1.    #1  
    Okay, I hope this isn't a dumb question...(and yes, I searched the forums first):

Is there a way to turn the 700p ALL THE WAY off? I know if I hold down the power key it turns the radio off, and if I just tap it (or wait) the screen turns off...but I want to shut the phone down. All the way off. No alarms, alerts, etc. No battery usage.

Is there anything I can do (short of removing the battery?)

Thanks.
    Unfortunately, removing the batter would be the only way. As the palm organizer that it is, it's designed to be able to operate even without the phone on. but the organize alwasy has power. Since early Palm models would lose all their memory if the battery ran down or was disconnected, the OS is designed to always have power.
    pull the battery and reinsert with a post-it note between the battery and the contacts.

When you want to turn the unit back on, just pull out the post-it note.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    They should've made like a switch under the battery cover to turn it off-off...or something similar....

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    No thanks. I'm glad that pulling the battery is the only way. I'd hate to miss a meeting because I accidentally flipped a switch and disabled all my alarms!
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    How would you accidentally flip a switch under the battery cover?

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I don't pop the battery out very often, but it's happened a few times (bad freeze, ejected by dropping the phone, etc.). Sure, the chances are unlikely, but given my schedule and how heavily I rely on my Treo alarms, I'll take a ~0% chance over a 3% chance.

To turn the tables, would it be that much more convenient to have a switch under the battery than to use nonobeez's Post-It suggestion?
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Helix Holster
    A switch would IMO be the professional way. A post it, just seems tacky (pun intended).
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    I don't pop the battery out very often, but it's happened a few times (bad freeze, ejected by dropping the phone, etc.). Sure, the chances are unlikely, but given my schedule and how heavily I rely on my Treo alarms, I'll take a ~0% chance over a 3% chance.

To turn the tables, would it be that much more convenient to have a switch under the battery than to use nonobeez's Post-It suggestion?
    Ok, I get that you might accidentally hit a switch (though I wouldn't put a cheap easy to flip switch, but more like the heavy switch that you often see on the bottom of remote control cars) but obviously you would know it was switched to off when you reinsert your battery and the phone doesn't come back on. I think that would be a "duh" kind of thing.

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    A switch would IMO be the professional way. A post it, just seems tacky (pun intended).
    If a Post-it is too tacky, you can always use a business card...
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Ok, I get that you might accidentally hit a switch (though I wouldn't put a cheap easy to flip switch, but more like the heavy switch that you often see on the bottom of remote control cars) but obviously you would know it was switched to off when you reinsert your battery and the phone doesn't come back on. I think that would be a "duh" kind of thing.
    You might not put a cheap, easy-to-flip switch in there, but I'd bet Palm would if they ever implemented this. Then whaddya do if/when that breaks? Now that would be a "duh" kind of thing!

Ok, enough arguing over a nonexistent switch.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Helix Holster
    With the phone off the battery "drain" is really minimal. A Nimh battery discharges even when not being used. I know that if I fully charge my spare battery and then put it in a desk drawer for a week or two, that when I pop it in my phone, hoping to have it at 100% charged I usually find that its only at 50%.
  13.    #13  
    Well, I think it's nuts. It bugs me...

At night, when I'm sleeping, I want the phone OFF. I don't *want* to be woken up by an alarm, reminder, to-do, email sync, etc.

This doesn't matter much during the week, but REALLY pisses me off on weekends.

Also, the dopey flashing LED continues as well. If I forget to turn the phone over, I see flashing green light on my ceiling all night long (I know there are utilities to control this, but the phone is already buggy enough that I don't want to add anything that isn't strictly necessary).

Sometimes, I just want the thing ALL THE WAY OFF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    With the phone off the battery "drain" is really minimal. A Nimh battery discharges even when not being used. I know that if I fully charge my spare battery and then put it in a desk drawer for a week or two, that when I pop it in my phone, hoping to have it at 100% charged I usually find that its only at 50%.
    The Treo uses Li-ion batteries... they definitly hold way more than 50% charge after sitting for 2 weeks

I do agree that it is almost pointless to switch off a PDA/Smartphone since most of the energy is used to light the screen and for the radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foobarsky
    Also, the dopey flashing LED continues as well. If I forget to turn the phone over, I see flashing green light on my ceiling all night long
    I've NEVER seen the green light that intense that its flashing green on my ceiling, and this is in a COMPLETELY dark room. Maybe that was the spaceship you saw.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    That flashing green light is pretty intense in a dark room. But it only flashes if the phone is "off" (meaning the screen is dark). If you hold down the button with the little red phone on it you turn off the phone (now the Treo is "off off") and the flashing ends.

But you DO still have the problem of alarms going off, inadvertently set. True. Moral of the story? (1) use that little switch on the top of the Treo to turn off the ringer; (2) check your calendar for the next day's events and see if there are events with alarms on them. Low tech. Works almost as well as a Post-it.
    Or set the ringer volume on '0' (I assume that is still possible on the 700).
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Foobarsky
    Okay, I hope this isn't a dumb question...(and yes, I searched the forums first):

Is there a way to turn the 700p ALL THE WAY off? I know if I hold down the power key it turns the radio off, and if I just tap it (or wait) the screen turns off...but I want to shut the phone down. All the way off. No alarms, alerts, etc. No battery usage.

Is there anything I can do (short of removing the battery?)

Thanks.
    I know this has already been answered, but, take the battery out.
    How long can the 700p hold onto its data with the battery removed?

Is there a sequence of steps that should be done when removing the battery (i.e. phone turned off first, screen off??).

I'm considering buying a spare battery to swap out and want to make sure I don't do anything wrong when swapping.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$ $will$ $hold$ $the$ $data$ $indefinitely$ $with$ $the$ $battery$ $removed$. $It$'$s$ $stored$ $in$ $flash$ $memory$ ($kinda$ $like$ $your$ $PC$'$s$ $BIOS$). $Unlike$ $a$ &$quot$;$memory$&$quot$; $alarm$ $clock$, $there$ $is$ $no$ $secondary$ $power$ $supply$ $that$ $gradually$ $drains$ $when$ $the$ $battery$ $is$ $removed$.

It doesn't matter whether you turn the phone off or not before removing the battery. When you replace the battery, it will soft-reset anyway, and that cycles the phone, data connection, etc.

I think the only thing you may need to worry about is calibrating the battery. I've never swapped batteries regularly myself, but I've read concerns that switching batteries degrades the battery life somewhat since the phone and the battery never really get a chance to calibrate to one another.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Helix Holster