Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    The problem is that the HS SN which was there originally in the firmware, was somehow corrupted and dissapeared, which shows a hardware or OS defect. There is no way it should change or dissapear, whether or not they use it. Plus the software version and hardware versions changed as well. There may be other problems happenning that aren't seen, but regardless, it is a defect that needs correcting. I couldn't update my PRL or reprogram my phone over the air with verizon and manual reprogramming had issues as well. Don't let them blow you off if you are unhappy with it,most others treos are not exhibiting these problems.

You may not experience a problem, untill you need to reprogram your phone for some reason in the future, or maybe not at all, but I wouldn't take the risk knowing what I know now.
  2.    #22  
    Noodle: I hear you, but there's nothing I can point to right now. Maybe i should test the reprogramming route and see if that also causes issues with my software/hardware. That would be a major issue if it did get corrupted like yours and Eric's. At this point, the big difference between my experience and you guys is that I still have valid everything else.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I'd be curious to see if the TroubleShooter app flags this as a failure in any of its diagnostics. Can one of you with the missing HS SN try it out? The Memory/CPU test runs so fast it's hard to see the screen, but I think I can glimpse the HS SN flash on screen when it runs.
  4.    #24  
    I can see nothing with the test. (too fast but I don't think I ever see the HSSN)
    Is the HSSN really that important? Because my HSSN,hardware and software SN. got blown out twice, Sprint reprogrammed 1st time, and now they are going to order me a refurb, I was just wondering if the HSSN and other numbers are really that important. As far as I can tell, the only software I have that uses HSSN is volumecare.
    What's strange is that the Sprint tech thinks I'm using some sort of 3rd party software that is blowing out the HSSN, is that even possible? The only software i'm using that is even remotely like a hack is Skinner, Butler, and Volumecare. ANyhoo, I'll have the refurb in a week, hopefully it won't lose it's HSSN like my current one
    garinballbarin
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno
    Is the HSSN really that important? Because my HSSN,hardware and software SN. got blown out twice, Sprint reprogrammed 1st time, and now they are going to order me a refurb, I was just wondering if the HSSN and other numbers are really that important. As far as I can tell, the only software I have that uses HSSN is volumecare.
    What's strange is that the Sprint tech thinks I'm using some sort of 3rd party software that is blowing out the HSSN, is that even possible? The only software i'm using that is even remotely like a hack is Skinner, Butler, and Volumecare. ANyhoo, I'll have the refurb in a week, hopefully it won't lose it's HSSN like my current one
    All GoTreo software uses the HSSN as the unique identifier for creation of license keys. I am sure other 3rd party developers are using the same since this is the best way of detecting a device uniquely. Especially today since there is a very large and growing population of users that no longer assign HotSync ID's to devices. A good example of this are Goodlink users. Almost every Goodlink user will not have a HotSync ID. And there are over a million of these users today. So the old method of using the HotSync ID to create a license key will no longer work.

I do not know if any Palm software uses the HSSN number. I do know that Palm produces sample applications for developers that use this serial number and they have also provided specific program application function calls for developers to access this information.

From everything I know, there is *NO* way for an application to delete or change an HSSN number. I do know that Palm put out a retailer recall for the Treo 700P shortly after the initial release of the device. I do not know the exact reason but I would imagine this had something to do with the missing HSSN and other ROM information that is supposed to be in the device.

So the net-net is that the HSSN is important becuase it has been defined by Palm to be a standard identifier in the device. If it is missing, by Palm standard definition, it is faulty and should be repaired or replaced.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff, that was a quick answer to my question . Will I need to contact you when my new treo arrives, because I imagine it will have a new HSSN.
    Anyway, thanks for answering my post so quickly, and so long as I'm here I'd like to say that Volumecare is great, I can barely hear my treo without VC, with VC clear as a bell Keep up the good work!!!!
    garinballbarin
    Quote Originally Posted by aykim
    My handset: Sprint Treo 700p with a few applications, using LauncherX. Everything working well except for the occasional lag between apps and a periodic problem with powering on (no response or slow response but this is intermittent).

I read in a VolumeCare thread, here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=116836&page=2 , jeff Gibson's comment that many handsets are coming from the factory without an HSSN (check your Phone INfo). He said this could cause reset problems and other glitches and that Palm has been replacing phones for this reason.

I just talked to Sprint "advanced tech support" about this issue. The tech loooked at the "lab phone" and that also was missing the handset serial number in the Phone Info. Based upon the performance of the lab phone, she said this was not a problem. She seemed unfamiliar with what exactly the HSSN does. She also reported zero lag between applications but noted 1) there are no apps or databases on the lab phone, and 2) given the newness of the phone, there likely will be patches or updates in future.

So, I am a bit confused. Does HSSN matter or not? Could it be impacting on my lagginess or trouble turning on in some instances? I'm more inclined to believe a respected third party developer than a Sprint tech rep in this case, but I don't know the mechanics or issues here.

