Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lol funny, i am looking at my desk right now, i have the EXACT same setup, 700P right next to a 700W

700P hands down is the winner

--700W is up for sale in the marketplace btw.
    I'm still not sure.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #4  
    i need both 700w for internet and 700p for apps.
    I have already chosesn.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I'd like to see side by side streaming video. I get a feel for the reduced screen rez with your display of the TreoCentral webpage on the 700W. You can see much more of the page on 700P due to the higher rez (I think). I know, for me, it would have been a much tougher decision if both had 320 X 320. Of course, I picked the 700P for that reason and because I wanted to stay with Sprint.
    I had the 700w for a couple of months and finally bought the "p" and sold the "w" on e-Bay. Three basic reasons:

1. pOutlook forces your appts to change as you change time zones (unless you cut yourself off from the network time).
    2. One-hand usage is 50% as good as POS, meaning that eventually I'll lose my stylus.
    3. The ongoing memory issues.

I agree with a poster on a similar thread where he says that WM5 needs maturity. I can see me moving to WM6/7 in a year or two, but for right now, POS is a far better choice.
    What will happen to POS when WM reaches maturity is what I am concerned about. Bill isn't done yet...this is only the beginning. Palm has to $hit or get off the pot.
    at&t iPhone3G
  8.    #9  
    700w is a better buy.
    Had both, 700p wins for me.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    I love the 700w, but unfortunately sprint only has the 700p and I can't afford 40 dollars a month for data on Verizon.
    Great idea for a thread.

If were comparring the w and the p and you say the w has a memory issue that makes no sense, right? The have about the same internal for your programs. I know the w has a lousey 10/12 megs for running programs but if you comparring that to the p then Your saying The w can only run around 4/5 programs at a time, well the p can only run 1/2, so the p is the one with the memory issue.

I know the p can launch a program faster but the w can switch between running apps faster than the p can close an app and open another. The net on the w beats the heck out of the p. Blazer is nice and it has javascript and all but on PPC you can browse with javascript, flash and front as IE6 on an XP and get to just about any site on the net.

My 6700 has its strong points and my 700p is awesome but I'm realy looking forward the Sprint 700w.
  12.    #13  
    700w wins the 700p is soo outdated with the os
    Its outdated and still better user wise...not including multitasking. That is all the W got going for it is multitasking.
    at&t iPhone3G
    the 700wis a nightmare if you are a power user. You can multitask for about 3 minutes until the memory runs out
    700p

-better mem
    -better one-handed
    -better email options (chatter)
    -better phone features
    -better software options (1000's)
    -better stability

cheers
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    700p

-better mem
    -better one-handed
    -better email options (chatter)
    -better phone features
    -better software options (1000's)
    -better stability

cheers
    Better memory?

They have about the same amount of memory don't they? And with the PPC you don't have to play those "palm games" where you have to put the program or reader on internal so it will recognize its db on the card so you end up with more memory with the w since you can run more from the card. So the w has more usable memory.

Better 1 handed......Ya but the w is pretty good 1 handed.

Better email?

Why is Chatter better? I have used Chatter on my Treo 600 for a year, 650 for a year and 700p for 3 weeks and ya know its great but pocket out lok does everything I need and is more stable.

Better phone features?

Please elaborate, what phone features?

Better software?

For every palm app ther is a PPC app...... OK...OK... I'm BSing you. There are still some palm apps I'm trying to find equivalents for but Iknow there out there

Better stability??? You just can't even make a statement like that. There both totally stable..... Its the 3rd party apps that are unstable and right now there are more unstable p apps snce the 0 was just released.
    PC Mag gives 700p 4.5* and Editor's Choice
    PC Mag gives 700w 3.0*

As an individual user, I gotta agree with them.....if I was in a MS dominated corporate shop, I'd give the w an extra 1/2 to full star.
    if anyone thinks the w and the p have the same stability they are living in the bizzaro world. Even with NO 3rd party apps- that device is highly unstable. As much as I wished the w worked better then the P cause I like the operating system better, the p is much better because it actualy works as advertised
    I had the 700w for about a month. I was willing to pay the termination fee to get rid of it.

1.) No they don't have the same memory. The 700w has 32MB, the 700p has 64MB. Palm programs also consume less memory in usage and storage than WM5 applications in general. Memory isn't just about storage, it about execution memory. I've had the 700w "freeze" due to low memory so I can't answer or place calls on it. I can't in any way describe this as "more usable memory".
    2.) If you think the 700w is good one handed then we are in different universes. It's better than previous WM devices but that's not saying much.
    3.) Glad the 700w email is good enough for you. It's not for me. Even without things like chatter, l'd like to delete a message but leave it on the server so I can get it later on my laptop. I can easily do this in Versamail. Let me check that option in POE. Oh, it doesn't have one! Delete that email in POE (or more likely have the device crash or freeze and loose that email) and it's gone for good.
    4.) What phone features? How about putting some darned buttons on the freaking screen to show you the available options in the call? Everything's buried in the right menu. Everyone rants about needing a touchscreen, but it's useless in the WM5 phone app, there's nothing on the screen!
    5.) I don't more apps, I need ones that work and are easy to use QUICKLY. I have to do three times the clicks on most WM apps to get the same amount done. The apps that do offer more functionality usually have them buried in horrendous UIs.
    6.) Stability? Actually they are both unstable to some extent. The 700p hits an error and reboots. Unless it's such in some task, it usually comes back up OK. The 700w usually doesn't reboot, it just freezes and sits there. That's OK if you know it's happening, but if it's in your pocket you pull it out two hours later and find all those calls you missed because it's frozen.

Also throw in a 240x240 lower contrast, muddy colored screen compared to the 320x320 brighter, higher contrast, better color screen on the 700p. For the life of me I can't think of any possible reason to prefer the 700w. Even if you liked WM5 (which I don't), the smaller memory, and inferior screen are big losers for it.

Quote Originally Posted by notjpr
    Better memory?

They have about the same amount of memory don't they? And with the PPC you don't have to play those "palm games" where you have to put the program or reader on internal so it will recognize its db on the card so you end up with more memory with the w since you can run more from the card. So the w has more usable memory.

Better 1 handed......Ya but the w is pretty good 1 handed.

Better email?

Why is Chatter better? I have used Chatter on my Treo 600 for a year, 650 for a year and 700p for 3 weeks and ya know its great but pocket out lok does everything I need and is more stable.

Better phone features?

Please elaborate, what phone features?

Better software?

For every palm app ther is a PPC app...... OK...OK... I'm BSing you. There are still some palm apps I'm trying to find equivalents for but Iknow there out there

Better stability??? You just can't even make a statement like that. There both totally stable..... Its the 3rd party apps that are unstable and right now there are more unstable p apps snce the 0 was just released.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast