Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I thought the rev a would need new hardware. It would be great if we just needed a software upgrade.
    I don't know about the Treo specifically, but I know the Sierra chipsets used in alot of pc cards and pocket pcs are not upgradeable to Rev A. This is from the solutions engineer from Sprint that my company works with.
    Has anyone found out more information on this topic? Will the treo be compatible with the new edvo with just a firmware update? Just curious. Thanks.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    it's not sprint evdo it's blazer!!!
    wow just ran a cnet test and got 116.2kbps. I guess this is super fast for you guys that came from the 650 without evdo.Palm blazer is just sad.I ran the same test on the 700w and got 728.3k.
    Actually it won't be outdated. It should still work as well or better than it does today. (Better coverage for existing EVDO map, plus more towers will prevent congestion). Plus we should have some nice software and firmware updates by that time.

I don't expect Palm to rush out with new Treos with the new EVDO standard. EVDO was out for over a year before we saw the the 700w. Even longer for the 700p. Figure a new EVDO Treo will be launched about 18-24 months after the existing model it is replacing was launched.

There will be 5 lines by the end of the year:
    1) 2.5G GSM PalmOS - 650 (Early 2005 - This will service those international markets that are yet to deploy 3G networks. It won't be replaced until 2007 , it looks like they are going for at least a full 24 month product cycle for this device.)
    2) 3G CDMA WinMobile - 700w (Jan 2006)
    3) 3G CDMA PalmOS - 700p (Jun 2006)
    4) 3G GSM WinMobile - 750w (Sept 2006) Estimated model name and date
    5) 3G GSM PalmOS - 750p (Oct 2006) Estimated model name and date

P.S. - That's not to say they won't be more than 5 Treo lines. They may be a product that is released within 12 months that will get you salivating.

Also, that's like making the analogy that all WiFi devices are obsolete because someone invented the WiMax standard.
    The real question is whether Sprint will update all of their towers to EVDO ever. Since most every tower supports data, would be nice if they were all upgraded to EVDO. EVDO A. is not all that big of a deal IMHO. After a firmware update with the usual bug fixes, this 700p will scream. Palm has always been great about fixing problems with these things.
    bit_bucket
    This is why I'm hanging on to my T650 and my 2GB SD card until Sprint, Palm and PalmSource announce their next new thing--and after all the kinks have been ironed out with EVDO, etc.

It would be nice to have fast Internet speeds now if I got the 700p, but I'm willing to bite the bullet for another 12-18 months. (My T650 is stable as all heck and am not willing to upgrade for the possibility of frustration.) By then, the whole smartphone landscape will really have changed, giving us even more choices than we have now.

For example, it would be cool if the next-gen Treo would inherit the soul of the LifeDrive (except w/flash memory instead of the Microdrive) but with the T650's form factor (unless the buttons are moved again!). I'm really anxious to see what PalmSource and Palm have in mind for their next OS. If it reamins at Palm 5.xx, I may have to jump ship to The Dark Side.
    The number one reason to go with a New EVDO Rev A device is that the new Treo will be a double pipe device. Meaning for the first time you'll be able to be on a phone call and also on the net or sending and recieving emails. A standard device like the 700p will run faster on Rev A but not being a double pipe unit will not get all the benefits.

So yes if the new unit launches end of Q4 like planned it will be worth it. Downside is lots more battery drain since you'll be using almost twice the power unless they have a severely improved processor that is less power hungry.
    questions: (i understand that some of these ?'s cannot be answered since we don't have all of the information but I am curious about people's thoughts)

1. when the new gsm phones come out... will they be the same edvo as ours?

2. will the "750p" be the same phone as the "700p" except that it is for gsm? (i ask this since the maker of chatter and other cool apps are on gsm and they can't debug the issues the cdma customers are experiencing since they don't have a cdma phone.)

3. was it not worth me entering the "treo world" since it is known that there are new treo's on the near horizon? should I (others) have waited to see what the near future may hold?
    Last edited by BabelFish; 07/16/2006 at 11:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    questions: (i understand that some of these ?'s cannot be answered since we don't have all of the information but I am curious about people's thoughts)

1. when the new gsm phones come out... will they be the same edvo as ours?

GSM has no standard as fast as evdo yet and nothing close to Rev A

2. will the "750p" be the same phone as the "700p" except that it is for gsm? (i ask this since the maker of chatter and other cool apps are on gsm and they can't debug the issues the cdma customers are experiencing since they don't have a cdma phone.)

3. was it not worth me entering the "treo world" since it is known that there are new treo's on the near horizon? should I (others) have waited to see what the near future may hold?
    No it's like a computer know upfront that the life is about 1yr if you want to stay with the latest and greatest
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The biggest change with rev A is, you will be able to surf the internet and talk at the same time. This requires a multi-tasking OS, and possibly some hardware changes as well. An 800p with the Linux-based Palm OS should do nicely!
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Even if the 700p was upgradeable to Rev A, it is doubtful Sprint will spend the money and time to upgrade the phone.

They advertised the Visor Phone as upgradeable to Vision and the PPC 6600 as upgradeable to EVDO, but neither upgrade was implemented.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    But these phones (800p for cdma) will not come out for several years. correct? 2+ I am assuming? the 650 was out for 3+ right?
    But these phones (800p for cdma) will not come out for several years. correct? 2+ I am assuming? the 650 was out for 3+ right?
    The 650 has been out for almost close to 2 years and I'm guessing the live cycle of the 700p is gonna be about the same. So by 2008 we should have the new Palm-Linux OS ready to be shipped with new Treos. By then EVDO will be available through all the Sprint network and the Treo 800w would be already out and working on EVDO rev. A Though, rev. A would be available only on major cities just like EVDO today.

Personally, I'm not dying to see a Treo 800p with EVDO Rev A. All I want is EVDO through all Sprint network and Palm to release a firmware update that fixes all the memory issues we currently have on the Treo 700p.

Al
    EVDO Rev A may appear by the end of this year as a pilot in a few markets. Sprint plans to have Rev A widely available by early next year. A couple Rev A phones are rumored for Oct on Sprint but we won't see smartphones until next year.

Sprint does plan to do EVDO on nearly 100% of network by end of next year. Verizon may be limited to about 75% of network and they haven't been saying much about future plans.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Unfortunately, Rev A is a hardware upgrade.

I discussed this (whether Rev A was a software or hardware upgrade) with my company's Sprint rep, before I got my Wireless WAN laptop card -- we've been promised free replacement cards to support Rev A when it is introduced in the fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    Nope.

Joe
    How do you know this? Is this a guess, or is this based on some specific information?
    That means my phone will be LESS THAN A YEAR OLD and it will be outdated?!?!

ummm... everyone else is OK WITH THIS!?!?!
    People post all sorts of stuff on this forum; I don't believe stuff like this until i see specific proof. I have a hard time believing that Sprint is going to sell the 700p only to make it unuseable a few months later.

I can already hear the responses from people who will say that this is exactly what Sprint wants to do, but I don't believe it... this forum is also where I read that Palm wouldn't release a Treo 700p, that POS was dead, that Linux would run the next Treo, etc., etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    ...Also, that's like making the analogy that all WiFi devices are obsolete because someone invented the WiMax standard.
    Exactly. When new Wi-Fi standards come out, the old ones aren't orphaned. I fully expect the 700p to work with the next iteration of EV-DO; having said that, however, I would expect that people like me will want to buy the latest and greatest, to get the fastest device available... it's a never-ending money pit...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast