Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    OK, here is the latest update. Went to local Sprint store, the guy wouldn't help me. Told me that because I hadn't purchased insurance, they would only fix it for a fee even though the phone was only 60 days old and it was CLEARLY a hardware defect. I knew this was crapola, so I called palm. That guy told me that they had cut a deal with Sprint, so in fact Sprint WAS responsible for within warranty repairs. However, we had to call a special Sprint number ala conference call. Sprint verified that it was a real issue, and told me they would send me a replacement phone hopefully by Fri. Don't know if this phone will be new or a refurb, but will let you all know. The Palm number for service is: 813-313-4914, and Palm Corporate is: 408-617-7000. Thanks Jeff and Noodle for all the info...
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Good, I'm glad palm was able to help out.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Final update. Well, i now have a new phone. I don't even want to tell you what a nightmare it was for me to get it replaced... sprint said it was Palm's responsibility, and Palm said it was Sprint's responsibility. I was standing in a Sprint store feeling like I was going to lose my mind! They guy finally replaced the phone, and now everything is working like a charm. Has anyone else had trouble with this or was this a very rare malfunction?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I have the same problem. I also have '-/1108/108-' in the version string under phone information.

I found this out when I tried to do the IR update.

I emailed Palm tech support..... 3 days .... still waiting for a reply......

I emailed Sprint tech support today we'll see what if anything happens?

I dread going to the Sprint store. Or calling and spending an hour talking to people who will just pass me along. I'm hoping Sprint will reply to the email.
    I went down to my SPrint store & he replaced it on the spot no questions asked. They were very well aware of the problem so there are others having this problem for sure...
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    The Sprint store did finally replace the phone today, it was quite the battle though.

Thank you all for your helpful comments
    My lag & reset problems started with LauncherX too. I am battling it out against Palm and Sprint, but, they both finally agree that the phone needs replacing. Now, who will replace it is the next battle. I'll keep you posted.
    One more thing, after a hard reset and installing essential (email, contacts, agendus,etc.) without voulmecare or profilecare, my treo still would freeze and reset. All of my problems when the HSSN disappered which was before volumecare, profilecare, LauncherX and chattermail.

Quote Originally Posted by smrs View Post
    I am both glad and bummed that I found this thread. I am suddenly having this issue as well. I had an HSSN as I had to provide it to get my Launcher X reg code. However, after recovering from a nasty bout of reset loops, my Launcher X was no longer accepting my registration code. What the heck do I tell the Sprint guy to get him to understand that this is a bad issue? I don't think I can live without Launcher X! I'm sure this has nothing to do with this issue, but for the sake of completeness, I did install Chatter Email today...
    Do you think Chatter or LauncherX caused the problem? My problems started since chatter and launcherX were installed, but I think it was LauncherX, the last installed before the failures.
    Last edited by FavTreo; 10/24/2006 at 11:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Mine has all the information in the phone info but I still get the lags and slowness when accessing icons or even in the address book. I hope that Palm comes up with a fix soon!
    Im trying to determin if my phone has this problem, could you or someone please alaberate on how to check?
    There is no HSSN reference in my Phone information.

Thanks
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Quote Originally Posted by FavTreo View Post
    My lag & reset problems started with LauncherX too. I am battling it out against Palm and Sprint, but, they both finally agree that the phone needs replacing. Now, who will replace it is the next battle. I'll keep you posted.
    One more thing, after a hard reset and installing essential (email, contacts, agendus,etc.) without voulmecare or profilecare, my treo still would freeze and reset. All of my problems when the HSSN disappered which was before volumecare, profilecare, LauncherX and chattermail.

Do you think Chatter or LauncherX caused the problem? My problems started since chatter and launcherX were installed, but I think it was LauncherX, the last installed before the failures.
    There is absolutely no known way for an application to change/delete/destroy the HSSN in a Treo. This value is not even in ROM. I believe it is flashed into the phone before the operating system is even loaded. This value is the serial number of your Treo!

If this value is disappearing, then I believe this indicates a hardware problem since the EPROM that is holding the serial number must be failing.

Second, the lags in performance on the Treo 700p is due to an operating system bug in the part of the operating system that controls access to information stored in files on your Treo. It is not the direct fault of any application you have loaded on your device. Just look at the delay that happens when you go into your Web browser. If you have caching enabled, you will see up to a 120 second delay entering the browser since it must read the very large cache file.

Hope this helps explain what is happening.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    Im trying to determin if my phone has this problem, could you or someone please alaberate on how to check?
    There is no HSSN reference in my Phone information.

Thanks
    The Phone application's INFO screen display's the HSSN. If this value is blank, your phone is missing its HSSN number!

Here is a link to an applicaiton I created to display all of the critical informtion in your Treo device:

http://gotreosoftware.com/downloads/ota/devinfo.prc

Jeff
    The quote below was taken directly from an email one of my customers sent me over the weekend. I know all will benefit from this customer's experience:

Hello Jeff;
    I have found that the HSSN is empty on this Treo 700p. I have also contacted Sprint PCS Technical Support, could not resolve the problem. I was referred to Customer Support at Palm. I was informed the the phone was programed improperly and the hardware was damaged (Electronics). So I then contact my phone insurance company they informed me that I will get a New Replacement Treo 700p, not a reconditioned phone. Thank you for your program to tell me something has gone bad on this phone!!!!! I will be sending you all the new information about the new phone so I can install the software. Thank You Again. You will be hearing from me soon in about 3 to 5 days.

It is wonderful that Palm is stepping up to the problem!!

Jeff

Well, after 1 week of back and forth with Sprint and Palm, Palm finally agreed to replace my phone today! I had to pay $25 so they would send me a refurbished phone in exchange for mine, but I'll take it: does anyone have experience with this? My phone is brand new, and to get a used phone seems so unfair. Almost regret getting Palm to replace it instead of fighting with Sprint a bit more, a bit more on this below. I'll keep you posted on the refurbished issue.

Wanted to give anyone out there a few pointers on getting your phone replaced:

1) HSSN does matter no what they say! Read any message by Jeff Gibson, of Treo Software and you can convince Palm or any wireless carrier.

HINT: I directed Sprint to this discussion thread, and without me saying another word, advanced tech support technician wrote on my account, only solution=REPLACEMENT.

2) Do not go into too much detail of the phone's problems! They immediately are convinced that it is another common problem, usually with 3rd party applications. They will begin to waste your time by performing all types of resets (whether you or Palm or Sprint have already done so numerous times). After a hard reset and more, your phone will not crash immediately, and so to them it is fixed...especially when you can make a phone call and connect to the web. Often, it was my experience, that the phone would start to act up again the next day. Also, if like me, you bought the GeoSoft applications that require HSSN, you have the right to have a phone that will work with them, and you know the solution is getting your HSSN back!

3) Read the quote below, to inform yourself, and be able to convince Palm that they must comply with their 1yr manufacturer warranty and replace the unit:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    All GoTreo software uses the HSSN as the unique identifier for creation of license keys. I am sure other 3rd party developers are using the same since this is the best way of detecting a device uniquely. Especially today since there is a very large and growing population of users that no longer assign HotSync ID's to devices. A good example of this are Goodlink users. Almost every Goodlink user will not have a HotSync ID. And there are over a million of these users today. So the old method of using the HotSync ID to create a license key will no longer work.

I do not know if any Palm software uses the HSSN number. I do know that Palm produces sample applications for developers that use this serial number and they have also provided specific program application function calls for developers to access this information.

From everything I know, there is *NO* way for an application to delete or change an HSSN number. I do know that Palm put out a retailer recall for the Treo 700P shortly after the initial release of the device. I do not know the exact reason but I would imagine this had something to do with the missing HSSN and other ROM information that is supposed to be in the device.

So the net-net is that the HSSN is important becuase it has been defined by Palm to be a standard identifier in the device. If it is missing, by Palm standard definition, it is faulty and should be repaired or replaced.

Jeff
    4) If you buy insurance through your wireless carrier, they should replace the phone, period.

5) On the other hand, if you do not (like me, I am the biggest anti-insurance, a/k/a pay me incase, and then we fight to pay you, then Palm should comply with their 1yr manufacturer warranty, and they should replace the phone, period.

HINT: I wish I would have done this! Exhaust all options/pleas/fights, whatever, with your local carrier service phone center: stay calm, bring a print out of this entire discussion thread (As a last resort, don't put all your eggs in one basket! It really feels good to refer to this thread when they say, "I have never seen this problem"..BAM..Toma!). If your presentation is successful, you can be assured that you can get a NEW phone out of the box, instead of Palm's refurbished phone.
    On that note, Palm offered me 2 options to replace my phone. One, Advanced Replacement Option, cost: $25 + tax, they will ship you a refurbished or "used" phone (I will comment on it when I get it), then you send yours to them in the return package. Then there is the Free Option, cost: shipping $ + packaging, you send your phone to palm and 4-5 days after receipt, they ship a refurbished or "used" or "your phone in disguised, oooohhh".
    Remember only solution to getting back your HSSN=REPLACEMENT!

Well good luck, I hope my experience helps. BTW, I love my Treo.
    As promised, and long over due the following is my experience with getting the phone replaced by Palm.

First, the phone that I received wa brand new, at least from the outside. It has worked perfectly, and I have re-installed all of my application and none of them have "removed" the HSSN number, which leads me to believe that the original phone did not have one. Bottom line is the phone without HSSN will work, if you are planning to buy 3rd party applications.

Overall it was an uphill battle, because I do not have phone insurance, to get a replacement. I went around circles for about 2 weeks, but finally was pleased with the outcome. I am a bit upset about me having to spend an additional $25 to get the phone replaced without any interruption in service, but that is it.

Good luck.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123