Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I recently ran into this, and it was utter panic as it happened at the worst time. Better yet, as others have reported, VZW won't help you at the store and you have to get the phone replaced via mail. I'm a long time POS user and here's what I did along with some things I've found.

I couldn't break out of the endless loop, so I hard reset the 700P. I use BackupBuddy VFS to backup my Treo every morning, and I used it to restore the 700P from the memory card. For me, BackupBuddy VFS has been great, both on my Palm T5 and the 700P, and the restore worked fine. After you restore, you must soft rest your 700P. You should be okay after this. It takes a few minutes, and is annoying, but it's worked for me. So far the loop problem has happened 3 times.

Also, opinions will vary, but every time I've had a major Palm problem with loops or resets I've been able to trace it back to DataViz Docs-To-Go. Don't get me wrong- I love Docs-2-Go, and use 2 other DataViz products and like them very much. But I've found that removing Docs-To-Go has almost always cured my problems without having to restore or rebuilt my POS device. In Docs-2-Go you simply go to Tools | Reinstall Handhelp Apps and you're back in luck.

With my last endless loop, rather than delete Docs-2-Go and waste time, I installed the DataViz Tech Tool utility (downloadable from their site). Under the Options | Advanced area you can elect to Delete Preferences and Delete Temp Database. By deleting these two items I was able to clear up my endless loop issue (which came back even after a complete memory card restore), which leads me to believe one of these items was corrupted somehow.

Anyway, backup and restore seems to help, and you can try the DataViz Tech Tool. Hope this helps someone.
    But my problem (and I believe the problem of several here) is that the Access Powered loop CANNOT be recovered from. Hard reset does not work. You go through the hard reset procedure and select to erase your data, but as soon as you do the Access Powered loop continues - you never even get into POS to do a restore. I hotsync and back up to card daily. They do me no good if I can't get into the POS at all. This is the worst reset loop I have ever seen.

Luckily I have my new treo. Hopefully my last (until I get a new model in two years...LOL).
  3. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Verizon Treo 700p w/ Martin Fields and Best Skin Ever film (sold)
    Yeah... the probem I had, was the when I did a Hard Reset, I still had the "Access Powered" screen.

I brought the phone to a Sprint store and got it replaced. I have the Sprint Extended warranty.
    Everyone with this problem should list their stats on their phones like the serial number range, the carrier, the hardware revision, and/or any other info you think could identify a bad "range".... That was surely get a discussion going.
    Quote Originally Posted by macguitar View Post
    Everyone with this problem should list their stats on their phones like the serial number range, the carrier, the hardware revision, and/or any other info you think could identify a bad "range".... That was surely get a discussion going.
    That's a good idea. Is there a screen that sums all of that information up, or does it have to come from a combination of screens. A good piece of freeware perhaps might consolidate all this stuff in one place?
    Sure is! From the phone/dialpad screen, pull-down the menu on top, and from the Options Menu, select Phone Info. You will see lots of info, like the serial number, hardware version and software version (and more!) You can also just pull-down the menu and press the "i" key as a shortcut.
    Um, guys, if you get the Access Powered reset loop, how are you supposed to write down all your info off your phone?!

LOL

Sorry, it just struck me as funny.

Got my new one already. The keyboard is multicolored kind of with red & blue tinges to the keyboard backlight, but otherwise the screen looks good.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    Um, guys, if you get the Access Powered reset loop, how are you supposed to write down all your info off your phone?!

LOL
    LOL is right... That's classic!

As the original guy who started this thread, let me reiterate (as others have) that this kind of loop does NOT respond to a hard reset.

I'm now on my third 700P, and this one-- which I've now had for over two months-- hasn't done this (yet?). I don't know if the first two had bad ROM chips, or if the problem was caused by either VolumeCare or the Seido extended battery (which has slightly different voltage), but I haven't used either of those and so far, the Treo's been fine (except that I did have to do one hard reset when it freaked out on me in a different way).
    OOPS!!! I'm the one who suggested getting the info, and I'm the one you can laugh at! Maybe you can give a serial number range or version number from the sticker on your box (if you still have it)? That works even if your Treo doesn't.
    Well then , maybe we should take a screenshot of the information now, since I'm beginning to think that it's just a matter of time until we get the dreaded unstoppable infinite loop.
    NOTE: verizon 700p

Ok, so of course I got the endless access powered loop. which sucked. did the soft reset. nothing. did a hard reset. nothing.

then i remembered the super way to do a real hard reset and...PHONE IS ALIVE AGAIN!

NOTE: you will of course lose all of your data on your phone! hopefully you backed up...

1. take out the battery and wait 10 seconds
    2. hold down the red power button AND DON'T LET GO UNTIL STEP 4
    3. Put the battery back in WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE POWER BUTTON
    4. Wait until the Access Powered screen comes on and THEN finally let go of the power button
    5. Press up to erase all data, blah blah

remember once you hard reset to dial *22899 to reprogram your phone and update it with the latest verizon goodies (if you're on verizon).
    Quote Originally Posted by dreborn View Post
    NOTE: verizon 700p

Ok, so of course I got the endless access powered loop. which sucked. did the soft reset. nothing. did a hard reset. nothing.

then i remembered the super way to do a real hard reset and...PHONE IS ALIVE AGAIN!

NOTE: you will of course lose all of your data on your phone! hopefully you backed up...

1. take out the battery and wait 10 seconds
    2. hold down the red power button AND DON'T LET GO UNTIL STEP 4
    3. Put the battery back in WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE POWER BUTTON
    4. Wait until the Access Powered screen comes on and THEN finally let go of the power button
    5. Press up to erase all data, blah blah

remember once you hard reset to dial *22899 to reprogram your phone and update it with the latest verizon goodies (if you're on verizon).

The above procedure is a "Hard Reset". You must not have been really doing a hard reset. Those of us who are really having this issue, when you finish step 5, nothing happens.
    Hmm...well, first of all, since i was in access power loop and could not get out of it i would argue that i was "really having this issue."

I also did a hard reset the way I normally do which is to (keep the battery in), hold down the power button, and press the reset button. then press up to erase all data, etc.

i tried this hard reset method TWICE and it would not get out of the loop. i tried the method i listed in my original post and my treo was alive again.

it worked for me, i am sorry that it didn't work for you
    Quote Originally Posted by dreborn View Post
    Hmm...well, first of all, since i was in access power loop and could not get out of it i would argue that i was "really having this issue."

I also did a hard reset the way I normally do which is to (keep the battery in), hold down the power button, and press the reset button. then press up to erase all data, etc.

i tried this hard reset method TWICE and it would not get out of the loop. i tried the method i listed in my original post and my treo was alive again.

it worked for me, i am sorry that it didn't work for you

Ok.. I appologize. I didn't realize that taking the battery out helped. I didn't think that would have any real effect. I guess I was wrong.

Hopefully I won't have the opportunity to try your suggestion, but maybe someone else can respond.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Same exact method worked for me a month ago. I also posted it on Treo Central somewhere...

A Verizon tech walked me through it. Worked like a champ.

Now, where's that ROM upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    LOL is right... That's classic!

As the original guy who started this thread, let me reiterate (as others have) that this kind of loop does NOT respond to a hard reset.

I'm now on my third 700P, and this one-- which I've now had for over two months-- hasn't done this (yet?). I don't know if the first two had bad ROM chips, or if the problem was caused by either VolumeCare or the Seido extended battery (which has slightly different voltage), but I haven't used either of those and so far, the Treo's been fine (except that I did have to do one hard reset when it freaked out on me in a different way).
    Early 5.4x versions of VolumeCare caused a similar event becuase of the method I was using to extract the ESN number from the Treo. I had to switch to ESN licensing for some Treo 700p users because the HSSN numbers were not programmed into some Treo 700p's. This probelem has been fixed with VolumeCare version 5.46!

Jeff
    I had an endless loop issue a couple of days ago. A hard reset with the aid of RescoBackup was the charm.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I'm seeing a similar problem with my 700P and my newly installed Parrot 3200 hands-free kit.

I was able to pair up and use my 700P with the 3200. Next, I went into my Contacts (I sync with Exchange at work) and tried to send a category of numbers to the 3200.

Ever since, with my phone on and connected to Verizon, I start my car and the 3200 connects with my 700P. Pretty soon I see a "Failed Synchronising" message on the 3200, and then my 700P resets.

The 700P will cycle a number of times and maybe settle down with the phone turned off. If I activate the pone, the cycle starts all over.

Any thoughts??

BTW, how do i check on and update my firmware if needed?

Thanks for your help!
    i too have the parrot 3200 and noticed some interesting reboots while using it though never the "access powered" continous issue.

have u upgraded the firmware on your parrot 3200? make sure you do.

if you haven't upgraded your treo since you bought it you must likely don't have the latest version. i WOULDN'T rush out and get it though since it supposedly only fixes IR issues. though go for it if ya want. =)

i transfer my contacts to my parrot by setting the parrot to receive contacts, go to my contacts on the treo, make sure the category is set to "ALL" and then menu, send category, bluetooth. choose the parrot and away it goes.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast