Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 81
  1. richpjr's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have a ton of traveling to do for work this summer and was getting tired of lugging around my phone, PPC, and iPod (along with all the cables and power adapters). I wanted an all in one device to combine them for traveling. I started with a Motorola Q being familiar with the PPC platform and while it was a great phone it just had too many issues to live with. I debated long and hard between the 700w and 700p. I really wanted the 700w but the inferior screen and RAM limitations pushed me to the 700p. I picked it up and while the Palm OS is dated and limiting compared to a PPC, the overall polish is miles ahead of any of the SmartPhones I have looked at. So I am keeping it and have purchased several add on programs to round things out.

    Which brings me to my point about the platform. I use a Bluetooth GPS a lot for getting around in cities I have never been in and had a ton of choices on my PPC for software. On the Palm it appears as if Mapopolis and TomTom are my only choices. I have tried Mapopolis on the PPC and really do not like the stupid way you have to load counties to use it. TomTom seems like the only other option. I have heard several rumors that a new version is about to be released, but have also heard that they won't be releasing one since the PalmOS is a "dead" platform. I also heard a hint of this about Mapopolis. Obviously these things are still selling and it's not like there isn't a large base of software out for them, but for me, the GPS is a big, big deal. If these companies drop support and don't update maps, etc, then for me, the phone is MUCH less useful to me. Do you fear that other companies will take this same approach? Is the 700p a "dead man walking"? Or am I just being paranoid?
  2. #2  
    No : )

    Once they get a Treo the size of the Q (or smaller) it will all be over except for the shouting : )
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
  3. #3  
    I really hope that the PalmOS survives in one form or another. I have so much invested in 3rd party apps that are an integral part of my existence with a PalmOS device. Hopefully the Linux version will be compatible with the existing PalmOS apps.
    Thanks,

    Mark

    Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    No : )

    Once they get a Treo the size of the Q (or smaller) it will all be over except for the shouting : )
    I agree...NOT a dead platform
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  5. #5  
    No, the danger is real... unless the Treo #00 L of the future has some kind of a backward compatibility.

    Or the OpenSource or Freeware community keeps things alive in the near future, but they can only contribute stand-alone applications (and not complete service based systems).

    Or there is always a hope that palm (or Access) does something drastic and kills off the other contenders.

    Don't expect too much, and don't get too "attached" to PalmOS.

    Some of the "new" things that we look forward to in a PalmOS (Treo) device is WiFi, GPS integration and not much else (at least in the near future), but that is another thread. The biggest problem is that the Treo "phone" is not too robust, unlike a Nokia.

    I wouldn't be too worried if only I could keep the Treo functional and working for as long as I want. That is unlikely as any current electronic/ computing device is not designed to last as long as, for example a Nikon FM2 (that's a 35MM film camera from the 70s). Designed-in obsolescence and and design for failure of harware is a big problem.

    We can always think of a purchase as consisting of four things:
    1) Purchase the device
    2) Purchase of additional software
    3) Purchase of additional services
    4) Purchase of data migration services from your current device

    So the end purchase price will probably be 4x the device cost, and one can probably budget for that.
  6. #6  
    No. After years of development - the MS Mobile platform STILL does stupid things like require you to hit menu to get to speakerphone. They just dont get the concept that simpler and faster is better for a mobile app.
  7. #7  
    Unfortunately it is. This is most clearly seen by the amount of 3rd party hardware support while the OS is freely licensed. If it wasn't a dead platform more manufacturers would be trying to build devices and try to get into the market.

    Surur
  8. #8  
    PalmOS may be a dead platform, but it didn't prevent me from buying the 700p. It uses EVDO, it does what I need, has plenty of memory. I am conscious of it though, and think about how I store my data on it and how I'll transfer it to a new OS system if that becomes necessary in the future.
  9. #9  
    I think it's a dead platform also. I certainly wouldn't invest money in developing new apps for it.

    That said: If I had a choice I'd be on the 650 or the 700p right now as I still think it's the most viable phone/pda convergence device available at the moment.

    WM6 may change that, or some other not-yet-released device may change that. (Perhaps even from Palm themselves!)

    Not knowing all of the details of what Palm is releasing in the future (well, I know more than the rest of you, but NDA prevents me from talking <smile> ) WM5 is the way to go right now for future application development. I only hope the devices improve a bit and Microsoft doesn't wait until WM6 to fix the quirkiness.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  10. Tmair's Avatar
    Posts
    373 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr
    I have a ton of traveling to do for work this summer and was getting tired of lugging around my phone, PPC, and iPod (along with all the cables and power adapters). I wanted an all in one device to combine them for traveling. I started with a Motorola Q being familiar with the PPC platform and while it was a great phone it just had too many issues to live with. I debated long and hard between the 700w and 700p. I really wanted the 700w but the inferior screen and RAM limitations pushed me to the 700p. I picked it up and while the Palm OS is dated and limiting compared to a PPC, the overall polish is miles ahead of any of the SmartPhones I have looked at. So I am keeping it and have purchased several add on programs to round things out.

    Which brings me to my point about the platform. I use a Bluetooth GPS a lot for getting around in cities I have never been in and had a ton of choices on my PPC for software. On the Palm it appears as if Mapopolis and TomTom are my only choices. I have tried Mapopolis on the PPC and really do not like the stupid way you have to load counties to use it. TomTom seems like the only other option. I have heard several rumors that a new version is about to be released, but have also heard that they won't be releasing one since the PalmOS is a "dead" platform. I also heard a hint of this about Mapopolis. Obviously these things are still selling and it's not like there isn't a large base of software out for them, but for me, the GPS is a big, big deal. If these companies drop support and don't update maps, etc, then for me, the phone is MUCH less useful to me. Do you fear that other companies will take this same approach? Is the 700p a "dead man walking"? Or am I just being paranoid?
    Wyle I have no idea if it is a "dead platform" or not, I just wanted to mention somthing about mapopolis, I like the program, you can load an entire state or states if you wish onto a SD card, and it will work just fine, or you can get the navcard which has all of the states on it, so you dont realy have to load individual counties, actualy I guess you do but you can just do a select all copy and paist, or do like I do, I took the time to unzip all of the state files I recieved then put the counties in maps in a folder for each state, that way I just select a state or states and put those folders on my card, works just fine.
    Terry
  11. #11  
    Just a thought... after all those launchers tryingto mimic Windows, we may see some now for WM trying to mimic the palm UI.
    Game over!
  12. #12  
    I wouldn't pretend to think that PalmOS has a glowing future. However, a future Palm based on Linux could easily be designed around the current PalmOS metaphor yet have truly pre-emptive multitasking and run past PalmOS apps through an emulation layer not unlike what Apple did with ClassicOS and now with Rosetta on their Intel machines.

    I would suggest that Palm and Apple get in bed with one another to produce the ultimate OS X based PDA to kill of Windows Mobile. They could do it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS

    I would suggest that Palm and Apple get in bed with one another to produce the ultimate OS X based PDA to kill of Windows Mobile. They could do it.
    One can dream, can't they?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  14. #14  
    What is the Palm OS ? Are we talking Garnet, Cobalt or one of the new Linux things ? Looking at the article on Toms Hardware site, it seems many are predicting Linux to take the mobile market "by storm". It 's expected that 42 % of mobile phones will have a full featured OS by 2008. Unless MS does something about it's pricing, I don't see WM being big there, at leats not in Asia. Not when we talking 122 million units with full featured operating systems which are expected to ship worldwide in 2008.

    A bunch of big mobile vendors (NEC, Moto, Samsung, Panasonic) have formed a Linux alliance, agreeing to develop a standard Linux based API for the phones. PalmSource is obviously in the Linux camp and has guaranteed backward compatability for Palm (Garnet) programs. Palm itself has been hiring Linux engineers as fast as MS hires lawyers. With 122 million times $xx for OS licensing fees, ya gotta think a non WM alternative is BIG in mobile vendor's minds.

    While Nokia and Sony seem to be still holding out with Symbian, one's has gotta wonder whether they will continue to stand it alone here.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 06/24/2006 at 06:29 PM. Reason: had NEC twice in there, forgot Panasonic
  15. #15  
    When people say Platform I think they mean POS compatible. If they wont pay royalties for WM they wont want to pay to ACCESS either.

    Surur
  16. #16  
    Interesting post Jack.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    No : )

    Once they get a Treo the size of the Q (or smaller) it will all be over except for the shouting : )

    When will this happen????
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    When people say Platform I think they mean POS compatible.
    If it runs all ya POS programs does that make it "POS Compatabile" for all intents and purposes ?

    If they wont pay royalties for WM they wont want to pay to ACCESS either.
    So you saying for example that paying MS say $75 a unit for WM6 versus $10 a unit for ACCESS has no fiscal imnpact ? I am not saying these are the numbers but I certainly expect WM's gonna have a bigger price tag than ACCESS.

    Or if NEC, Moto, Samsung, Panasonic and maybe Palm develop their own stuff, they don't gotta pay anyone royalties....their decison is what's cheaper ....paying royalties or developing it themselves.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    When will this happen????
    The "thing that no one is allowed to call Hollywood anymore" is expected in 3rd quarter timeframe....but also expected to be WM5 ... logic dictates non Wm5 version will be maybe 2-4 months behind
  20. #20  
    XP home is $80. WM is between $8-15. POS 5 is in a similar range. There is a good chance WM will be cheaper than POS, simply because Microsoft has deeper pockets.

    Surur
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions