Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bcaslis - You got a gold star for that post; you pegged the "w" exactly! I put up with mine for about 3 months until the "p" came out. I just sold the "w" on e-Bay. I might add one more to the mix: pOutlook continually changes your appointment times to match the time zone you are in. So, a 3pm flight that you entered when on Eastern Time becomes 12 noon when you're on the West Coast! What were they thinking??? I'm back in POS world and loving it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I had the 700w for about a month. I was willing to pay the termination fee to get rid of it.

1.) No they don't have the same memory. The 700w has 32MB, the 700p has 64MB. Palm programs also consume less memory in usage and storage than WM5 applications in general. Memory isn't just about storage, it about execution memory. I've had the 700w "freeze" due to low memory so I can't answer or place calls on it. I can't in any way describe this as "more usable memory".
    2.) If you think the 700w is good one handed then we are in different universes. It's better than previous WM devices but that's not saying much.
    3.) Glad the 700w email is good enough for you. It's not for me. Even without things like chatter, l'd like to delete a message but leave it on the server so I can get it later on my laptop. I can easily do this in Versamail. Let me check that option in POE. Oh, it doesn't have one! Delete that email in POE (or more likely have the device crash or freeze and loose that email) and it's gone for good.
    4.) What phone features? How about putting some darned buttons on the freaking screen to show you the available options in the call? Everything's buried in the right menu. Everyone rants about needing a touchscreen, but it's useless in the WM5 phone app, there's nothing on the screen!
    5.) I don't more apps, I need ones that work and are easy to use QUICKLY. I have to do three times the clicks on most WM apps to get the same amount done. The apps that do offer more functionality usually have them buried in horrendous UIs.
    6.) Stability? Actually they are both unstable to some extent. The 700p hits an error and reboots. Unless it's such in some task, it usually comes back up OK. The 700w usually doesn't reboot, it just freezes and sits there. That's OK if you know it's happening, but if it's in your pocket you pull it out two hours later and find all those calls you missed because it's frozen.

Also throw in a 240x240 lower contrast, muddy colored screen compared to the 320x320 brighter, higher contrast, better color screen on the 700p. For the life of me I can't think of any possible reason to prefer the 700w. Even if you liked WM5 (which I don't), the smaller memory, and inferior screen are big losers for it.
    Please tell me if I'm wrong.

The 700w has 52 megs for storing programs, the 700p has 58.

The 700w has 11 megs for running programs. The 700p,,,,,well it doesn't matter since its there are only a few instances when it cando more than 1 thing at a time.

I understand the 700wis limited in its multitasking since it only has 10 to 12 megs for running programs but palm is more limited. For me the multitasking issue comes down to the fact that the 700w is still functional during data transfer.

I agree on the reboot issue. I would much rather reboot than permanently freeze.

As far as the size of WM apps, they mey be a little bigger but you can run almost all of them from the card. You can't do that in palm. Half my palm apps won't find their database on the card if the program is on the card. That's no trouble with WM, I can store almost everyone of my programs on the card.
    You are probably right on the storage, I don't have the 700w anymore and Palm's product pages aren't 100% clear.

Storage isn't the issue. Execution memory is. Multi-tasking isn't worth squat if it can't run multiple programs due to lack of memory or bugs in the software.

I tried to make sure I closed programs on the 700w and still had several instances where the phone app would freeze not allowing me to answer or end calls.

A converged device that can't be relied on for phone calls is useless.

For a small device like the Treo I think multi-tasking is way overblown. I can talk on the phone and switch to calendar, contacts, etc.. on the 700p. I can do this without running out of memory and having the thing slow to a crawl like on the 700w. It's not a PC, it's a phone! The only thing I do like about the 700w and WM5 is that is nice to swith back to PIE and still have the page available without having it reload like under Palm OS. But this is a trivial like compared to all the problems.

You may problems with Palm apps not finding databases. I don't, but if you need the 700w for this, great. But that doesn't make the 700w better.

The other thing is the screen. The 240x240 is very limiting. Even apps that get updated for this screen size require alot of scrolling to work. To add insult to injury, Palm also gave the 700w a really poor looking screen beside the lower res. I just can't imagine what they were thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by notjpr
    Please tell me if I'm wrong.

The 700w has 52 megs for storing programs, the 700p has 58.

The 700w has 11 megs for running programs. The 700p,,,,,well it doesn't matter since its there are only a few instances when it cando more than 1 thing at a time.

I understand the 700wis limited in its multitasking since it only has 10 to 12 megs for running programs but palm is more limited. For me the multitasking issue comes down to the fact that the 700w is still functional during data transfer.

I agree on the reboot issue. I would much rather reboot than permanently freeze.

As far as the size of WM apps, they mey be a little bigger but you can run almost all of them from the card. You can't do that in palm. Half my palm apps won't find their database on the card if the program is on the card. That's no trouble with WM, I can store almost everyone of my programs on the card.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    That would be pretty friggen annoying if the w locked up when program memory was low instead of just closing an app. Come to think of it, the system closing an app would be just as bad because you'd have to remember to reopen what you were running and see if what you did was saved, or finish what you were doing. I have programs that do not auto save.

With the screen res, slower OS and constant need to close apps,,,,, your right, what a flop,,,,, What were they thinking? Multitasking was the only real advantage and they screwed that up...... You win, the 700p is better.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12