Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    If you search diligently, you can still find some free dial-up ISPs. They are usually local/regional nodes, but with free long distance built-in to cell usage these days, you can access at just the cost of the minutes usage.
    Sprint will charge you 40 cents a minute for any data usage - even if you dial into an ISP with the Treo. They know the difference between dialing a voice call and making a data call.
  2.    #22  
    Greeting friends,

    didn't realize this topic is still on the first page. I was able to found a few link in TC point to how to use dial-up http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?p=1032578 it's by using the Virtual Modem, I wasn't able to get netzero to work but the example given in the above link works. HTH. I'll also check my bill to see if I get charge 40 cents a mintues for data usage, thank you albertb for the heads up.

    Well, I guess I'll come back to this topic when my bill shows up.
  3. #23  
    I want to reiterate the risk of having a Treo without a dataplan - On my Verizon Treo 650 I originally went with a $22/mo limited data plan, I think it was 25MB. I checked my email once a day and rarely did anything on the web. When my first bill came in I had gone WAY over my MB limit, to the tune of $300+ dollars, due in no small part to VersaMail "loosing" my accumulation of downloaded emails and then re-downloading them AGAIN despite using settings to only download mail for the past two days. When I complained to Verizon about it being a Palm program that was the major cause of my overage they told me that it was NOT THEIR ISSUE.

    But I digress. There is great financial risk in owning a Treo without a decent data plan - risk that far exceeds $15/mo.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by F1Turbo
    A word of caution on SERO plan. I ordered a phone for my daughter and returned it due to two plan details I didn't see initially. Plan doesn't cover calls you make out of state, and roaming will cost you either 59 or 69 cents per minute (can't remenber which, and I still don't see it on the SERO page).
    Where does it say that out of state calls are not included? I've searched all over the SERO site and I haven't found that - if it does, I definitely want to know about it, since ALL of my family lives out of state!

    I found this on the SERO site:

    Long distance calls made on the Sprint Nationwide PCS Network are included in your minutes for no additional charge. International calling is not included.

    Perhaps you mean roaming? Let us know!

    Javier
    Last edited by javylsu; 06/27/2006 at 01:29 PM.
  5.    #25  
    I am so happy that TC member try to tell about the deals, but if I need the data plan I would get it. $15 or $40 doesn't matter. But I just not using enough to paid that amount. I know for sure I will miss the internet connection on palm of my hand - feels powerful - but don't really need it at this time.
    cheers
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    Sprint will charge you 40 cents a minute for any data usage - even if you dial into an ISP with the Treo. They know the difference between dialing a voice call and making a data call.
    Wow.

    Does a call to an ISP put more demand on their network?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Wow.

    Does a call to an ISP put more demand on their network?
    I'd say it does (inability to use voice compression algorithms) but the real reason is to get you to pony up for data service, methinks.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I'd say it does (inability to use voice compression algorithms) but the real reason is to get you to pony up for data service, methinks.
    You're probably right.

    So far, T-Mobile has not done such. Dial-up can be useful when you don't have unlimited data and need to take quick online actions (e.g. ftp changes to a website).
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    You're probably right.

    So far, T-Mobile has not done such. Dial-up can be useful when you don't have unlimited data and need to take quick online actions (e.g. ftp changes to a website).
    My first Treo used dialup before palm released the GPRS update for the 180 on TMO. :-)
  10. crownzeal's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by javylsu
    Perhaps you mean roaming?
    Roaming is free on SERO and long distance calling is not an additional charge. It just counts toward your minutes.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit2

    Well, I guess I'll come back to this topic when my bill shows up.
    You don't have to wait for your bill to show up. Usually after you use data minutes, it will show up on your website current usage pretty quickly as something like additional data minutes.
  12.    #32  
    thank you Albertb, you are correct. I can just log into sprint.com and found out. Yes Sprint do keep track of your dial-up time. It's label as "CASUAL USE PCS WIRELESS WEB MINUTES". I guess I'll just use their network instead of my dial-up. Most of my palm useage doesn't require an online access any how.
  13. #33  
    Do they still charge you the 40 cents a minute if you are roaming? If they do, that doesn't seem fair because you can't get vision access while roaming. Is there any other way to get a data connection while roaming, so that I can check email?
  14. #34  
    This thread got my thinking... Might there be a market for a really cheap Treo that has the data capabilities of the Treo 600?

    Basically a 650 with 64 megs of flash and a really slow data plan...

    Sell it as cheap as possible, go for $0-50 price point with 2 year plan activation.

    I think you'd have a winner on your hands...
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by F1Turbo
    A word of caution on SERO plan. I ordered a phone for my daughter and returned it due to two plan details I didn't see initially. Plan doesn't cover calls you make out of state, and roaming will cost you either 59 or 69 cents per minute (can't remenber which, and I still don't see it on the SERO page).
    I don't know about your SERO plan... but the one I got makes it fairly clear that it is supposed to be the equivalent of a standard Sprint plan when it comes to roaming.

    Sprint Fair & Flexible Plan

    Adjustable Anytime Minutes
    $30.00 Minimum Monthly Charge
    AMERICA - ROAMING Included
    Nationwide Long Distance Included
    Unlimited Night & Weekend Mins. Included
    Nights: M-Th 9PM-7AM Wknd: F 9PM-M 7AM
    Unlimited Vision Access
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
    Caller ID, Call Waiting
    Three-way Calling
    Voicemail


    Again... unless there is some major fine print that we all missed it sounds like there was something wierd going on with your SERO plan.
  16. #36  
    I think this is a waste of thread space...
    $15 dallars is the bomb in comparison to other carriers and this is a known given on this forum.
    at&t iPhone3G
  17.    #37  
    I think the topic has gone off different direction... oh well. But I do like Brandorr's idea of "cheaper" treo. wish one day Treo can be customeriz, similar to Dell's desktop/laptop. pick what you want and they charge you for it! nice thing about this $15 option... I can take it off or add if I need it.

    have a nice 4th july.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit2
    I think the topic has gone off different direction... oh well. But I do like Brandorr's idea of "cheaper" treo. wish one day Treo can be customeriz, similar to Dell's desktop/laptop. pick what you want and they charge you for it! nice thing about this $15 option... I can take it off or add if I need it.

    have a nice 4th july.
    I will...I have dinamite.
    at&t iPhone3G
  19.    #39  
    Greeting it's been 1 month since I am "offline" and yes I do miss my power vision but now I have the extra $15 (+ tax) for some nice software!

    to help a small number of user who does use decide to go offline mode here are some useful tools.

    Weather/News: AvantGo (I have use this since Visor if you are in the office and sync often your accWeather.com channel should be very current).
    Podcast download is helpful for news talk.

    Map/locate ATM/Park/Cafe/ gas station: Earthcomber

    as albertb mention before, sprint does charge you even if you dial-up to your own ISP. They know no big deal!

    --ADD: If you log into Sprint.com under your bill's Additonal Usage it'll say Wireless web anytime mintues -$0.39/min if you use more than 40 min per month you may want to just pay the $15
    Last edited by justdoit2; 07/27/2006 at 01:26 PM.
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions