1.    #1  
    My camera app has slowed WAAAY down.

I'm running an A-Data 4-gigabyte SD card. The card was formatted on the Treo.

When I snap a 1280x1024 pic to the card, the preview screen displays immediately. But, there is a 1.5-second pause before the disk/trash icons on the preview screen become "targetable." The response is slow - if I tap the trash icon it takes 3 seconds to return to the camera screen.

If I snap to RAM things seem zippy as normal.

There are 3 images in RAM and 28 on the card. There are 2 <500k vids on the card, also, and even with all the BackupBuddyVFS, SnapperMail and TCPMP stuff, I still have 64% free space.

The same delays occur when I try to view images or manage albums. And it's not just with Pics & Video - Resco Photo Viewer shows the same symptoms.

I've defragged the card with my PC and Diskeeper...no improvement.

I've pulled the battery and restarted. Same difference.

I would really appreciate some sage advice. Please?

Thanks *very* much,

Tim ==

keywords: A-Data A Data 4-gigabyte 4GB secure digital card SD
    Last edited by xpanmanx; 06/29/2006 at 03:41 PM. Reason: add keywords
  2.    #2  
    I'm arranging an RMA with NewEgg.

I've tried to run the Sandra 2007 flash memory benchmark against this card, and it did not complete.

A SanDisk 512MB SD was able to complete the benchmark.

I used two different card readers for the test.
    There's also a SD card benchmark utility for Palm called VFSMark you might want to try. Looks like you may just have a faulty card anyway (and newegg's great for service/returns BTW).

VFS should be found at:
    http://kopsisengineering.com
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  4.    #4  
    VFSMark is a nice utility! Thanks for pointing it out.

I ended up finding the download on FreewarePalm <link>

Here are the results of my 512MB card:

[PHP] File Create: 108%
    File Delete: 52%
    File Write: 76%
    File Read: 814%
    File Seek: 2950%
    DB Export: 50%
    DB Import: 100%
    Record Access: 1034%
    Resource Access:1097%
    VFSMark: 697[/PHP]
    And these are the results of my 4GB card:

[PHP] File Create: 51%
    File Delete: 21%
    File Write: 11%
    File Read: 800%
    DB Export: 16%
    DB Import: 102%
    Record Access: 1096%
    Resource Access:1066%
    VFSMark: 679[/PHP]
    The write performance of the 4GB card is way off, and that is exactly where I've been feeling the most pain.

I'm eager to test the replacement 4GB card. I hope that NewEgg gets it here fast.
  5.    #5  
    Heh. I have a trusty SanDisk blue 1GB in my camera. Here are the VFSMark results:

[PHP]File Create: 862%
    File Delete: 346%
    File Write: 218%
    File Read: 703%
    DB Export: 271%
    DB Import: 103%
    Record Access: 1131%
    Resource Access: 1066%
    VFSMark: 850[/PHP]
    Now that's more like it.

I'm starting to wonder if 4GB cards are the way to go. There are an awful lot of threads here where people have said they have problems of one kind or another with them. Fairly, there are also a lot of positive comments. But still I wonder...
  6.    #6  
    Update: RMA in progress.

Interesting note: I didn't have the retail packaging anymore. When I told NewEgg that I would gladly buy another card outright, and exchange the defective card in the new packaging, they were like, "Ooooo...wait, we have to get all kinds of approval to do that." Then they took 3 days to get back to me with an affirmative. Seems odd. I don't recall if the packaging was serialized...
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xpanmanx
    I'm starting to wonder if 4GB cards are the way to go. There are an awful lot of threads here where people have said they have problems of one kind or another with them. Fairly, there are also a lot of positive comments. But still I wonder...
    I think high speed, name brand cards are the only way to go. A Data is not exactly ranked as one of the higher quality brand cards. I have never used them, but most of my snobby photography friends avoid them like the plague.
    I reformatted my Transcend 4GB x150 SD card FAT32 w/ 32K Clusters.

The VFSMark scores are:
    File Create: 62%
    File Delete: 29%
    File Write: 16%
    File Read: 843%
    File Seek: 3933%
    DB Export: 43%
    DB Import: 86%
    Record Access: 1248%
    Resource Access:1280%
    VFSMark: 837

The larger cluster sizes seem to really make a drastic improvement on write performance, But they still aren't up to the Sandisk Ultra II Formatted w/ 32K Clusters and FAT16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    How did you do that?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    How did you do that?
    See this post.