1.    #1  
    Is LauncherX the only truly 700p friendly launcher right now for the 700p?
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Not at all. I strongly suggest you try zlauncher. Go to zztechs.com and find the zlauncher beta page. The developer has been working on fixing the few and minor issues with the 700p. The beta is very stable. Anyway, I have tried EVERY launcher for palm and I always go back to zlauncher. It is incredibly powerful and customizableľno launcher touches the amount of features and intuitiveness that zlauncher has. It's funny, the complaints I've usually seen about zlauncher is that its too big or has too many features! Are you kidding???
    Been fooling around with a couple of different launchers ..... Launcher X is ok - ZLauncher has far more features, options. I'm using the trial version now and can't get the Default Launcher preference to work. Anytime I leave the apps (use the phone etc) I'm back to the Palm launcher. What have I missed?
    Only thing I noticed about Zlauncher is that it seems to slow things down a bit. Is anyone experiencing this? Does Zlauncher use a lot of memory (RAM)? It seems to hang on to memory that it uses after launching.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey
    Only thing I noticed about Zlauncher is that it seems to slow things down a bit. Is anyone experiencing this? Does Zlauncher use a lot of memory (RAM)? It seems to hang on to memory that it uses after launching.

Thanks
    My experience also, lag btwn applications etc. Was a ZL customer am now LX customer. Works very well without any lag etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    ...no launcher touches the amount of features and intuitiveness that zlauncher has. It's funny, the complaints I've usually seen about zlauncher is that its too big or has too many features! Are you kidding???
    While I do see that ZLauncher seems to be a decent launcher, my impression, each time I've tried it, is that ZLauncher suffers from feature bloat.

IMHO, the mark of a well-designed application is the decision NOT to put every requested feature into an application, but rather to keep an application focused and uncluttered with little-used features that make the GUI visually difficult to use. That's been my complaint with ZLauncher; I'm sure there are others who would argue that the very features that I find unnecessary are those features that they value in ZL.

I like LauncherX's uncluttered interface, its perfect feature set for my needs. I have yet to find a feature missing from LauncherX that I wish it would include. I used Launcher III many years ago, and liked it then, and am very pleased with LauncherX these days on my 700p.
    I am playing with a few launcher right now so I can't really say which one is a "better" product for =me=.

but I do notice the features of ZL. you will suffer some performance hit if you move an applicatoin to SD, but do realize this save you the SPACE on your treo.... I guess you'll have to weight the need and want.
    I tried them all and ended up using FacerPro
    Treoing & Loving it
    I think that Initiate by Hobbyist Software is the best launcher for a Treo. This takes adavantage of the fact the treo is a smart phone. I have all my apps and contacts in list format. I can either type a contact (then select the contact to then choose to email/phone/sms the contact) or type a program name to launch it.

No need to pull out the stylus. You can then use launcherx or z launcher as a backup launcher to perform others task such as deleteing programs or whatever.

I just think that initiate was made for treo users and its perfect for a day to day launcher to call/email/sms people or run programs.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    While I do see that ZLauncher seems to be a decent launcher, my impression, each time I've tried it, is that ZLauncher suffers from feature bloat.

IMHO, the mark of a well-designed application is the decision NOT to put every requested feature into an application, but rather to keep an application focused and uncluttered with little-used features that make the GUI visually difficult to use. That's been my complaint with ZLauncher; I'm sure there are others who would argue that the very features that I find unnecessary are those features that they value in ZL.

I like LauncherX's uncluttered interface, its perfect feature set for my needs. I have yet to find a feature missing from LauncherX that I wish it would include. I used Launcher III many years ago, and liked it then, and am very pleased with LauncherX these days on my 700p.
    While I agree that application bloat in general is a bad thing, I cannot say that that has been my experience with zlauncher. I've never experienced any performance issues with it, and I use basically EVERY one of its features. I think it's also A LOT more intuitive than launcher x. There are many more ways to view/launch/modify files in zlauncher for example. I think the one feature that may be slowing systems down is the quicklaunch feature which I don't use. If this is indeed slowing peoples' treos down I suspect it's more of a 700p problem than zlauncher's. check the threads related to "hede" type processes/applications on the 700p and you'll see that the device cannot handle them so well for some reason. Because of this I had to disable one of my favorite programs, Butler. I have tried EVERY launcher out there and given each a fair chance but they hold nothing to zlauncher.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Chazzan

"If this is indeed slowing peoples' treos down I suspect it's more of a 700p problem than zlauncher's. "

Why is then when I took ZL out the 700p performs better, and it seems like fafafooey had the same exp

"Only thing I noticed about Zlauncher is that it seems to slow things down a bit"

Its the program. Try it yourself see if it makes a difference?

* I never used quick launcher
    zlauncher is great, but it was better on 650, because the 700p takes a hit on performance. Just try to play an mp3 on pocket tunes in the backround with zlauncher. Just letting it sit there and not even switching categories it has a constant skip every 3-5 seconds. At least it always has done that on my 700p. Maybe they can come out with a fix for that or just make a zlauncher lite that uses less resourses.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones
    Chazzan

"If this is indeed slowing peoples' treos down I suspect it's more of a 700p problem than zlauncher's. "

Why is then when I took ZL out the 700p performs better, and it seems like fafafooey had the same exp

"Only thing I noticed about Zlauncher is that it seems to slow things down a bit"

Its the program. Try it yourself see if it makes a difference?

* I never used quick launcher
    Uh...that's exactly what I meant. The 700p seems to have major memory issues, data access issues and issues related to hede type apps/processes. So when you remove zlauncher from your 700p, your 700p works better because it cannot handle zlauncher for one or all of these reasons. Have you tried zlauncher on another device? I'm willing to bet that there is no noticeable slowdown with other devices. Furthermore, I am not experiencing any slowdowns whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphsutton
    Is LauncherX the only truly 700p friendly launcher right now for the 700p?
    Just for clarification, by "launcher" do you mean something that:

1. Let's you categorize your programs on indivuidual user configurable screens and "launch" them from said screens
    2. Let's you move stuff to card while keeping launch icons on user configurable screens.
    3. Let's you change basic interface adding tabs, utility icons, etc.
    4. All of the above.

Reason I ask is cause when somrone asks me what launcher I use, I usually answer the "Palm Default Launcher" (Item 1 above) ....which as far as I know works just fine on the 700p

Power Run does Item 2

Zlauncher and others do all 3
    Anyone tried Ispin? Looks nice, but not heard of performance/features/etc.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    Uh...that's exactly what I meant. The 700p seems to have major memory issues, data access issues and issues related to hede type apps/processes. So when you remove zlauncher from your 700p, your 700p works better because it cannot handle zlauncher for one or all of these reasons. Have you tried zlauncher on another device? I'm willing to bet that there is no noticeable slowdown with other devices. Furthermore, I am not experiencing any slowdowns whatsoever.
    The thread headline :

Launcher options that work well on 700p?

Your even saying that the 700p does Not play well the ZL

"The 700p seems to have major memory issues, data access issues and issues related to hede type apps/processes. So when you remove zlauncher from your 700p, your 700p works better because it cannot handle zlauncher for one or all of these reasons."

Its not just me saying they had and issues with performance with using ZL!

ZL might not be the best launcher for the 700p in its present state, Agreed?
    Last edited by sjjones; 07/11/2006 at 06:54 AM.