Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Sorry for the repeat post if so, but can someone summarize what the stance is on the following:

Does the 700p work on EVDO if you are able to register phone on older Vision plan? I have a family share (making sero plan not an option) with unlimited text msg and data for $15/month. On my 650, I can tether for PAM to my laptop.

So, can you tether this (with hack or PDANet) without paying $25 for PAM?

Can you access EVDO network without Power Vision plan?
    I won't have a 700p for another week or so, but I've been tracking this issue on TC threads for a couple of weeks.

The consensus seems to be that there's no technical problem with doing a straight ESN swap as long as the rep you're on the line with is willing to do it. For a week or two, people were claiming that they were able to use their regular Vision plan while getting EVDO speeds with impunity. Then the bills came. Generally, people without Power Vision were getting billed $.02 per minute for their EVDO connections. One poster reported $150 charge over and above his normal monthly bill.

I don't remember anyone talking about using PAM on a regular Vision plan, but at $.02/min. for EVDO, I'd be willing to be it's something to avoid. On the other hand, no one using PDANet for the 700p has claimed they've been hit with PAM charges.

I'm going to switch over to Power Vision: the basic plan with unlimited internet, 100 text messages, with nights and weekends starting at 7:00pm. This will cost me $5 more than what I pay now, and I will lose my unlimited text messages, but since my the evenings on my current plan start at 9:00pm, and since, after reviewing my bills, I send less than 20 text messages a month, 100 messages is essentially "unlimited" for me; so overall I'll come out ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindycu
    Sorry for the repeat post if so, but can someone summarize what the stance is on the following:

Does the 700p work on EVDO if you are able to register phone on older Vision plan? I have a family share (making sero plan not an option) with unlimited text msg and data for $15/month. On my 650, I can tether for PAM to my laptop.

So, can you tether this (with hack or PDANet) without paying $25 for PAM?

Can you access EVDO network without Power Vision plan?
    Can you access EVDO network without Power Vision plan? Yes. But you will be charged extra for it -- i.e., per KB.

I went through this same thing with my SonyEricsson T608 when Vision came out. You can get away with it (or think you're getting away with it), but they'll get you on your next bill. With the T608, my next months' bill was over $400. I played dumb and got the charges credited back to my account, but I had to switch to Vision.

My wife and I have been sharing 2000 minutes; me with unlimited data and SMS for the past few years.

I got my 700p a couple days after Memorial Day. I tried calling a few times to see if I could get a nice retentions rep that would cut my monthly bill in half and, like you, my wife & I have phones, so SERO was not an option. After 8-10 calls with no love, I ended up just activating the phone. The guy who activated it for me said nothing about extra charges...just "nice phone!"

I thought I had gotten away with something. I used my 700p blissfully, but avoided playing with PAM and checked my online account status daily. A couple weeks went by before the first sign: SMS messages being charged as "casual something-or-other" instead of web messages...so I was paying for those. I thought, "I can live with that." I don't use SMS much. But I knew from my T608 experience, you're not out of the woods until a couple billing cycles have gone by.

Sure enough. It wasn't until a few days after my billing cycle ended that the website reflected the new charges, including about $50 of "extra use charges." Luckily, my wife just found out that she was getting a BB through work, so this was my shot for SERO. I called, complained about the extra charges and, again, played dumb. "I always could use the web before." "Whattya mean? It's part of my plan." Then I started to say I was frustrated and considering Verizon and they switched me to a retentions agent. I asked if she knew anything about the SERO plan; she didn't. Bummer. But she did credit my account for the extra charges + a little more for my troubles. She gave me a number to call for SERO which got me nowhere...just led me back to the standard queue.

I called back a couple days later, told them that I had spoken with retentions earlier and they suggested that the SERO plan was my best bet. Again, I was switched to retentions; this time it was Larry in New Mexico -- nice guy. I told Larry that the previous lady suggested SERO as an option. He said "they shouldn't be saying that"...and my heart sank. But then came the magic words: "let me see what I can do for you." He worked out a deal for me with 1000 min/mo, 7p-7p nights/weekends, free roaming, unlimited SMS, picture mail, insurance, and unlimited data. With a 20% discount and a $10/mo credit toward the $20/mo unlimited data plan, it comes to ~$55/mo. Not the cheapest plan in the world, but I'm not complaining. I've been a good Sprint citizen for years and now they've got me for at least another two years.

The good news...

While you cannot use EVDO for "free" on your existing plan...if you're a customer in good standing, you can get a good deal -- even without SERO -- if you're persistent and lucky enough to reach a talented retention agent.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    He worked out a deal for me with 1000 min/mo, 7p-7p nights/weekends, free roaming, unlimited SMS, picture mail, insurance, and unlimited data. With a 20% discount and a $10/mo credit toward the $20/mo unlimited data plan, it comes to ~$55/mo. Not the cheapest plan in the world, but I'm not complaining. I've been a good Sprint citizen for years and now they've got me for at least another two years.
    See, this is a perfect example of Sprint actually working with people. Retentions gave me a great deal on the phone, but I didn't find out about SERO until later. Now, I also, have to play dumb and find someone that can really nail a plan out for me. The sticking point is SMS and this month alone I have WAY over my 500 free they gave me (OMG!) and I'm a bit freaked.

I guess with Sprint you just need to keep calling over and over again for someone that knows what they're doing AND has a little compassion.
    Quote Originally Posted by crownzeal
    I guess with Sprint you just need to keep calling over and over again for someone that knows what they're doing AND has a little compassion.
    True. I read that sentiment several threads on both TC and SprintUsers..."keep trying"..."don't give up"

My buddy (a fellow Sprint user) who has better luck in life was able to get SERO on his first try just by asking "do you know anything about this employee referral plan?" I had called eight times without a hint of love. At one point, I was calling retentions directly and hanging up if a female answered (really sad, I know...but I was desperate). It was only through my buddy's encouragement that I had the strength to keep at it. And once I was getting charged extra for data, there was no choice.

But if you're a long time customer, don't settle for less. If you're not happy with the deal, let them know. Be pleasant, but firm. And, above all, be persistent. These tips are all over these forums...nothin' new here...but I can appreciate them now having made it through to the other side.

You'll know within the first few minutes if you've reached a "good" agent or not. If you're not getting any love, then just politely say that you think you need more time to think about your options, thank them for their time, and hang up. If you're up for it, get right back in there. If not, take a breather, and come back when you're fresh. But keep trying!!!

p.s.

Sales are only a springboard to retentions. You will not get the good deals from a sales agent unless you are extremely lucky. Sales folk don't have access to the good stuff like retentions do.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p