..Granted EVDO coverage isnt everywhere so in that case why buy a 700 if you cant get EVDO in the areas where you would use the phone the most..
    Ok, so you're paying a nice $15 dollars a month for your Powervision package. You live in an area with great EvDO coverage. You can get online basically anywhere you want....until you hit that nice deadspot with no signal..

    For example: In my school's science building on the first floor, Sprint's signal in the lecture room is almost non-exsitant. When I do get signal, I get 1xRTT on my A900. Assuming I had a $650 Treo (plus tax) 700p, I wouldn't be able to use my fancy EvDO connection, I'd either not be able to get online, or be limited to 1xRTT speeds (SLOW!). However, my friend can sit beside me on his $400 T-Mobile MDA (that's $400 WITHOUT contract btw, $300 with contract,) and surf the web at great speeds using our school's wifi connection. Doesn't my $650 dollar Treo look kinda useless in that situation?

    Besides, considering that the 700 is overall a better device than the 650 (some may argue against that, but I'm looking at specs here), why would you buy a device that's two years old and probably isn't going to get any new updates if you can afford a more recent device that's going to be updated more?

    It's not even that PalmOS can't handle a cellular radio and wifi in the same device, from what I've heard, adding wifi would require a rewrite of the telephony stack in the Treo. It could be done if Palm wanted it done, but it would take lots of time and money and it probably wouldn't affect their sales enough for it to be worth their time.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    However, my friend can sit beside me on his $400 T-Mobile MDA (that's $400 WITHOUT contract btw, $300 with contract,) and surf the web at great speeds using our school's wifi connection. Doesn't my $650 dollar Treo look kinda useless in that situation?
    Your Treo won't appear to be nearly as useless after your friend's MDA has a dead battery after surfing the web over a WiFi connection for fifteen minutes. That's one of the things that is so often - I feel - overlooked in these discussions. I had WiFi access on the Sony Clie that I had before getting my Treo and - while it was kinda neat - it drained the battery like a fat kid putting down a Coffee Koolata on a hot day.
  10. dbodner's Avatar
    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    Your Treo won't appear to be nearly as useless after your friend's MDA has a dead battery after surfing the web over a WiFi connection for fifteen minutes. That's one of the things that is so often - I feel - overlooked in these discussions. I had WiFi access on the Sony Clie that I had before getting my Treo and - while it was kinda neat - it drained the battery like a fat kid putting down a Coffee Koolata on a hot day.
    That's fine.

    That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with havng the OPTION of using wifi or evdo.
  11. #11  
    No there is nothing wrong with the desire, but as we look to Palm to iron out the new ROM I would really prefer that they dedicate their resources to things like stability of the existing connectivity. I live immersed in a WiFi environment and can't say that I ever have the urge to jump onto the network with my phone - I find that I run into the display limitations of Blazer long before the enhanced speed of WiFi for web browsing comes into play as a factor.

Posting Permissions