Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've searched this forum and the user manual but have not found an answer -
    My 650 came with a calculator that has different modes accessed by pressing the right side of the 5-way button, one of which is a financial calculator.
    I found the different modes early on, but since I'm not a real financial type, I couln't figure out HOW to use the financial mode (i.e. sequence of key strokes to calculate interest, etc.). My wife has a Real Estate-specific calculator, and when she doesn't have it w/ her it would be nice if she could use mine - trouble is neither of us can figure it out. Anyone who can help? (the Palm online PDF user manual only shows how to get to the advanced modes - not how to use them).

Thanks.
    Dr. Sandman
    Hi Doc.,

The TVM functions are definitely non-intuitive. In financial calculator, click the Edit button (just below N). You can then enter values and 'solve' the PV, INT, etc.
    Hope this helps.

parkerltng
    The financial calculator actually works pretty well. I most likely use the tool for similar purposes a realtor would...to determine how much a home would cost using different mortgage scenarios.

press 'edit' : a table will appear.

Present value: amount you are borrowing

Future value: almost always ZERO

Payment: this is usually what you want to calculate so leave it blank. (the calculator can only solve one variable...the one you leave blank)

Interest rate: self explanatory

Payments per year: 360 for a thirty year mortgage, 180 for a 15 year mortgage, etc..

Press 'solve': you will receive your missing variable.

Another added bonus is to press 'Amort' This will give you an amortization schedule. Best feature here is it tells you what the "Interest Only" payment will be.

hope this helps. email me if you have more questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by keithmeyer
    The financial calculator actually works pretty well. I most likely use the tool for similar purposes a realtor would...to determine how much a home would cost using different mortgage scenarios.

press 'edit' : a table will appear.

Present value: amount you are borrowing

Future value: almost always ZERO

Payment: this is usually what you want to calculate so leave it blank. (the calculator can only solve one variable...the one you leave blank)

Interest rate: self explanatory

Payments per year: 360 for a thirty year mortgage, 180 for a 15 year mortgage, etc..

Press 'solve': you will receive your missing variable.

Another added bonus is to press 'Amort' This will give you an amortization schedule. Best feature here is it tells you what the "Interest Only" payment will be.

hope this helps. email me if you have more questions.
    So, the "Payments per Year" line is actually "total number of monthly Payments?" Otherwise, I follow you totally.
    Sorry. Was not looking at the calculator when I posted.

'Payments per Year' equals 12 (once a month)

'N' equals total monthly payments...360 for 30 year loan etc....
    Is there a way to use this as a normal financial calculator. On my TI-BAII+, for instance, I'd I'd type...

60, N, 2.5, APR, 30000, PV, 0, FV, (Some solve command, I don't have it in front of me), FV, and it'll give me a payment value of $532.42.

If we can do that, wow, this'll be the best investment I've ever made.
    I guess you will have to play with it to see. My guess is: not. But pressing edit and filling in the blanks is not all that bad! (Many other modes, as well.)
    No, it's not, it helps to be able to see what you have, just in case you've entered a wrong number (caused me a few wrong answers in my finance classes :-|). It would be nice though, just to know it can be done.
    I agree. I have never been able to figure out a way to solve a variable without using the edit/table feature.

Using the table allows you to both view your entries and change single variables quite easily.
    I've been wondering too. It would be great if I could just find the "solve" button. I learned on the TIBAII and like it very much. I've found an HP KK12c emulator for palm but not one for the TI. The included one could replace them both if it was a little more convenient to use.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have used KK12c since my Samsung I500 days and what I have found is that my fat fingers get in the way since it is not D-pad or numeric-pad compatible. While I really like KK12c, I find flipping between screens (functions vs numbers) to be annoying, not a big deal, but just annoying. For some reason I always thought the Palm Financial calculator was never finished. Maybe because of limited documentation. Now that I have taken the time to understand how the Palm calculator works I can now remove KK12c and save some precious memory (KK12c would not run from card).

Thank you all for posting and especially to Dr. Sandman for raising the issue.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I use a program that is free, it is called simply enough, LoanCalc. I think you can get it at freewarepalm.com, if not I have attached the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago
    I have used KK12c since my Samsung I500 days and what I have found is that my fat fingers get in the way since it is not D-pad or numeric-pad compatible. While I really like KK12c, I find flipping between screens (functions vs numbers) to be annoying, not a big deal, but just annoying. For some reason I always thought the Palm Financial calculator was never finished. Maybe because of limited documentation. Now that I have taken the time to understand how the Palm calculator works I can now remove KK12c and save some precious memory (KK12c would not run from card).

Thank you all for posting and especially to Dr. Sandman for raising the issue.
    I am a big fan of KK12c, with butler installed you can use the side key to flip through screens. I am running it right now from my card, but I do get an occassional reset. I installed it on a T|X the other day and it was full screen, almost made me wish I had a bigger screen.

KK12c is it!
    I've been wanting to post this for a couple of days but my computer was fried last week by lightning and it's taken me until today to relocate this link. Anyway, here's a comprehensive manual for the calculator that's bundled in the Treo.
    http://www.imagiworks.com/PDF/ImagiMathManual.pdf

Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenspen
    I've been wanting to post this for a couple of days but my computer was fried last week by lightning and it's taken me until today to relocate this link. Anyway, here's a comprehensive manual for the calculator that's bundled in the Treo.
    http://www.imagiworks.com/PDF/ImagiMathManual.pdf

Enjoy.
    Thanks
    Just call me Berd.
    81 pages

This ought to be fun!

Thanks for the link though, too bad this isn't somewhere useful, like in a Treo Box!
  18.    #18  
    Yowza!! 81 pages - glad I printed it at work!
    Thank to all replys - very helpful.
    I might give the freeware a try also.

Best regards to all and happy 4th!!
    Dr. Sandman
  19.    #19  
    Just realized, you can cut the print from 81 down to 25 pages if you just select the "ImageiCalc" section of the PDF. - might have to specify pages 26-51 or so to narrow the print range -
    Dr. Sandman
    I can't find the manual on the page linked!! Am I that stupid?
    Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast