Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love my Treo 700p to death but am bothered by the fact that the screen won't dim to an acceptable level during phone calls and streaming. I have also emailed Kinoma and Palm regarding the issue of the screen not dimming while streaming audio. I have been searching endlessly for software to dim my screen either partially or completely and stumbled onto a free application called AutoDimmer. The software is available here: www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/autodimmer.shtml

After installation, the software shows up in your prefrences folder at the very bottom. After you enable it, it automatically dims your screen regardless of program or phone use at a level you choose, and returns it to normal brightness after touching the screen or any button. You can select the number of seconds that elapse before the screen dims also. Give it a try, it's free!!!!

You can disable the program while you view movies using players like TCPMP so the screen won't dim, then enable it afterwards in the click of a button.

It's worth a try until Palm makes a patch for the problem. Good luck!!!
    Thanks for the app, im going to try it out now, hopefully my treo wont catch fire.
    Wow the thing works flawlessly it puts the meny on your prefs all the way in the bottom , this thing is great, who would think a app made in 2003 would work with the 700 with no problem
    I don't do a lot of streaming, but this is a very cool program and works really well. I like that the screen actually fades out, looks cool. Thanks for the find!
    I just downloaded it to my 700p. Works very nicely so far. Thanks!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Thanks for the 411, David! I'll definitely try this out.
    I'm confused, my Treo dims during the phone call. In the power section of preferences you can set how long to wait until dimming the screen during the call. I don't use streaming with Kinoma so I can't comment about that.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I'm confused, my Treo dims during the phone call. In the power section of preferences you can set how long to wait until dimming the screen during the call. I don't use streaming with Kinoma so I can't comment about that.
    True, the screen dims slightly while on a call, but with this software, you can set it to go almost completely dark while on a call to conserve power. Hope that clears up what confuses you, if not, I am confused about what confuses you.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Took me a while to figure out where it was, then I came back to this post and found ricks post, now I feel stupid. But I just went into the attrib part of filez and checked the launchable button, now its in the menu.

I have noticed it works ok, but with kinoma player, the screen will launch up again to normal brightness about every 30seconds, and then fade back down in 10sec or so.
    Yeah. I was seeing some funkiness with AutoDimmer too. I also don't like the fact that it effects every program when Kinoma streaming is all I care about.

I did a little more searching and found HandyAid it hasn't been updated recently, it's a $11.95, and it has more features than I need (or would trust on my 700p)...but it does have a neat "Display Saver Group" feature that lets you define a screen dim from 5 secs to 20 min per application!

I just tried HandyAid , turning off every feature except a single "Display Saver Group" entry with "Web" as the application. It not only dims the screen, but also turns off the keyboard! And only in Blazer.

Unfortunately, Kinoma is not a separate app. But a 30 second screen/keyboard timeout limited to Blazer would suffice until Palm can fix Kinoma. If only there were a nice little freeware app that would do this single feature.

...and $12 is a bit steep for this single feature. Maybe I'll just plug in the phone when I'm streaming in my car.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Great find! Thanks..
    I'm going to give both of these apps a try. Thanks for the find(s).
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    After playing around with this, it works pretty well. However, TCMP also dims while watching a movie. If someone could find a freeware app like this allows exceptions, it would be perfect.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    After playing around with this, it works pretty well. However, TCMP also dims while watching a movie. If someone could find a freeware app like this allows exceptions, it would be perfect.
    The only thing i could figure is to disable it while you use TCMP and enable it once you are finished.
    Working fine on my Treo 650 and saving battery. Thanks.
    I'm using Phone Technician...works great!
    I've been using AutoDimmer and it works. But after a while it completely turns off the backlight and I cannot get it to turn back on. The only way I can get it to turn the backlight back on is to exit the application.

Is there something I'm missing here?
    Absolutly perfect.

- Free.
    - Shuts off the backlight to the screen (which also removes most of the high pitched whine I hear...still has a bit of a screech from the keyboard backlight though)
    - screen turns back on when key is hit
    - easy to configure and places itself in the config menu
    kb lights off, are u guys using this program for the keypad?
    or is there a free one available ?

http://www.palmblvd.com/software/pc/...2-palm-pc.html
    is everyone using this program to get there screen to turn off...?

it seems to turn it off but after some time it turns on again then turns off again, doesnt stay off the whole call, what gives,,,grrrr

looking for a good combo program to keep the keypad and screen off, any ideas?

using KB lights off and this dimmer program but aint working correctly, the keypad stays off but then when screen dimms from phone setting keypad comes back on and when i manually turn off keypad the screen comes back on, they are like fighting eachother
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast