Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Uh oh. The flickering came back, but it stops after about 7-8 seconds.
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    For tracking battery performance/drain check out: BatteryGraph.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I tried this and saw no improvement in reducing "flicker".
    On my phone app I've seen all the icons flicker: EVDO, GPS, BT, Battery, even the time & date.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroprophet
    I have noticed while gazing at the battery icon and GPS cross-hair that they still do flicker but only once in a while - kinda like a normal screen refresh. Only flickers once every 20-30 secs and the two don't do it at the same time or in the same pattern when they do. Weird....
    Can we put some data to quantify the "flicker"? I do not see a repeating pattern, but my phone normally refreshes an icon on average once every 3-5 seconds. Sometimes it's more like once/second, sometimes it can be 10 seconds between refreshes. Again, that's the normal behavior for my Sprint 700p.

Quote Originally Posted by nptski
    I did the install and it appears as though the flicker has intensified on the gps crosshairs! I have bea off, bt off, did the kewboard install, why me?
    If I understand the keyboard driver correctly, when enabled (Status==ON), that's what it's supposed to do. After you power-on your Treo the driver burns battery power by searching for the external keyboard hardware. With the driver Power Saving feature disabled I believe it searches indefinately.

To expand on my empirical numbers above, while the driver is searching the "flicker" on my EVDO, GPS, and BT icons is much faster, on the order of 2-4 times per second for each icon.

If you set the Status=OFF and disable Power Saving, that should be the same as not having it installed at all. I.e., each time you power on you should get your normal flicker rate.

If you enable Power Saving the driver searches for only a limited amount of time, as specified by the Power Saving setting, each time you power-on your Treo. You can verify that by leaving the Keyboard driver app running with Power Saving Enabled and set to High then power-off/on the Treo. You should see the driver start ON then ~7 seconds later turn itself OFF. Of course that assumes you don't actually have an external keyboard in range. Alternatively, you can also watch the flicker rate slow down ~7 seconds after power on.

Note: if leave the driver installed and do not enable power saving or turn Status=OFF, your battery will drain even faster!

The question I have for the people who claim installing this and leaving it set OFF is...
    What is your flicker rate without the driver installed:
    Many times per second -or- Once every several seconds?

ERic
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    The hardest part of all of this is explaining to my wife that I have not totally lost it and that I have not become a Pagan praying to this new thingy that has captured my attention. Apparently, I need a life, at least right now!

I digress...the flicker does calm down as soon as the driver times out looking for a keyboard. My day was not all that busy yesterday, I made about 1/2 my normal of 90 calls and did surf the web for a while (which I rarely did on GPRS for obvious reasons) and had about 20 emails and had about 35% at 10:00PM. That is not all that bad compared to my 650 and I just switched to a 2400mh battery so the 700P might end being the real me.

I did turn off the "ask to connect" and went to fast mode with Blazer and I think I notice it now load the previous page (that seems slow if it is cached) and then connects making me think it might have stayed connected previously which may have been a power hog. I don't technically know what I am talking about but it seems logical. The keyboard thing is beyond me but very well could be helping. I haven't done all the steps in a terribly scientific manner, that's for the real wireheads that actually know something.
    thx
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    Presto...I have downloaded the driver, and noticed the slow down in flicker. Now...time will tell. I have the latest rev of BrightCam to try to save battery life and it has made a significant difference, so if this works too, the combination would be so choice...next will be 2400 mah and the combination of UWKD, BC, and Extended 2400 battery will be sweet. It may be wierd but if it works, it will be cool.
    Last edited by KStewart; 07/03/2006 at 03:22 PM.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Recap...I ended up removing UWKD. I kept it for a day and didn't see it extend battery life, and I installed it and its settings correctly. Extended battery is my next try.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I used this and the flicker of the little symbols at the top stopped.
    I have to admit that this works, I am at a time in the afternoon where I regularly would have less than 40%, with the keyboard driver trick I have about 75% left!!
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Also, wouldnt scheduling the bluetooth to turn off at night(when you dont use it) save on battery drain?
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Very OT: KStewart, do you have the back view of that photo you are using?
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky76
    Very OT: KStewart, do you have the back view of that photo you are using?
    I wish I did...I can only imagine.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I have an issue with a long orange from the LED. It seems the 700p is trying to pick up some transmission, though I don't know why. When the phone is off, the battery lasts forever (no duh), but with the phone on and no activity, the battery drains like crazy. Any ideas about what the long orange is about?
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Palm V > Vx > Clie Peg T615C > T3 > Clie TH55 > T3 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p & T3
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Recap...I ended up removing UWKD. I kept it for a day and didn't see it extend battery life, and I installed it and its settings correctly.
    Me too. Four days and no difference. Buh-bye.
    i cant see how this program helps out much...just go to preferences and power and shut off beam and keep your bluetooth inactive unless u are using it
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Not sure if it (UWKD) helped me much, seems like mixed results. I suppose there are so many variations of installed apps it is difficult to find the solution. These forums are of great help and the feedback is much better than support.

Sadly, I had high hopes for Bluetooth but it is a disappoinment. Maybe I am unrealistically looking for a small device to have so much capacity but BT is essentially unusable for me. I use a lot of airtime (60,000 min/yr + email) and cannot anticipate when I will receive call and unless I can have it on all day, it is useless so I have to use a wired headset. Da Boom (wired) sounds pretty good from what I have read...
    thx
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    I think that the initial poster is on to something here, but not necessarily with the keyboard driver (which I'll admit I haven't tried). GPS is a feature that is new to the 700p and may, by itself, be the cause of battery drain. I switched mine to 911 only and I am getting much better battery life.
    Regards,

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by rbienstock
    I think that the initial poster is on to something here, but not necessarily with the keyboard driver (which I'll admit I haven't tried). GPS is a feature that is new to the 700p and may, by itself, be the cause of battery drain. I switched mine to 911 only and I am getting much better battery life.
    I totally agree...as did I. Lets just hope I don't get abducted by women from mars without the possiblity of being located. My added addition of BrightCam has increased battery life significantly also.
    at&t iPhone3G
    After tuning off my IR beam i have been getting way better battery. i believe thats a big help,since the beam is continuously on, all the time.
    Where are the GPS settings located?
    In main phone screen-> phone prefs -> loacation/911 only
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast