Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have a 650 and decided to order a 700p today. Not sure if I should share this story, but I couldn't resist. LOL, I hope Sprint doesn't read it and hassle me!

I've been a Sprint customer for about eight years. My local Sprint store wanted to charge me the full retail price (yeah right) minus a $75 rebate. The price was still obscene, over $500! I just laughed at them and left.

Instead, I called Sprint customer service. I told the first agent that I deserve * at least * the same respect and price as new customers get ($400), but she didn't budge, so I asked to speak with her supervisor. The supervisor didn't budge either, but I kept arguing and emphasizing how long I've been a Sprint customer (since 1998), so she finally transferred me to the retention department.

The woman in that department was MUCH nicer to me (can you say "bonus" or "commission") and she asked if I'd leave Sprint for another carrier if not for getting what I wanted. I said yes, but I'd rather not, so they should give me a reason to stay. Then she put me on hold several times, each time saying she's trying things on her computer and/or talking with someone else. Finally she asked how I'd feel about paying $349. Me: "I'll take it!" (I had to commit to another two years, but that's fine, since I'm basically content with their network and service plan.)

I'm very happy with this price, but I can't help wondering -- how much more could I have pushed it?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I just found this OTHER thread at http://tinyurl.com/olaz8 which answers my question... I was too quick to say yes... looks like I could have saved another $100. Darn it.

To the people who got down to $249: was it just a matter of telling the retention agents, "C'mon, you can do better than that"...?
    evan. there is nothing wrong with telling retnion you plan to move to another carier. the agetmns retention commssion on getting you to stay is based on your stated threat to quit.

the discounts they can ofer are based on two things:

1) your account value. this is a numerical value calculated on payment history, length of service and profitability of the existing account.

2) finite promotion spiffs each retention csr is given every 14 days to offer you to stay. if they have used some/many they are less able to give you certian discounts/credits.

$349 s a respectable price for a retention deal. $300 is the lowest one would get direct from sprint. people saying lower are confisuing other factors like trade ins, or their own confusion about how credits work (eg they are double counting rebates for which you are inelgible if you take stepp credits) etc.

I would go for $350 or $300 and focus on geting discounted or free powervsion and messaging.

if you have been an on-time bill paying customer since 98 you certainly are elble for $300 to $350 for the handset AND 20 to 25% off your bill, 7 pm nights, plus powervision at $0 to $5 per month (retention powevsion is $10 with $5 and $10 credits available) as well as an easy $8 credit on the $8 500 msgs fee. You also should not pay activations, shipping etc.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I called them back today and got another $50 credit.

Good stuff! Thanks, fellow Treonauts!!
    I didn't want to go through all that retention center business and came up with a another way to upgrade to the 700p. Though I didn't get any monthly discounts, I did the following:

1) Ordered the phone as a new line of service via PALM to get the $100 instant off from PALM plus the 1 GB card bring it down to $549.
    2) Activated the phone with two year service contract to get the $150 from Sprint which brought it down to $399.
    3) Deactivated my 650 a few days later and in the process asked them to switch the numbers so my 700p would have the 650's phone number.
    4) I already own a 2 GB card so I packaged my 650 with the free 1GB SD card Palm sent me and sold it on eBAY for $285 swhich brought my total cost to upgrade down to about $115 and go to keep the same phone number without having to haggle with anyone from Sprint.

Know what the kicker of it all is? I had only paid the $50 insurance deductible for the 650 when I had dropped the 600 in toilet a few four months prior. And if the 650 hadn't met the reserve I posted on eBay of $199, then I would sold it for $150 through the Palm offer instead. Sometimes it pays to have a crappy phone.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Bob-C,

Seeing that you sold your 650 you obviously met your contract obligation and had no early termination fee. Why didn't you just upgrade to the 700P for $399 and then sell your 650 on Ebay?
    I believe that Palm will not sell you an upgrade to a current number even if you are out contract. You have to go to Sprint for that which elimates Palm's $100 discount and free SD card. Either way neither would give you the added $150 for 2 year contract without combatting your way through Sprint reps and getting to Retentions. I couldn't be bothered.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Sprint has the Treo 700P for $399 with new service. New service is renewing your contract for two years after your old one epxires. You could have gotten the Treo 700P for $399 and still sold the 650 on Ebay for $285. You could have still gotten the $285 without the SD card too.

It doens't matter now. You still came out the other end with a good deal.

I'm doing a similar thing with Cingular. I just ordered a new Treo 650 by adding a line to my family talk plan. I am going to replace my RAZR V3 phone with the Treo and then cancel the new line a little later and pay $175 for an early termination fee. I am getting the new Treo 650 for about $375 after all that. They wanted close to $500 if bought a new one outright without new service.
    No...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I called Sprint today to get the tracking number for my 700p, and they told me it's on backorder, but they didn't seem to have much faith in their own answer. They rambled something about the system not being updated and how my 700 would probably ship today, etc., but I didn't want to wait anymore. So I convinced them to let me pick one up from a local store and have them note it on my account. They agreed, so I got it today. (Bummer that they couldn't -- or didn't want to be bothered with -- checking the inventory of local stores for me. I had to check myself by calling around.)

The surprisingly competent and friendly manager at the store complimented me on getting the $300 price. I think maybe she paid more.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phaggard
    I am getting the new Treo 650 for about $375
    Wait a second... you're paying $375 for a 650 when some of us are paying $300 for a 700p?

It's your money, but dude, that's really dumb.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    That will be $375 without renewing my contract. If you were to buy the 700P now outright you would be paying $600 or $700. Dude...
    When I got my 650 from Sprint at the beginning of June, I didn't renew my contract and got it for $99 from retentions. I ended up renewing my contract a few days later anyway b/c I switched to SERO.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    This is quoted from this website.

"If you are adding the 700p to an existing plan, the Sprint device will cost you $649 and the Verizon device $619."
    If you're upgrading always argue as much as you can and then ask for a PAC code, not sure if it's called that over the pond but it is here in the UK - it's the code used to transfer your number to another carrier. As soon as they here that you're definately leaving and not just threatening to leave the offers usualy hit the lowest they can give. Even if they give you a PAC code you don't have to use it and can accept the best offer they gave you so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by evank
    To the people who got down to $249: was it just a matter of telling the retention agents, "C'mon, you can do better than that"...?
    Granted, I'm replying to a post from over a week ago but Amazon is now selling the 700p for both Sprint and Verizon for $250 after the usual 2 year bit. I used this as a starting point with retention and that I wanted her to do better than what I could get at amazon. She asked what price I was looking for, I said $100 and she came back after talking to her manager with $150. We then talked about various discounts and credits on my monthly bill.
    phaggard, I got the treo 700p for $400 a month ago, and I didn't have to renew my contract. I think you need to make a deal with retentions if you plan on truely having the upperhand.
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    I'm glad to see that others are taking similar routes to receive discounts on their 700p's. I have been a Sprint customer for close to 10 years and I used that to my advantage when upgrading from my 650.

The 700p cost $649 at the store. They gave me a $75 equipment upgrade for the phone since I owned the 650 for a year. That brought me down to $574

Before spending this ridiculous amount of money for a new phone, I wanted to make sure I could at least get some credits applied to my account since I have been a loyal customer for so long. I spoke with the retention department for at least a half hour and they ended up crediting $285 to my account.

Total price with service credits = $289

I’m now selling my 650 on eBay and it’s going for $220 with two days left. This should hopefully end at a price over $289… All said and done, I’ll probably make a few bucks off the upgrade!

I did forget to ask for things like plan discounts, free txt msg, cheaper power vision, etc. So if you’re trying to get a deal, be sure to at least ask for some of that stuff…
    Last edited by chymo; 07/09/2006 at 12:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackboxsocial
    phaggard, I got the treo 700p for $400 a month ago, and I didn't have to renew my contract. I think you need to make a deal with retentions if you plan on truely having the upperhand.

My problem is that I am with Cingular. I don't believe they have a retention department like Sprint.
    How does negotiating with Sprint work if you are on a shared plan?

My 2 years on my Treo 600 just expired. However my wife got a new Sanyo phone in November and reupped the contract to 2 years as of November 2005.

I would be able to cancel *my* line of service without cost, but they must know that cancelling my entire plan would be an expensive plan.

Do people have any luck with this kind of negotiation? And can I use the following (true) argument: "My wife does not want me to spend over $200 on a phone. Can you give it to me for under $200 to keep her content?"

Forgot to mention: We have been customers since 2000 and are currently lining sprint's pockets with a $100/mo shared plan.

Steve
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast