1.    #1  
    I am a very new user to this - and I read somewhere that it might have something to do w/ the embedded mail program - which doesn't seem to make sense to me - since there was the same prog. on my 650 - or at least I thought so.

I keep getting a white screen when I switch apps... and a please wait more then I did w/ the 650 - my pocket-tunes skips when the screen is off.

what's going on here?

I read a lot of fixes, suggestions, etc.. but shouldn't this just not be?

also - any suggestions on how to increase the speed overal - would be greatly apprecaited - I remember a hack for my old kyocera 7535 that greatly improved its speed.. is there something like that for this phone?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Everyone's hoping a 700p update from Sprint in a few months will help with the perceived slowness. Personally, it doesn't seem any worse than a 650. The 700p doesn't crash nearly as much, so from that perspective, I'm quite happy.

Joe
    Give it a few months. Palm knows about the speed problems and will hopefully find a solution. The 700p is about 50% slower than the 650.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Give it a few months. Palm knows about the speed problems and will hopefully find a solution. The 700p is about 50% slower than the 650.
    you gotta be kidding me. Damn it. I should have waited.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Thats kind of steep. I also don't run 40 diferent apps on my device either, so to each is own.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Thats kind of steep. I also don't run 40 diferent apps on my device either, so to each is own.
    Kind of steep? It's actually worse than that. The 50% slower was tested using my 650 which is loaded with software and a brand new 700p with nothing installed. The 700p gets slower as you load anything onto it.
    Maybe something is wrong with your 700p, 50% slower is unacceptable. My 700p is on par with the speed of my 650, I occasionally see a tiny lag moving from chatter to agendus with the hard buttons. You should get your 700p checked out if yours is more than 50% slower than your 650, sounds defective.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    you gotta be kidding me. Damn it. I should have waited.
    Well, not to bash Palm (okay, maybe I'll bash them a little bit), but this is fairly typical of a new product release. There are always bugs, particularly the treo models. They ultimately get addressed over time as updates are made available.

This is the price of being an early adopter with Palm.

That said, I'm not seeing a 50% decrease in speed.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    50% is unacceptable, sounds like a defective Treo to me. I'm surprised you would be willing to use a device that is that slow. Bring it back.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I don't have a 650 to compare with, but I've gone through three 700p's in the last couple of weeks (various quality issues) and none of them exhibited any kind of strange pause or delay. It seem splenty fast to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Maybe something is wrong with your 700p, 50% slower is unacceptable. My 700p is on par with the speed of my 650, I occasionally see a tiny lag moving from chatter to agendus with the hard buttons. You should get your 700p checked out if yours is more than 50% slower than your 650, sounds defective.
    Please post your benchmark scores to back up your claims. I've already posted by 650 scores for Speedy, pBench and VFSMark.
    According to the ChatterEmail developer, Marc Blank, who has high level contacts within Palm, there are significant changes to the memory system. One of the dimensions to this problem of a perceived lack of speed is that code "optimized" to run on a 650 is not optimized to run on the 700p. Backwards compatibility doesn't mean everything runs quickly. While Palm can do some tuning and probably will, developers also need time to optimize their code for the new treo. When everything settles down I expect the speed to be on a par with the 650.

Sam