Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently switched over to the world of Mac's. I've been having a great deal of trouble trying to get the 700p to sync with the Apple software. I have gotten the phone to sync with the Palm software, but I wanted the data to be more integrated with the OS. I attempted to sync with iSync, but I could not even get the program to add the 700p. How have Mac users been getting around this issue? What have you found as the best solutions? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Welcome to the Apple family! You will never look back.

I, too, have the 700p and sync everything with the Missing Sync. Aside from some dup contacts sometimes, which are being worked out, it works effortlessly:

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php
  3.    #3  
    Hey, thanks a lot. I actually just received my custom MBP today, best purchase I ever made. Did you have a similar problem with iSync before installing The Missing Sync, not being able to add the phone? I'm curious if this is a problem specific to my situation or if other people are experiencing it as well.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camhabib
    Did you have a similar problem with iSync before installing The Missing Sync, not being able to add the phone?
    Good question. I'd heard that there were some bugs, so I didn't even attempt it. From the very start, I only used Missing Sync and had it all up and running with no conduit errors in about 20 minutes.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks a lot for all the info. Just purchased it, hopefully I'll get it up and running soon.
    I've used The Missing Sync for a few years now, it's a mandatory app for a Palm and a Mac to co-exist There are so many features that make it worth the purchase.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I recently switched over to the world of Mac's. I've been having a great deal of trouble trying to get the 700p to sync with the Apple software. I have gotten the phone to sync with the Palm software, but I wanted the data to be more integrated with the OS. I attempted to sync with iSync, but I could not even get the program to add the 700p. How have Mac users been getting around this issue? What have you found as the best solutions? Thanks.

Didi you enable "Palm OS Syncing" within ISync?
    Honestly, I'm not normally one to buy third party apps, especially when it SHOULD work out of the box for hundreds of dollars--but like the folks above me are saying, Missing Sync is SO much more than just a way to get your info to sync. You can create a custom playlisti in itunes that will sync with pocket tunes. Even cooler, you can set it to automatically sync all pictures you take on the treo into an album in iPhoto. You can also do custom backups, sync voice memos....

in short, buy it.

-split
    I don't agree that Missing Sync is a "must-have," although perhaps it adds features about which I'm unaware...

I sync all the time with my Mac, without any trouble, and I've never used Missing Sync. Here are the things that I can think of that you will want to know (others will hopefully add to this):

Open HotSync Manager and then select CONDUITS from the HOTSYNC menu. Make sure that the iSync conduit is there; there are some conduits you'll want to remove; I think they're Contacts and Calendar. You won't ever need to use Palm Desktop, since the iSync conduit will use the Apple Address Book and iCal.

I remember reading instructions for this; perhaps someone else will know where to send you for them...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treodub
    Didi you enable "Palm OS Syncing" within ISync?
    I did enable it, however, a few seconds after the start of the sync, an error comes and and the sync stops.
    What does Missing Sync provide that I'm missing, that I don't get when using iSync?
    Last edited by longterm; 06/26/2006 at 05:16 PM.
  12.    #12  
    So I got it to sync via the iSync program. It looks like everything got transfered over, the only issue is that the HotSync gives me an error that the process was interrupted. I get some errors about voice memos when I view the log. Any idea on that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    What does Missing Sync provide that I'm missing, that I don't get when using iSync?
    Folder syncing: select desktop folders and all files and subfolders are sync'd by Missing Sync between your desktop and specified directory on the handheld and kept in sync to your specifications.

Card Backup: a new option within the Missing Sync backup conduit allows you to have all files on your card backed up during hotsync and any additions backed up on subsequent sync. Very useful if a card ever becomes corrupt, you want to do a custom restore of card data, or your handheld and card are lost.

This along with iTunes playlist sync and iPhoto album syncing built in are worth the cost of the software. Add easy conduit management, custom conduit sync lists, addition of AvantGo syncing and I have experienced this software as very worthwhile on my Treo. It was an evolving product in previous versions, but the current v5 (now at 5.1) is rock solid on my iMac Intel with Treo 700p.
    With the Palm software you use iSync to add the iSync conduit, then you adjust things in Hotsync, you don't touch iSync again (unlike with a regular phone).

I am using Missing Sync also. The other goodies are there but I think there are big advantages even with contacts and calendars:

1.) Missing sync will sync both home and work addresses to the 700p. The iSync conduit only syncs the home address. If you only have work address defined in AddressBook, it won't sync with the iSync conduit. Period.
    2.) Missing sync transfers all my cute AddressBook contact images.
    3.) Missing sync transfers all the contacts into the right categories on the Treo. The iSync conduit dumps everything into unfiled.
    4.) Missing sync transfers all appointments into the categories on the Treo.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    So I got it to sync via the iSync program. It looks like everything got transfered over, the only issue is that the HotSync gives me an error that the process was interrupted. I get some errors about voice memos when I view the log. Any idea on that one?
    I got that too until I deleted the Voice Memo file in my Palm folder; since I hadn't used voice memo yet except to test it, it didn't matter. I'm curious to see how it does once I create some memos later on though...
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    With the Palm software you use iSync to add the iSync conduit, then you adjust things in Hotsync, you don't touch iSync again (unlike with a regular phone).

I am using Missing Sync also. The other goodies are there but I think there are big advantages even with contacts and calendars:

1.) Missing sync will sync both home and work addresses to the 700p. The iSync conduit only syncs the home address. If you only have work address defined in AddressBook, it won't sync with the iSync conduit. Period.
    2.) Missing sync transfers all my cute AddressBook contact images.
    3.) Missing sync transfers all the contacts into the right categories on the Treo. The iSync conduit dumps everything into unfiled.
    OK, I'm sold! I guess I'll download it and give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    This is probably the most useful feature of the missing sync. It was so frustrating to have multiple calendars in iCal to only show up in a single category on the Palm. No longer and now actually useful!
    I asked this in another thread .... no response, I'll try here.

Will Missing Sync allow me on my initial Sync to pick and choose? In other words, I have 6 different Address Book groups. Can I Sync just 2 of them?

I have maybe a few hundred songs in iTunes. Can I pick and choose say 100 songs to Sync to my SD card?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by zyprexa
    This is probably the most useful feature of the missing sync. It was so frustrating to have multiple calendars in iCal to only show up in a single category on the Palm. No longer and now actually useful!
    I agree. The lack of category sync has kept me (reluntantly) using Palm Desktop. When I finally upgrade to Tiger (hopefully next month), I will purchase MissingSync and not even install Palm Deskktop.
    Yes, select the contacts conduit in the missing sync window and click on settings. You can choose all or any individual combinations of your groups. To be fair, you can also do this in the iSync conduit if you don't use missing sync.

For the iSync conduit, you would make a playlist in iTunes, then select that playlist in the iTunes conduit in missing sync.

Quote Originally Posted by gijohn
    I asked this in another thread .... no response, I'll try here.

Will Missing Sync allow me on my initial Sync to pick and choose? In other words, I have 6 different Address Book groups. Can I Sync just 2 of them?

I have maybe a few hundred songs in iTunes. Can I pick and choose say 100 songs to Sync to my SD card?

Thanks!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast