Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1.    #1  
    I just called to cancel the Vision since I have the free trail. Love the speed, but I just don't use it enough to pay $15. I only use it for weather, some email checking, test out the SprintTV (steaming?) it's fun but... I have internet in the office, at home... I think I do without internet while driving!?

    so for limited people who use treo in a "offline mode" how do you get by without the internet togo?

    Don't get me wrong, I will miss the On Demond and Kmap was nice too but $15!!! I think they charge $0.02 per byte if I am ever in need of weather forcast I still have the option.

    yep I am cheap!
  2. #2  
    Seems to me there's not much point in owning a Treo then? Most of use it for email as well. Why not just get a cheaper smartphone, or just a cell phone in general. $15 a month really isn't that bad. But i guess we all have our needs and opinions.
  3. #3  
    I just don't get why you would want a Treo 700 with no internet access. No mail, no web, no directory assistant -- what's the point?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    Seems to me there's not much point in owning a Treo then? Most of use it for email as well. Why not just get a cheaper smartphone, or just a cell phone in general. $15 a month really isn't that bad. But i guess we all have our needs and opinions.
    Ditto....

    ...heh...I have an old plan though, unlimited data and sms for free
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    Seems to me there's not much point in owning a Treo then?
    Those are my sentiments exactly. $15 for internet access isn't very much at all, considering I spend $44/mo with Verizon. If I didn't need email and messaging features I would certainly be toting a Razor (and wishing I had a full keyboard) with a separate PDA, circa 2001.

    My bigger concern/observation with regard to this comment is that once you have dropped your internet service PLAN, you will PROBABLY still have access but pay a small fortune should you feel compelled to check email or the weather, or movie times even ONCE. Its just not fiscally SAFE to have a Treo without a dataplan.
  6. #6  
    I have to honestly ask, why did you buy a Treo in the first place? For one, I know Treo's aren't cheap, so if you have the dough to buy a Treo, why not go for unlimited internet? If you think $15 is too much for internet access, try going to Cingular and pay $40+ for it. I have Sprint Treo 650 and think $15 is a bargain. I find that I use the internet services all the time looking up information, etc. If you don't make much money I guess I can understand not keeping the Power Vision service, but again, how could you bring yourself to spend $300+ on a mobile phone?
  7. #7  
    Wow your the only guy that owns a $650 palm pilot ouch, whats the point of Buying it like everyone says, might as well cancel the phone service too. It's like going to a Mercedes Benz dealer and saying you want the S500 without the leather seats.
  8. swagner's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #8  
    Ease up here! There are a HUGE number of reasons to have a treo besides just email and Internet. Many palm users use their device to review presentations (powerpoint) on the road, tweak word documents, view spreadsheets, keep track of sales calles, read offline news and ebooks, play games, listen to music, watch movies, even gps and mapping. Not one of these require mobile Internet access.

    I use VERY little data but still find the Treo invaluable as I got tired of carrying my cell and my palm everywhere. Convergence is still a huge factor, regardless of EVDO nad Internet. Don't get me wrong, I agree $15 is pretty reasonable for mobile email and internet. $44 is not. (Unfortunaltely I have Verizon).
  9. #9  
    Don't tell sprint this, but I would rather have my mobile internet ($15) than my internet at home ($40+). I guess it's a matter of where you spend your time. I'm rarely home and the majority of the time I'm at work where I cannot access my personal email, so the treo comes in handy.
  10. #10  
    If you search diligently, you can still find some free dial-up ISPs. They are usually local/regional nodes, but with free long distance built-in to cell usage these days, you can access at just the cost of the minutes usage.
  11.    #11  
    thanks for the reply everyone! I used to travel for work but now a day I am either home or at the office... both have internet. back in the days I had to carry Palm + Phone.

    Now w/ Treo 700P when people ask what is that thing I say it's a phone + PIM + mp3 player + movie player + camera + ebook + gamer ...and more... As Swagner mention you can even use it as GPS. With internet Treo is a super device! But I don't think I can use $15...vs $0.02 per byte sprint will charge. Beside, if I can live without real time weather I can always sync at night and use 4cast or other offline software to accomplish the same thing, which will cost less than $15 per month. 15 X 12 = $180 per year I can use it to buy some songs off iTunes and upgrade a few software for my palm

    I think it's great to have a device that give you choice kinda like the idea of Visor (handspring). for the price tage I think it's still "okay". just friendly conversation please don't

    peace
  12. #12  
    you probably want to check out the posts on sero. for 30 a month you can get unlimited vision included w 500 min... data makes the treo great and power vision makes it even better/faster...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    If you search diligently, you can still find some free dial-up ISPs. They are usually local/regional nodes, but with free long distance built-in to cell usage these days, you can access at just the cost of the minutes usage.
    the funny thing is I had done this before in Visor (POS 3). I'll diligently search google and here to see if I can get this to work. thx!
  14. #14  
    I know it's hard for most of us to comprehend where he's coming from, but I suspect that there are a lot more people out there like him than you think. And if the Treos were priced cheaper (and the 650 *is* priced pretty cheap these days), I think we'd see more and more of them.

    My sister recently told me that she was looking to upgrade her phone (on Cingular). She owns a Palm Tungsten T3 which she syncs at work to her Outlook calendar. I told her that she should think about getting a Treo so that she could just have one device (and even do MP3 if she wanted to dump her iPod, too). But then when I told her that she'd need to pay another $20-40 (I forget what Cingular charges) for data to be able to make use of getting her personal email, surfing the web, etc., she lost interest. I told her that she could opt to not get the data plan and she'd still at least be able to converge her Palm/phone that way.

    For a lot of people, paying an extra $20-40/month "just" for data is a lot.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  15. swagner's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I know it's hard for most of us to comprehend where he's coming from, but I suspect that there are a lot more people out there like him than you think. And if the Treos were priced cheaper (and the 650 *is* priced pretty cheap these days), I think we'd see more and more of them.

    My sister recently told me that she was looking to upgrade her phone (on Cingular). She owns a Palm Tungsten T3 which she syncs at work to her Outlook calendar. I told her that she should think about getting a Treo so that she could just have one device (and even do MP3 if she wanted to dump her iPod, too). But then when I told her that she'd need to pay another $20-40 (I forget what Cingular charges) for data to be able to make use of getting her personal email, surfing the web, etc., she lost interest. I told her that she could opt to not get the data plan and she'd still at least be able to converge her Palm/phone that way.

    For a lot of people, paying an extra $20-40/month "just" for data is a lot.

    This is exactly how I made the transition to a treo. I was using a Sony Clie for my schedule which is very complex and must be with me all the time. Syncing it to outlook was great. But carrying that and my cell phone was a pain. I went to a Kyocera 7135 which only used minutes for data. When it died I had to go to a treo, but was not ready to spend an extra $40 a month. I know this seems strange for some of you, but data is not the only big advantage of a treo. The Treo is a phenomenal ceonverged device that gives you a phone, mp3 player, PIM, video player, etc. all in one. All of this is without data. If my treo could not go online, I would still have it.

    For very occasional use you can still find some dial up isp's that will work. They are slow and not extrememly reliable. I use my Road-runner dial up when I cannot get to a computer for my email or emergency net access (directions, etc). Slow, but not $44 per month and it serves my needs.
  16. #16  
    I'm paying $10/mo for unlimited data ($20 - $10 off). You just need to talk to retentions. If you're not sharing your plan, then SERO is definitely a winner. But it takes persistence or luck (or some of both) to get there.

    You joke about using the internet while driving. I've seen too many people reading papers and talking on their cell phone while "driving" a car. It's scary. Now you can add browsing to the list? Yikes! But wait...

    I've discovered the fun of streaming music or radio and using orb. Now I can listen to my favorite radio station anywhere in the country as I drive. Or stream music into my car stereo from my computer at home.

    Don't want to use data? Fine. More bandwidth for me & my 700p.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    Ease up here! There are a HUGE number of reasons to have a treo besides just email and Internet. Many palm users use their device to review presentations (powerpoint) on the road, tweak word documents, view spreadsheets, keep track of sales calles, read offline news and ebooks, play games, listen to music, watch movies, even gps and mapping. Not one of these require mobile Internet access.

    I use VERY little data but still find the Treo invaluable as I got tired of carrying my cell and my palm everywhere. Convergence is still a huge factor, regardless of EVDO nad Internet. Don't get me wrong, I agree $15 is pretty reasonable for mobile email and internet. $44 is not. (Unfortunaltely I have Verizon).
    I use the data services so people can send me all the stuff you look at , power points, e books, spreadsheets. $15 is no price to pay to have the world at your finger tips.
  18. swagner's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #18  
    Hey .. don't get me wrong here. Data is wonderful and a huge advantage. But it is not the only advantage of a converged device. By not using data you are definately restricting some great features of a converged device. However we do not all need exactly the same features. If we all had the same needs there would be no 3rd party apps and everything would be built in.

    I hope we are mature enough to realize that we each use our Treo's in unique ways. Some of us must balance the cost with the benefit of mobile data. I personally work in an environment where there are computers everywhere, so full time mobile data is not a necessity. However there are still big plusses to the Treo for me. All I am saying is that we do not need to jump all over someone just because they do not use every feature of their Treo to the absolute extreme. We each use what works for us. It is this versatility that makes the Treo such a great device.
  19. F1Turbo's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    #19  
    A word of caution on SERO plan. I ordered a phone for my daughter and returned it due to two plan details I didn't see initially. Plan doesn't cover calls you make out of state, and roaming will cost you either 59 or 69 cents per minute (can't remenber which, and I still don't see it on the SERO page).
  20. #20  
    It's only $15 for evdo on Sprint, I mean people on cingular and verizon are paying close to $40 , i think $15 is nothing specially if you own a Treo, i think not having Data cuts the Treo Features and usage by half or even more. if you want phone and pim i think there are way cheaper routes than the treo, hell even the Moto Q, i been a treo owner since the 300, i wouldnt trade this for anything out there, no matter how many bugs, eventually they get fixed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions