Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What added value does this thing give me that I don't already get with Blazer/Opera, Directory Assistent, XWeather, g-funks TV T2Nite or HourlyXCast?

I know this version is free, but tell me why you like this or use this please. Is there something I'm missing?
    I like it because you can get all this info in one application rather than 6 or 7.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Its simple to use, works, and easy on the eyes. However, thats not enough for me to want to pay extra for OnDemand, it should be included in the price of Power Vision.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  4.    #4  
    it's not free? mine seems to work for free. i can't imagine paying for this??????
    Freee, for a month or so...
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    it's not free? mine seems to work for free. i can't imagine paying for this??????
    some are free. the rest you have to pay for.
    At first I didn't even use it at all. So many other sources of info if you've been a palm user for years. Then I read about an upgrade in this forum to fix some of the bugs. So I started using it. Actually a very nice consolidated app for news, sports, weather, maps, directions, etc. I'm not sure which modules need subscriptions but I probably won't subscribe since I can easily get the same info elsewhere for free. It is pretty convenient and seems stable on the 700P. However, it takes up a lot of space.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Bloatware for sure. Wish we could remove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    Bloatware for sure. Wish we could remove it.
    You can remove it...just delete it. Its a waste of space as far as I am concerned.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The way I understand the bundled On Demand on the 700p (it's VERY poorly explained in the 2039482039841 manuals that come out of the Sprint yellow box..) .. is that everything on "Page One" is free with a PowerVision account, and everything on the "Extras" page is extra cost, each "thing" being priced separately.

Just installing the thing out of the box eats up five meg of the 61 meg free on a virgin 700p. It has a feature to move various "channels" to a card, but when I tried that with a couple, despite [x] checking the settings box to show channels on the card, they just vanished from the "Page One" bank of buttons. I read in another thread that that happened to other people too. So I chalk that up to the thing being buggy.

Another poster is correct - there's really nothing on "Page One" that you can't get many other ways (perhaps in a plainer Jane format) for free, such as http://wap.oa.yahoo.com which is all plain text, very easy and obvious to use, and totally free.

The stuff on the "Extras" page of On Demand looks to be mostly fluff.

If this thing truly is only a one month free demo, then I guess I'll find out in a few days, since I got and activated my 700p on 1 June, 2006. But I believe all the "Page One" stuff is permanently free with an unlimited PowerVision account on Sprint. Someone correct me if they know for a fact that that's wrong. If it turns out to only be a one month demo, I'll happily delete it if it disables itself after a month's use and get five meg of Internal RAM back.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Hrlaser, thanks, but I did get a message alreadt that I need to subscribe for the 411. I had used only the money and weather buttons which I think are free still. I think there are several well written progs that give you these for a one time purchase.
    I like it since they have full screen maps and satellite images and it never seems to forget my weather or movie locations.

I think the movie listings are free for us (sprint users) when they charge others after a certain timeframe (maybe the same goes for 411 too). Then we just get the same free ones they get....

Gary
    Last edited by garylapointe; 06/26/2006 at 07:30 AM.
    What added value does this thing give me that I don't already get with Blazer/Opera, Directory Assistent, XWeather, g-funks TV T2Nite or HourlyXCast?

I know this version is free, but tell me why you like this or use this please. Is there something I'm missing?
    I looked up a movie the other day, got the showtime at a specific local theatre, and went and saw it ("An Inconvenient Truth," which is a must-see for everyone!).
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    The way I understand the bundled On Demand on the 700p (it's VERY poorly explained in the 2039482039841 manuals that come out of the Sprint yellow box..) .. is that everything on "Page One" is free with a PowerVision account, and everything on the "Extras" page is extra cost, each "thing" being priced separately.

Just installing the thing out of the box eats up five meg of the 61 meg free on a virgin 700p. It has a feature to move various "channels" to a card, but when I tried that with a couple, despite [x] checking the settings box to show channels on the card, they just vanished from the "Page One" bank of buttons. I read in another thread that that happened to other people too. So I chalk that up to the thing being buggy.

Another poster is correct - there's really nothing on "Page One" that you can't get many other ways (perhaps in a plainer Jane format) for free, such as http://wap.oa.yahoo.com which is all plain text, very easy and obvious to use, and totally free.

The stuff on the "Extras" page of On Demand looks to be mostly fluff.

If this thing truly is only a one month free demo, then I guess I'll find out in a few days, since I got and activated my 700p on 1 June, 2006. But I believe all the "Page One" stuff is permanently free with an unlimited PowerVision account on Sprint. Someone correct me if they know for a fact that that's wrong. If it turns out to only be a one month demo, I'll happily delete it if it disables itself after a month's use and get five meg of Internal RAM back.

Harv
    I've got an unlimited Sprint PowerVision account with Sprint/Ultimate and both OnDemand TV Guide and the Dictionary are not free. So far, the others on PageOne are free (but it's been less than 30 days into my new contract so who knows). All of this (and SprintTV) have been poorly marketed by Sprint.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    On th 650 it was worth it for the speed of 411 lookups and maps/direction. 411 lookup also integrated with their maps, so you don't need to move to a different page.
    With EVDO, it's not as valuable, but it still is fast, and the pages are clean and crisp.
    The news is great for locations where you can't get vision coverage.
    (Subway, airplanes, etc)
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    If I have to guess what's free and what's not, I won't use it. It's not worth the trouble. I had problems with Sprint just upgrading to the 700P. I will avoid all this gray area stuff, including Sprint TV (which I have about zero interest in anyway), to avoid the inevitable problems.
    Remember when unlimited data meant unlimited data, at least on the handset?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1Turbo
    If I have to guess what's free and what's not, I won't use it. It's not worth the trouble. I had problems with Sprint just upgrading to the 700P. I will avoid all this gray area stuff, including Sprint TV (which I have about zero interest in anyway), to avoid the inevitable problems.
    Remember when unlimited data meant unlimited data, at least on the handset?
    I've not run into anything on Express (On Demand) that I've been billed for....where I haven't approved the billing first.
    Looks like it's $4.99/month for 411 Phone Directory, Maps, TV Guide and Dictonary/Thesaurus. It's called the "Premium Bundle" (Sprint). I dunno, I think maybe $5 per month is really not be too bad given the convenience of On Demand. Can't buy much for 5 bucks these days....
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    Looks like it's $4.99/month for 411 Phone Directory, Maps, TV Guide and Dictonary/Thesaurus. It's called the "Premium Bundle" (Sprint). I dunno, I think maybe $5 per month is really not be too bad given the convenience of On Demand. Can't buy much for 5 bucks these days....
    I like On Demand, but won't pay $5 a month for it. Especially when I can get the same information for free elsewhere. I usually only use it when on the toilet.
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Since I didn't like it or the space it took up...I deleted on demand entirely...ahhhh...like releasing unwanted gass to leave more space on my device.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast