Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    BEIKS has developed a spell checker for GoodLink for Palm and we're now launching a pre-release beta ring.

If interested please join the Yahoo group "BDicty" at
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bdicty/

I must apologizse in advance for requesting you to join a group, but we have found this to be the most efficient way of running betas in general.

I will be more than happy to answer questions here.
    Bobby Kolev
    BEIKS LLC
    www.beiks.com
    mobile.beiks.com
    "A Pocket Full Of Knowledge"
    Bobby..

I joined, but the file is not uploaded. Do you have a time frame for release of the Beta?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Later today or tomorrow.

It's really ready for an early beta - quite stable, but working under certain conditions, e.g. only in GoodLink, which needs to be addressed, and with some [we think] acceptable quirks.

I will, in fact, drop an email to a few people at Good later today or tomorrow about it...we have an open communication initiated by you a while ago and still going on...
    Last edited by kolev; 06/26/2006 at 01:01 PM.
    Bobby Kolev
    BEIKS LLC
    www.beiks.com
    mobile.beiks.com
    Looking forward to giving it a shot. Is it OS dependent or will it work on POS and WM?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Strictly Palm OS for now.
    Bobby Kolev
    BEIKS LLC
    www.beiks.com
    mobile.beiks.com
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Good needs to stop crashing POS (well, 700p) devices before I'd consider tacking on another app...
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Two things that may help you in your fight with GoodLink:

1) Intall the latest firmware from your carrier; I did that literally a few days ago (I am not using GoodLink myself, I needed to test our spelling checker on it) and that latest update did miracles for me and a few other poor souls trying to get me set up and running with GL

2) Consider UDMH:
    http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....showpage&pid=2

Now, this second one is a little risky, but again does miracles for GL users.

- bobby
    Bobby Kolev
    BEIKS LLC
    www.beiks.com
    mobile.beiks.com
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    My 650 on Cingular was fine... it's just this damned 700p that's giving me issues. A coworker with a 700p isn't having any though... I just hard-reset and reinstalled GoodLink, so I'm going to give it a few days to see if this fixes things.
    WOW! Bobby, this is an awesome application. I showed it to several people here and jaws dropped. Well done!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    LexSpell spell checker with GoodLink interoperability now publicly available:

http://www.beiks.com/lexspell
    Bobby Kolev
    BEIKS LLC
    www.beiks.com
    mobile.beiks.com
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Wow... I don't know how I missed this earlier. I've been dying for this. I'll try it out this weekend.

My initial concern: What are the memory requirements for this. Cache and memory are an issue using Good. How much memory/cache does LexSpell use?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I can say that it has taken very little space and is an amazing, much needed application. I showed to several higher ups today and they were awed as well.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    First and foremost, this thread should be closed. I don't know whether and how I can do that, but since LexSpell with support for GoodLink has already been made public (http://www.beiks.com/lexspell) then there's no use of this thread any more.

That said, it is true that LexSpell does require some extra memory...there's no way it wouldn't, it's a resident application after all, and one dealing with random access in a large amount of data...memory and speed are tightly tied here

To start with, all files must be installed in RAM; this can be considered bad, but the truth is it pays back in two important ways: it requires less system memory to operate and/or it is faster; on top of that it is slightly more reliable under low memory conditions, because it doesn't need to move the words database (or its index) on the fly to RAM in order to perform faster indexing.

And the words database is darn well compressed as well; I was looking at another spell checker the other day and it was just using a plain text database...so they had like 200,000 words in 2 MB whereas LexSpell has 100,000 in 300 kB.

While on the subject of word counts, by the way, I want to make a note that a quality speling checker is not the one that includes most words, but the one that includes the right words; make your own call, of course, but I'd stick to less, but quality proofed words (i.e. against Webster or Oxford).

Back to memory requirements, I can't really tell how much LexSpell requires, but as I said it certainly does require some extra heap as well as stack.
    There surely can be a situation - especially with other resident or background applications - where a low memory condition may cause troubles.

On the bright side, there wasn't a single problem report in this department during beta testing.
    Bobby Kolev
    BEIKS LLC
    www.beiks.com
    mobile.beiks.com
    Thread closed