1.    #1  
    Is it possible to get a bluetooth adapter for a laptop, and then use the treo 650 as a modem for the laptop? I would assume the data transfer rates, unless you have the really high speed plan, would be rather slow, but is this possible?
    Last edited by drinkeii; 06/26/2006 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to request email replies
    Seach:
    Dun
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #3  
    Ah yes, I see...duh - need to read more before writing... heh. Thanks!
    who is your carrier?
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    Verizon - I found the patch for the phone... and got it working.
    great
    Just call me Berd.
    I also want to use my verizon treo 650 as a (dial up) modem to send and receive faxes from my laptop via Bluetooth (or sync cable). I used to do this on my Kyocera 7135 via the sync cable. I have installed the shadowmite hack. Pairing is in place. The laptop (somehow) has identified a "bluetooth modem" which I can select in my fax program. I know there is communication between the laptop and the treo because the treo screen turns on and the computer to phone (DUN) icon shows connection when I click the fax program to send. The fax program send screen opens normally. However, the treo DUN icon stops moving in three seconds and no fax gets sent. There are no more settings in the treo bluetooth setup. What set up is required on the laptop? I am assuming the settings are either in the phone and fax or modem settings in the control panel or in the bluetooth stacker driver software. The options in all three seem to lack what ever I need. On the other hand, maybe it is not possible to send faxes along the dial-up network with my above setup. Is there anyone who is sending and receiving faxes on a (bluetooth) tethered computer using the treo 650? If so, how are you doing this?
    Be careful about using your Verizon phone as a modem. There are some serious limitations that they place on that type of use. I've heard that they will drop your data service. Here are the details copied from the Verrizon website:
    Unlimited PDA/Smartphone and BlackBerryr Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications & capabilities permit unless you subscribe to the Tethering Feature; (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops, personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or BlackBerry Solutions, unless you subscribe to the Tethering Feature; (3) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games unless offered through Get It Now or V CAST; (4) with server devices or with host computer applications, including without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, telemetry applications, automated functions or any other machine-to-machine application; or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, and/or (5) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.
    Riding the Tucson roads & trails
    I don't subscribe to any e-mail or web service.
    I know nothing about Get It Now, or EVDO, GPRS/Edge etc. Thanks for the TOS warning. I want to take things one step at a time. First hurdle is being able to send and receive regular ol' faxes with my notebook computer using the treo 650 as the modem. I used to do it just fine with the Kyocera 7135. After I get faxing to work, I'll deal with the Verizon TOS, if I have to.
    So my questions remain: can it be done and if so, how?
    You're right. I was thinking of using the data plan to connect but you're talking about using voice minutes, right?
    I don't know if you can use the bluetooth to transfer data.
    Riding the Tucson roads & trails