Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As far as the rate of sale, and my hugely scientific guessing, I'd say it's a tie. The W is cheaper while the P is better and available through more channels.
    The w accounted for 20% of sales before the 700p was available. I think it would be extremely hard to argue that people are buying the w in greater numbers since the p came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    The w accounted for 20% of sales before the 700p was available. I think it would be extremely hard to argue that people are buying the w in greater numbers since the p came out.
    But that's not the question. You are comparing the W to all sales while the question is the w to the p.
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    Does anyone know what model is selling better the p or the w ?
    now I know sprint does not have the w yet but I keep hearing things
    like the Moto Q has sold more than the treo w all ready ?? and the 700p
    is not selling at all.
    I just would like some hard facts on whats selling and what not ...
    The W will outsell the Q and the P.

There arent many reasons to upgrade from the 650 to the 700p, so many won't. Lots of people looking to get a treo will probably opt to get a 650 for dirt cheap. The W has been on the market for what seems like ages now as has a leg up and Microsoft's marketing and power behind it. Whens the last time you saw a Palm OS commercial?

While the 700w is complete unique probably dominates the windows mobile os 5 market (I had the 6700 and was not impressed).
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    But that's not the question. You are comparing the W to all sales while the question is the w to the p.
    hwere's my math....if the 700w accounted for 20% of Treo sales last quarter, then the old 650p accounted for 80% of sales since any 600 sales at this point must be miniscule. So that means it was 4:1 (80/20) before the 700p was released. So simply put, did the 700p being available amke the number of p users change ?

In the CDMA arena, there's the 650(p) and the 700p and the 700w. So, ith a new boy on the block, sales of p's (650 & 700) must be well over the 4:1 .. .. ....Sprint has no 700w and ya gotta figure sales have tapered on verizons since the exclusivity period ended. I wouldn't be surprised to see that the w's dropped by half with Verizon pushing the Q so hard.....so for arguments sake let's say 9:1 (650/700ps to 700w's)

Now Spint will no longer sell the 650p and the only way to get one is leftovers in the channel. I think it's therefore safe to say that new 650 CDMA sales are small in comparison to 700s. How many 700p owners did not buy directly from Sprint ...almost every post here I have seen is indicated such and the GSM 650 is 17 months old leaving most potential purchasers on hold, so I gotta say new Treo sales these days are 90% or more in the 700 vein.

90% of 90% is 80% 700p's
    leaving 10% 700w's
    and 10% 650's

Sounds like we need a "what have you purchased and not sent back after trial was over since April 1st " poll
    I think the 700p will easily outsell the 700w. The Q will probably outsell both the 700w and the 700p combined by a large amount. Motorola is banking on millions of the Q selling within a year. There is no way on earth the 700w will approach a fraction of that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdelt151
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  7.    #27  
    these are all good answers but I do think that Sprint owns the market on the treo's
    I think that sprint has sold more treos than any other carrier. So with that said when the 700w gets released on the Sprint network I think then we will see a big jump in sales of the treo 700w, I also think that if the 700p would licence direct push by microsoft than I think the p would out setll the w and I also jumped on the band waggon and purchased the p and gave my 650 to my wife and what a sucker I was
    the only good advantage I got was the newer ver of bluetooth I find it connecting to my hands free kit better and its much more stable in that fact but I do beleave that its not any faster than my 650 ...
    Its hard to sell W to anyone these days but I'm sure I can sell P
    The P has undoubtedly moved more units since I have seen dozens of posts here where people bought a unit and had to exchange it for 2-3 others before finding one that worked...
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdelt151

There arent many reasons to upgrade from the 650 to the 700p, so many won't.
    On the contrary: there are many people (myself included) who gave up on the Treo 650 because it was too unstable and while a singificant leap from the 600, just wasn't quite what we were looking for. The lack of EVDO was a huge negative me and I know quite a few other people.

Some of those people who wrote off Palm since the 650 are starting to look again at the 700p. No doubt the 700p isn't a rock of stability either, but my experience with it seems to indicate to me that the 700 is a little closer to "just right" than the 650, enough for me to re-evaluate my jaded view of smartphones since I gave up on them last. MAYBE some have looked at the 700w, but frankly, I wrote off the w from the get-go. I still think trying to dumb down Windows and stuff it into a PDA is the wrong approach.

The W has been on the market for what seems like ages now as has a leg up and Microsoft's marketing and power behind it. Whens the last time you saw a Palm OS commercial?
    I see them every time I walk by airport kiosks and billboards, in travel related magazines, basically every medium that specifically targets people on the go. Just because Palm isn't on TV doesn't mean it has disappeared. They've simply discovered the target audience and directly channeled marketing to reach those people most likely to pick one up.

On the other hand, I've NEVER seen a Research In motion ad, on TV or otherwise. Yet RIM made a killing up until the bitter end of that patent dispute. So marketing is not an accurate indicator.

While the 700w is complete unique probably dominates the windows mobile os 5 market (I had the 6700 and was not impressed).
    No offense, but your views seem to be contrary to everyone else I know who is wedded to the Windows Mobile platform. if they had to choose between the 700w and PPC6700, the favor tends to be to the 6700 from what I've seen. Maybe WM users like bloat; I'm just not sure. But the 6700 just seems to be a more appriopriate form factor than the shoe-horn job Palm appears to have given to WM to fit in the 700w.
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    Check out this link,
    it looks like the Q is getting a high returns
    and if you look the fourms for the 700p always has more users logged on, now I don't know if its because the p is new or are there more p users ?
    thats the question

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/m...f_returns.html
    Well from this it sounds like the Q turned out to be a little too light on the PDA side and too heavy on the phone side for more people than Motorola was hoping. Also I think that one of the biggest problems is that many would casually call both the Q and the Treo "smartphones." However, due to the large differences between the two, calling them the same thing is really borderline false advertising. In a way the Q is sort of like a Porsche with a Camry engine while the Treo is like a BMW or a Benz. In the showroom the Q LOOKS like it would be "faster and better", but is a bit lacking under the hood (in this case general functionality) to back that up.

To those who would argue that corporate sales alone would drive the 700w's sales beyond general sales of the 700p, I find this very difficult to believe. I think that after the Ps release the Ws sales in the consumer realm probably dropped to a very small percentage of overall Treo sales. Given that the corporate world is still heavily invested in Blackberry's, I don't think that the W would be able to sell well enough on it's own retain the crown.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12