Do other Sprint 700p owners have an HSSN in their phone info? Are these the ones having zero problems with resets or lagginess?
    Mine has all the information in the phone info but I still get the lags and slowness when accessing icons or even in the address book. I hope that Palm comes up with a fix soon!
    so long as thiks thread is still up, I was wondering if anybody has heard of 3rd party software that can trash your HSSN #? the reason I ask is because the guys at Sprint are convinced that some piece of shareware/freeware is blowing out my HSSN, they believe that so much that they've told me if the refurb replacement loses its HSSN I won't be able to get another replacement because they think I'm the cause of my missing HSSN. I really hate the way Sprint treats me because it's not like I enjoy going to their store, if I could avoid it I would.
    garinballbarin
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I would tell them its not 3rd party, Its probably has something to do with the activation app in the rom. Regardless, the HSSN is in the firmware. I would call palm directly if you have further problems, and ask them to confrence caqll with you to sprint to explain it. Sprint is just trying to cover their bottom line, but they don't know whats going on, Also this happenned to me before I installed any 3rd party's...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    From everything I know, there is *NO* way for an application to delete or change an HSSN number. I do know that Palm put out a retailer recall for the Treo 700P shortly after the initial release of the device. I do not know the exact reason but I would imagine this had something to do with the missing HSSN and other ROM information that is supposed to be in the device.

So the net-net is that the HSSN is important becuase it has been defined by Palm to be a standard identifier in the device. If it is missing, by Palm standard definition, it is faulty and should be repaired or replaced.

Jeff
    see
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Thanks noodle, I read jeff's posts but just wanted to confirm that the rom can't be blown out by software. anyway, hopefully my new treo won't have this problem, but if it does I think I'll take your advice and call Palm about it. THanks again
    garinballbarin
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I'm on number 3 and the first one was the only one exhibiting this problem, but palm replaced it on the first call.Good luck. Hope all works out. Its nice to have a non defective treo. It took me a looong time to get one.
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I am both glad and bummed that I found this thread. I am suddenly having this issue as well. I had an HSSN as I had to provide it to get my Launcher X reg code. However, after recovering from a nasty bout of reset loops, my Launcher X was no longer accepting my registration code. What the heck do I tell the Sprint guy to get him to understand that this is a bad issue? I don't think I can live without Launcher X! I'm sure this has nothing to do with this issue, but for the sake of completeness, I did install Chatter Email today...
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Mine has all the information in the phone info but I still get the lags and slowness when accessing icons or even in the address book. I hope that Palm comes up with a fix soon!
    The slowness is coming from a bug in the Database code within the operating system. All accesses to Palm databases on the 700p are significantly slower on the 700p than they were on the 650.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno
    Thanks noodle, I read jeff's posts but just wanted to confirm that the rom can't be blown out by software. anyway, hopefully my new treo won't have this problem, but if it does I think I'll take your advice and call Palm about it. THanks again
    ROM can not be changed via programs that run in 68k mode. If this is happening, then Palm did not properly protect the memory region where the HSSN is stored.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by smrs
    I am both glad and bummed that I found this thread. I am suddenly having this issue as well. I had an HSSN as I had to provide it to get my Launcher X reg code. However, after recovering from a nasty bout of reset loops, my Launcher X was no longer accepting my registration code. What the heck do I tell the Sprint guy to get him to understand that this is a bad issue? I don't think I can live without Launcher X! I'm sure this has nothing to do with this issue, but for the sake of completeness, I did install Chatter Email today...
    Write to me and I will get you up and running with Launcher X.

Jeff
    support AT GoTreoSoftware.com
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Jeff,

I just sent you an email. Thanks! BTW, I am going to stop by the Sprint store on my way to work (it is also deli style) and I will post my results. Hopefully the missing HSSN number and Launcher X will be a moot point... I have to say, my phone had also developed the buzzing/ringingin my ear a few weeks ago when making a call as well... maybe this isn't such a bad thing. Funny thing is, I rarely use my phone to make actual voice calls :-)
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Oh, one more thing, as per Noodle's comment, I tried to call Palm to give them a head's up, but every link I followed led me to Sprint support. Anyone know how to get Palm directly? I agree that they should know that there is a manufacture/software defect (that is assuming, of couse, that they don't already know and have quietly adopted the strategy of just replacing phones for the 10% of users who notice...). At this point, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt...
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    If you bought it from the palm store there is a 15 day advance replacement. Within 30 days you have to do a return and repurchase. after that you are supposed to go through your provider for warranty replacement. I would ask palm to help you though if sprint is giving you a hard time. hopefully you will get a knowledgable rep willing to help and not just blow you off.The HSSN was causing problems for me with programming my phone over the air/updating my prl,etc...
    This was a major problem for me. you are also entitled to 90 days tech support as well. I would try this number the treo store 800-881-7256 either follow the prompts or ask for palm support
    noodlelest wet noodler
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast