1.    #1  
    I have always used the Adobe Reader for Palm on my 650, which includes a desktop app that is used to convert my .pdf docs before I hotsynch and load them.
    I've seen that many folks use Palm PDF. What is the difference in the two apps?
    From my limted use of PalmPDF thus far (just over a week), it does a more faithful job of rendering the PDF as it was created. The Adobe Reader desktop app converts the native PDF file and I have found it does not stay true to the original document layout.

The upshot to the conversion (into a PDB file, IIRC) is that is easier to read. The PalmPDF program takes native PDF files and displays them as they were created; it requires some left and right scrolling in addition to the up/down scrolling.

The real benefit is that you can simply drop a PDF file onto your SD card and PalmPDF will read it, no fuss, no muss. The Adobe Reader won't even recognize the file, and the extra step of converting the file can render an otherwise quick hotsync into a more lengthy process.
    You can zoom in and out in PalmPDF, so you -may- not have to scroll from side to side. Its main attraction, as you mentioned, is that it will open native .pdf files--no conversion required. PalmPDF will also convert .pdf files to some other reader formats (eReader, PalmFiction, TiBR, CSpotRun, iSilo, and MobiPocket) on the handheld.

I've been using PalmPDF for months, and recently tried Picsel ProViewer to compare. On my Zodiac 1, PalmPDF is a little slower than ProViewer, but it does a better job with my camera's .pdf manual--ProViewer displayed a blank square where PalmPDF displayed the nice picture of my camera. Also, PalmPDF lets you jump right to any page of a .pdf, but ProViewer makes you "turn pages" from page 1 to the one you want (or from the last page back to the one you want).

I quit using Adobe's converter/viewer about a week after I used it for the first time.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
  4.    #4  
    Great input - thanks so much.
    I get a lot of pdf's emailed to me. Will PalmPDF enable me to open them directly from Versamail. I find the Adobe Reader useless because I cannot view a PDF when I am on the road.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Yes - PalmPDF will act as a default viewer for PDF attachments.
    Quote Originally Posted by lauriefoss View Post
    I have always used the Adobe Reader for Palm on my 650, which includes a desktop app that is used to convert my .pdf docs before I hotsynch and load them.
    I've heard that you had to convert desktop PDFs to mobile PDFs to read them with Adobe Reader, but where do I find this app? Even the Adobe site isn't clear on this -- it says that you can convert them using Adobe Reader (desktop) v.8 but it doesn't say how.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnvw View Post
    I've heard that you had to convert desktop PDFs to mobile PDFs to read them with Adobe Reader, but where do I find this app? Even the Adobe site isn't clear on this -- it says that you can convert them using Adobe Reader (desktop) v.8 but it doesn't say how.
    Which is why its much easier to use PalmPDF, you only need your Palm so you don't have to be tethered to a desktop PC.

But if you want to convert files, lose some PDF formatting then Adobes software can be found here.

Really recommend you look at PalmPDF though
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I am a big fan of PalmPDF. All of my business travel itineraries are emailed to me in pdf format. With PalmPDF I can open the documents quickly and have access to my travel arrangements right on my phone. Saves a lot of time and hassle.