Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Has anyone else seen this? I tried to do a hard reset and, instead of the usual, "erase all data?" screen, I got the "update ROM?" screen. I have no idea what I did differently and neither Sprint nor Palm tech support could help me.

For what it's worth, I selected "no" and go the dreaded "test pattern screen of death". I did another hard reset and now every thing seems fine. I even did a few extra hard resets just to see if it would happen again, and it hasn't.

My main question is this: is this a bad device or did I do something wrong, such as push an extra button during the hard reset, release the button too soon, etc., in order to access the update ROM screen (which Palm says is impossible, since it doesn't exist)...

Like I said, the device has been really stable ever since (two 1/2 days) but the question of whether or not I have a bad device continues to lurk in the back of my mind...

FYI: more info on the dreaded "test pattern screen of death" can be found here.
    You probably found an undocumented key combo that put you into that screen. Palm CSRs probably are not aware of certain things that engineers put into the unit that aren't documented... you may have discovered something new! I wonder what keys you pressed... LOL!
    I get to that screen when I hold up on the pad, hold the power button, hold the hotsync button and reset. However I only get it for as long as I am holding all of the buttons and have released the reset. When I let off the buttons, it goes to the patern of death. I am willing to bet that if you held up on the pad, held the power button and reset the device, you would get back there. I will give it a whirl tomorrow and report back if I have a chance. Meanwhile, give it a try. You can always reset to get back. As long as you dont have a rom file on your sd card, there is no danger of messing things up. These are HTC built PDA's and they all have standard bootloaders and share alot of commands.
    Last edited by bit_bucket; 06/27/2006 at 08:18 PM.
    bit_bucket
    somehow you got into the bootloader... The bootloader screen now asked if you want to update the ROM.

Just reset and you should be fine. If it keeps happening by itself, there is something wrong.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    When I talked to Palm tech support the woman said that a) there is no such thing as an "update ROM" screen, and b) if I got to the bootloader screen, then I wouldn’t have been able to escape from it and that there's something wrong with my device. She couldn't tell me how I might have brought this behavior on myself. She escalated the issue to level 2 and I'm awaiting a call from a level 2 technician in the next 24-48 hours.

I want to believe that I pressed an undocumented key combo, and I'm comforted by the fact that I was able to reset out of the bootloader screen, as opposed to others, who had to remove the battery for hours.

The only other thing that's still troubling me is that when I performed the first hard reset, then placed the Treo in the cradle, when I pushed the HotSync button, the Treo reset. This happened several times until I did a second hard reset, which is when the whole "ROM update" thing occurred. I don't know if I somehow screwed up the hard reset or if the there's an issue with my device. Since then, however, all has been well...

Thanks for all the feedback - I'll look forward to hearing back from bit bucket.

reubkov
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I just tried holding down the power button, up on the d-pad and reset at the same time, as bit bucket suggested, and got the "erase all data?" screen. No "update ROM?" screen with this combo. I also tried holding down:

power + home + reset
    power + home + up + reset
    power + home + mail + up + reset
    power + d-pad select + reset
    power + the green button (opposite the power button) + reset

I didn't try holding down the HotSync button, since I know I didn't have it connected to the cable when the 'update ROM" screen appeared and there's no real way to do hard reset while the unit's in the cradle...

reubkov
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    just hold down the hotsync button while you reset, keep holding it...that works for me

I think it is for the service techs to "re-flash" the rom via an sdcard
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    When you say hold down the HotSync button, do mean the one on the cable or the cradle? I don't think there's a way to reset while the device is on the cradle, and I know that I didn't have the HotSync cable attached to my device when I did the hard reset that resulted in the "update ROM" screen. Is it possible that I accessed this screen via a different combo of key presses by mistake or might it mean that I have a defective device?

Much thanks,

reubkov
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Thats strange, I've only seen it while connected to the cable via reseting while holding the hotsync button. I don't know how that would happen otherwise, but you really have nothing to worry about if it doesn't happen again(on a regular basis), and the treo is ok otherwise.
    I got the update ROM screen when trying to do a hotsync. I don't know if I was inadvertantly pushing other buttons when doing this. I selected "no" on the update rom screen and that brought up the test pattern. I was unable to get out with a soft reset, but removing the battery for a couple of seconds worked. No data lost, I haven't had the problem since (4-5 hotsyncs).
    Quote Originally Posted by reubkov
    When I talked to Palm tech support the woman said that a) there is no such thing as an "update ROM" screen, and b) if I got to the bootloader screen, then I wouldn’t have been able to escape from it and that there's something wrong with my device. She couldn't tell me how I might have brought this behavior on myself. She escalated the issue to level 2 and I'm awaiting a call from a level 2 technician in the next 24-48 hours.
    She's clueless. It's just the bootloader screen. You get to it by hitting the reset button while holding down the hotsync button and you get out of it by hitting the reset button again or by removing the battery. Nothing magical.
    Hi,

My treo keeps trying to hotsync all day long. When I do a soft reset or a hard reset, all I get is that bootloader screen. When I leave the battery out for a while, the treo reboots properly and nothing is lost, but then it tries to hotsync itself all over again and again and again.

Do I just have a bad treo?

many thanks
    Yea i had that same problem, with the all day hotsync problem and then i do a soft reset, and then it would got to the "update rom" screen. and when i pressed NO. it went into a colored box screen and would stay there. I would have to keep the battery out for days, or let the battery drain all the way to 0% to get it to go back to normal. Took it to the sprint store they did there little software install. Worked fine for a few days, and went back to the same thing. So finally i called up sprint and they sent me a replacement since everytime i went to the store, they was so called out of stock or didn't have any available for warrenty replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by reubkov View Post
    When you say hold down the HotSync button, do mean the one on the cable or the cradle? I don't think there's a way to reset while the device is on the cradle, and I know that I didn't have the HotSync cable attached to my device when I did the hard reset that resulted in the "update ROM" screen. ...
    In post #5 of this thread, you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by reubkov View Post
    The only other thing that's still troubling me is that when I performed the first hard reset, then placed the Treo in the cradle, when I pushed the HotSync button, the Treo reset. This happened several times until I did a second hard reset, which is when the whole "ROM update" thing occurred.
    So it looks like both reset and hotsync operations were happening at the same time. Noodle said he can do the same thing on his device. I doubt your device is defective.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!