Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I like the ability to have news delivered at a scheduled time (AvantGo does not have scheduled updating). With the latest update, you can now store channels on your card (previous versions claimed the capability but it did not work)...so RAM footprint is minimal
    how do you move the channels to the card i see the option on the prefs menu but it doesnt seem like it works, and i got the update
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    how do you move the channels to the card i see the option on the prefs menu but it doesnt seem like it works, and i got the update
    Tap and HOLD on one of the channels' little icons. A menu pops up and move to card is one of the options. Unfortunately, when you do that, at least when I do that, it moves it to the card but then it vanishes from the 3x3 grid of buttons and can't be accessed at all, even if you [x] check the box that says to display channels on the card.. at least that's how it behaves for me.. (!?) How did this thing ever get out of Beta testing with a bug like that?

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1Turbo
    If I have to guess what's free and what's not, I won't use it. It's not worth the trouble. I had problems with Sprint just upgrading to the 700P. I will avoid all this gray area stuff, including Sprint TV (which I have about zero interest in anyway), to avoid the inevitable problems.
    Remember when unlimited data meant unlimited data, at least on the handset?
    Remember when you bought something in a store and clerks addressed you as "Sir" or "Ma'am"? Remember when people used turn signals? Remember when 411 calls were free? Remember when music came on 12" round black vinyl things and cost $2.99 an album? Remember when gasoline was 25c a gallon and they ran out to fill your tank, clean your windows, check your oil, check your tire pressure, and said "thank you?" Remember when you had a medical appointment and you showed up on time and they didn't keep you sitting in the waiting room for an hour? Remember when circulating coins were made of Silver? I'm not saying the 50s and 60s were a perfect "Pleasantville" world, but the future ain't what it used to be.

Anyone got a time machine handy?

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    thanks alot for the tip Harv, i just tried it and moved them to the card the way you told me , and it works they did not dissapear i have the new version that was OTA updated the other day
    hi KStewart, how did you remove it? UninstallManager?
    I see it cache stuff but not sure where to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Since I didn't like it or the space it took up...I deleted on demand entirely...ahhhh...like releasing unwanted gass to leave more space on my device.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    thanks alot for the tip Harv, i just tried it and moved them to the card the way you told me , and it works they did not dissapear i have the new version that was OTA updated the other day
    Hi

Okay, thanks. It sounds like that's what the OTA update fixed, but the so-an-sos could give us some kind of clue or a history file or something when they FORCE an update -this one wasn't optional. On Demand simply insisted on updating itself or you coudn't use it at all. Why couldn't they tell us what the update was for? Since they can push news at us, I mean that's the purpose of the whole thing, they could have pushed an informational window saying what was changed. There wasn't any visible change that I could see after it updated itself. I just ASSumed that moving the modules to the card was still screwed up. Now I'll try moving one and see if it still shows up in the interface.

Thanks,
    Harv
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I like it and have it update automagically every morning at 4am. I travel extensively and I like the fact that I can get 7-day forecasts on everywhere I am going...although that is pretty much the only reason I use it. Sprint TV...let's just not go there, okay?

SMEGGIE
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    Remember when you bought something in a store and clerks addressed you as "Sir" or "Ma'am"? Remember when people used turn signals? Remember when 411 calls were free? Remember when music came on 12" round black vinyl things and cost $2.99 an album? Remember when gasoline was 25c a gallon and they ran out to fill your tank, clean your windows, check your oil, check your tire pressure, and said "thank you?" Remember when you had a medical appointment and you showed up on time and they didn't keep you sitting in the waiting room for an hour? Remember when circulating coins were made of Silver? I'm not saying the 50s and 60s were a perfect "Pleasantville" world, but the future ain't what it used to be.

Anyone got a time machine handy?

Harv

Remember when we used to use 300 baud modems? and we thought a 10 MB hard disk was large? And 20 pound portable computers? and floppy disks? And 512Kbps DSL cost $50?

So why are things so much better now?

I don't think your "Pleasantville" analogy is relevant here.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE
    I like it and have it update automagically every morning at 4am. I travel extensively and I like the fact that I can get 7-day forecasts on everywhere I am going...although that is pretty much the only reason I use it. Sprint TV...let's just not go there, okay?

SMEGGIE
    SMEGGIE, you need to check out xWeather.

http://www.moxsi.com/index.html

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  11.    #31  
    How do you know if you have the updated On Demand? I don't recall any OTA update. What version is the updated version?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    How do you know if you have the updated On Demand? I don't recall any OTA update. What version is the updated version?
    My installation of On Demand says it's V1.1.1521 after the update. When looking at "Page one" hit your keyboard menu button and look at "About." I don't remember what version it was before it forced itself to do an OTA update last week.

Harv
    So out of curiosity, why on earth is everybody worried about the 5megs of space this On Demand takes up? I didn't use 1/2 the memory on my 650 so I can't imagine memory being an issue on the 700.

I really like On Demand and just recently subscribed to the Premium Bundle that gives me 411, TV Guide and Maps and Directions.

Thumbs up, here
    Last edited by nchargreed; 06/26/2006 at 11:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    So out of curiosity, why on earth is everybody worried about the 5megs of space this On Demand takes up? :? I didn't use 1/2 the memory on my 650 so I can't imagine memory being an issue on the 700.

I really like On Demand and just recently subscribed to the Premium Bundle that gives me 411, TV Guide and Maps and Directions.

Thumbs up, here
    I think it's just an issue for those who are on the fence and/or considering the alternatives. Why take up 5 MB if you're not really using it. If you like it, then 5 MB is not the end of the world like it used to be.

If you don't mind my asking, how much are you spending for your bundle?
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    $4.95/mo, and I'm happy to pay it to have all the utilities wrapped into one convenient app.
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    So out of curiosity, why on earth is everybody worried about the 5megs of space this On Demand takes up? :? I didn't use 1/2 the memory on my 650 ...
    Oh Boy, are you lucky! I have yet to run into anyone except the most basic new user that has 10-11MB of free space on their T650. If you haven't used your T650 enough to see it bomb out from insufficient internal memory at least once, then you can probably safely ignore the parts of this thread reviling the RAM footprint of this barge.

The 700p's memory might seem like a huge improvement over what the T650 was stuck with, but it won't take too many developers getting lazy and releasing good but bloated ware requiring "only" 5MB of RAM to add up and make the 700p obsolete, too. You don't miss your RAM until it's gone.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I wouldn't call my usage "basic" by any means but I don't have all the games andI store what I can on my SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    I like On Demand, but won't pay $5 a month for it. Especially when I can get the same information for free elsewhere. I usually only use it when on the toilet.
    Funny you should mention that. I can cruise through everything in on demand while doing the same. Good for a whole day then. So I honestly can can't say I wouldn't pay [ ] for it.
    I don't use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    My installation of On Demand says it's V1.1.1521 after the update. When looking at "Page one" hit your keyboard menu button and look at "About." I don't remember what version it was before it forced itself to do an OTA update last week.

Harv
    LOL, I just read this post and when I opened On Demand to check my version it said it needed to update.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast