1.    #1  
    I must be missing a setting some where or possibly this is a bug with Chatter 2.0.1rc15. When ever I sync to Gmail using Chatter I receive not just emails stored in my inbox but also email copied to the "Sent" folder. Is there anyway to just receive new (haven't read yet) email that is stored in the inbox? If not then I'd be happy to just receive what's listed in my Gmail account "inbox" and not what's backed up to other folders such as "Sent" and "Draft", at least not unless I request it.

Also is there a way for Chatter to send a sms message over the carrier radio transmission and not use the browser to sync with Gmail? This way email would be pushed to the Treo also via sms instead of being required to check randomly if there is an internet connection available. Since I have unlimited sms received with 2500 North America outbound sms on Rogers network this would be a lower cost solution than using the browser which incures higher charges due to using data.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 06/25/2006 at 10:46 PM.
    DK: are you syncing via POP or Imap through a forwarded address?

Gmail acts wierd with its sent messages and those can come through if you use the web version and send a message to someone.

You can set up chatter to sync via sms, but you need to forward gmail to an imap email (like Fastmail) to use it (I think).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    DK: are you syncing via POP or Imap through a forwarded address?

Gmail acts wierd with its sent messages and those can come through if you use the web version and send a message to someone.
    Syncing Chatter with Gmail using POP as it currently doesn't use IMAP. As for the issue of receiving all mail listed not only in the Gmail inbox but also every email copied to the sent folder I haven't found a solution...yet There doesn't appear to be a setting to turn off copying email sent to the "sent" folder. This is unlike Hotmail where there is an option to turn off making a backup of sent email. I've forwarded a request to the Gmail team via their support forum http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    You can set up chatter to sync via sms, but you need to forward gmail to an imap email (like Fastmail) to use it (I think).
    I really would prefer to limit the amount of applications needed for a Treo. I'm still trying to get used to having to purchase so many applications just to have normal functional tools found preinstalled with other smartphones.

I noticed under Chatter's "Delivery Preferences" there's the options "QSync ever.....mins" and "SMS" with a check box option for both. Reading the info on these two features is a little vague. Is this just for a sms alert notifying the Treo user that there is email ready for download but still requires accessing the internet browser to view online email?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Hey Knight,

Check out this thread about using Fastmail with Chatter. It may be easier than you think...

Regards,
    Keith
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Can Gmail be setup to use SMS so that the Chatter Feature can be used? What POP3 actually sends SMS when new email arrive?
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    I had a similar problem using Versamail, as well as Mozilla Thunderbird when accessing Gmail over POP3. See this link: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...418&topic=1555
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Hey Knight,

Check out this thread about using Fastmail with Chatter. It may be easier than you think...

Regards,
    Keith
    I've given up on using Chatter as my email program for the Treo. This is due to several reasons. One being that there are far to many settings in the current Chatter release for non-technical persons. While I've worked in I.T. Support I found the information with the numerous settings to be information overload. Second was that I honestly felt I was mislead with what the developer claimes the product is capable of. Having it suggested I either sign up with a third party IMAP email service such as FastMail or with Chatter's optional fee based IMAP email service to resolve what they claime is a Gmail issue for push email is not something I find professional. Especially since I already paid for the full Chatter email software ($39.95 USD) and their main page claimed it offers true Push Email with "Full IMAP and POP3 server support" and "No third party intermediate server required". Anyway, my carrier Rogers Wireless working together with Visto finally provided an update to MyMail which provides better functionality than either Chatter and Versamail. The MyMail update was not only free but also offers simple user settings and actually works with Gmail such as syncing properly to delete read email. As well email attachments actually work with MyMail unlike Chatter and my roaming rate for using MyMail is cheaper than using Chatter.
    Dark_Knight - You're WAY, WAY off-base here. There is nothing whatever misleading in what I claim for Chatter. Why can't it simply be that you misunderstood, rather than you were misled? Why must you accuse people of unethical behavior without the SLIGHTEST attempt to learn the facts?

The fact is that I DO provide full IMAP and POP3 server support. And the fact is that no third party intermediate server is required. Did you somehow put these together to mean that I was claiming that POP3 mail could be pushed? (Hint: It's simply impossible. Can't be done.)

And if you thought the product wasn't right for you, or wasn't working properly, why the hell didn't you just send me some mail so we could work it out? Or ask for a refund? Or do you think it's just better to take out your frustrations in public?

Feh.

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 07/20/2006 at 01:51 AM.
    Dark knight....sign up for a FREE aim.com account. Forward all your gmail to the aim.com account. Put the IMAP settings for your aim.com account into chatter with your gmail address as the from address and use Gmail's SMTP. 3 simple steps and it doesn't cost you any more and you have true push email with your gmail, the AIM server is virtually transparent, and it works well. I've been using it for the past month with no issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    Dark knight....sign up for a FREE aim.com account. Forward all your gmail to the aim.com account. Put the IMAP settings for your aim.com account into chatter with your gmail address as the from address and use Gmail's SMTP. 3 simple steps and it doesn't cost you any more and you have true push email with your gmail, the AIM server is virtually transparent, and it works well. I've been using it for the past month with no issue.
    Same deal with me and the free fastmail.fm account.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Dark Knight,

I have to agree completely with Marc in his response.
    It was a misunderstanding: On Marc's webpage, the first feature statement is "True "push" email with compatible IMAP servers". I respectfully recommend the following:

1. Marc elaborates on that feature statement by including a footnote or otherwise that indicates the necessary requirements i.e. IDLE command etc.
    2. You seek clarification and give people an opportunity to help before attacking their character.

With repsect,
    Keith
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    I've given up on using Chatter as my email program for the Treo. This is due to several reasons. One being that there are far to many settings in the current Chatter release for non-technical persons. While I've worked in I.T. Support I found the information with the numerous settings to be information overload.
    He worked in IT support, it he thought that the numerous settings in Chatter was information overload ??

Whoa....

As an IT person, I'm sure glad that he doesn't work for me...
    What has more of a drain on your batter? IMAP (Gmail sending to AIM -IMAP) or POP3 (getting directly from GMail)? Thanks
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    What has more of a drain on your batter? IMAP (Gmail sending to AIM -IMAP) or POP3 (getting directly from GMail)? Thanks
    I encourage you to do the test on your own. As a suggestion why don't you try push (i.e. 'online') for one day and QSync (i.e. timed synchronization) for another day. Have your GMail forwarded to the AIM account for both tests. In case you're not aware of yet, IMAP accounts (such as AIM) can be QSync'd as well.

I believe the test result depends on how many emails you receive and send. If you have a lot of emails, probably a timed QSync may help as the transactions are 'bundled' in each sychronization session.

As for IMAP vs POP, there are other threads which have covered the topic already. The short version is IMAP is more bandwidth efficient for both push and pull/timed sync. So I'd suggest you to use an IMAP account (such as AIM or Fastmail) for Chatter regardless whether you choose push or QSync.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    Dark_Knight - You're WAY, WAY off-base here. There is nothing whatever misleading in what I claim for Chatter. Why can't it simply be that you misunderstood, rather than you were misled? Why must you accuse people of unethical behavior without the SLIGHTEST attempt to learn the facts?

The fact is that I DO provide full IMAP and POP3 server support. And the fact is that no third party intermediate server is required. Did you somehow put these together to mean that I was claiming that POP3 mail could be pushed? (Hint: It's simply impossible. Can't be done.)

And if you thought the product wasn't right for you, or wasn't working properly, why the hell didn't you just send me some mail so we could work it out? Or ask for a refund? Or do you think it's just better to take out your frustrations in public?

Feh.

Marc
    My post wasn't a personal attack on you but instead I was clarifying my reasons for not choosing to continue with using Chatter as my Push Email program with Gmail and other mail. Please try to not take things so personal even if you're the developer. If I had a personal issue with you I would of contacted you directly.

As for contacting you via email regarding syncing Chatter properly with Gmail I previously posted my query on the Chatter site support forum which basically felt like your response was to pass the issue on to Gmail. I also used the search engine and reviewed responses to similar posts on the forum from yourself and others who basically pass the issue on to Gmail developers or suggest using a third party email service such as FastMail or Chatter's own optional IMAP email service which is at additional cost. Anyone who has paid serious attention to FastMail support forum would realize there is a cap for usage on email for the free account and that to have access to average usage of email would require an annual fee. Anyway as for the FastMail suggestion it's apparent on FastMail forum that some users have unknowingly exceeded their usage on FastMail then had their account suspended with out warning. This is not good for those who rely on constant access to important email such as from a clients, etc.

You asked why didn't I ask for my money back and the simple reason is I didn't see a refund section on your site. Basically I suggest you use the money to further develope the product so as to provide a better email solution. As stated the settings while useful can be information overload for some users. While I understood the settings I suggest simplfying the settings with "novice user" and "advanced user" or something similar. After all setting up MyMail (Visto) was simple and took less time than compared to setting up Chatter.

As for MyMail and Push Email use with mail servers such as Gmail it works with out requiring third party intervention. I use Gmail to MyMail which pushes email to my device and allows me to delete mail on the server, not just from my Treo. It also cost me nothing as it's offered through my wireless carrier. While some may think my main attraction to MyMail was that it's free through my provider, reality is I enjoy having a simplified email program that works with little set-up required by the user.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 07/20/2006 at 06:14 PM.
    Of course it was a personal attack, and you're just piling on with additional mealy-mouthed excuses...

"...I was mislead [sic] with what the developer claimes [sic] the product is capable of...."

"... is not something I find professional..."

"... their main page claimed it..."

As to... "Basically I suggest you use the money to further develope [sic] the product so as to provide a better email solution.", my candid response would be inappropriate on this forum; suffice it to say it would contain at least one reference to procreation.

Have a nice day!

Marc
    Dark_Knight

I donít have a dog in this fight but it appears to me to be a personal attack on Marc to me.

I know a number of us using Chatter feel just the opposite about Chatter and its developer. In my humble opinion, the product works better than I could ever have expected and the support is second to none. I canít name another product where improvements are developed and released on a regular basis and for free; and, where customer/technical support is provided by the developer within 24 hours (usually a lot quicker).

I am sorry the product didnít perform as you expected. I am sure that if you had contacted Marc directly (emailing him at the Chatter site) he would have bent over backward to address your concerns.

Respectfully submitted
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    <moved>
    If you use the SMS trigger option in Chatter for Gmail, then select your emails to be forwarded to your 123-123-1234@messsaging.sprintpcs.com account under account forwarding on gmail.com, Gmail will sync over the internet when your phone receives the sms. This saved me a bunch of battery life over forwarding to an imap account and having a constant data connection.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    my candid response would be inappropriate on this forum; suffice it to say it would contain at least one reference to procreation.

Have a nice day!

Marc