Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Put me on the list of those who saw a considerable improvement in the Phone app after removing the Versamail files described in this thread...

I hope this lasts... !
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet
    Put me on the list of those who saw a considerable improvement in the Phone app after removing the Versamail files described in this thread...

I hope this lasts... !
    This is encouraging. Maybe we could see some really nice speed increases on the 700p once a ROM tool is developed and we can strip out all of the junk. That and a firmware update from Palm for the memory management problems and the 700p will hopefully be flying.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    This is encouraging. Maybe we could see some really nice speed increases on the 700p once a ROM tool is developed and we can strip out all of the junk. That and a firmware update from Palm for the memory management problems and the 700p will hopefully be flying.
    I just bumped the 700p RomTool Thread.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm using Zlauncher and I see about 20 files that begin with "MM".....

-t
    Treo 700p -->> 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo, MD
    I'm using Zlauncher and I see about 20 files that begin with "MM".....

-t
    Yup, there's a lot of them. Just try deleting them one at a time. Many of them will result in an error telling you that you can't delete the file. That's fine. Just move on to the next.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    There is a file "_MMServers"
    Do I delete that one?
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Don't do it based on the name, do it based on the creator ID. The VersaMail files have creator ID's of asc3 and asc4. With the freeware app Filez, you can filter the file list by creator ID.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Well I deleted all the files using FileZ and it's faster for sure.
    But I did notice that the files did recreate themselves after I did a soft reset. However the files have no records in them.
    Is that OK or did I screw up?
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    Well I deleted all the files using FileZ and it's faster for sure.
    But I did notice that the files did recreate themselves after I did a soft reset. However the files have no records in them.
    Is that OK or did I screw up?
    TIA
    That's about right. I mean, you didn't screw up.
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    I assume the asc3 and asc4 files in rom cannot be reoved and have now affect.

It definite makes a difference in switching apps....much faster.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com
    I deleted all the asc* files. Still get an occasional white screen while switching apps (delay is about 30-60 seconds) - though maybe only once a day at most. Deleting the asc* stuff didn't seem to make any difference. I never use VM (have Snapper), but my T700p is restored from a T650 backup (has been tweaked a bit for testing, though).
    I wonder if that 650 backup is part of the problem. I've never seen a delay of more than a second between apps, and I don't get frequent resets that some users report (in fact, I don't think I've had a single reset in a month's use). Even when I tried Versamail for a few days, I didn't see those problems. I gave up Versamail and went back to Snapper because Versa couldn't do what I wanted.

After reading numerous reports that the 650 is faster than the 700p, I tried an app-switching test on my 700 and my wife's 650 (both Sprint), and found that switching is slightly faster on the 700, though the differences are so small (maybe half a second vs. a second) as to make no difference in practice. Since neither of us uses ptunes, I can't test the widely-reported problem of ptunes skipping on the 700.

Going from a 600 to the 700p, I carefully followed the official Perry's-instructions-for-a-clean-install, and maybe that saved me some grief. Or maybe I was lucky and got one of the better 700s. But the major differences between 600 and 700 in my experience are (a) better display (I'd done more than 2 years with the 600's display and reluctantly held off on the 650; I was ready for an upgrade), (b) better stability, and (c) downloads go a whole lot faster.
    I purchased my phone last Thursday - and I'm not seeing any delays - in fact I think it's very snappy. I wonder if they made a quick fix...
    Quote Originally Posted by Treonite
    I purchased my phone last Thursday - and I'm not seeing any delays - in fact I think it's very snappy. I wonder if they made a quick fix...
    i guess you haven't launched Versamail yet.
    No, they did not.
    Fwiw, I deleted the asc4 files first - no speed improvement. once the asc3 files were deleted, it made a difference.
    Sprint Treos 300->600->650->700p
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    ATT Galaxy Skyrocket (current)
    I don't see any of these VersaMail files at all. does that mean that it didn't get installed on my treo? i do still see some delays going from one app to another, nothing I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't read this and similar threads, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyeguy
    I don't see any of these VersaMail files at all. does that mean that it didn't get installed on my treo? i do still see some delays going from one app to another, nothing I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't read this and similar threads, tho.
    Verizon-based Treos do not have Versamail installed unless you choose to install it from the CD-ROM that came with the phone.
    My 700p is quite snappy as well, and definitely meets my needs. I had a 700w and xv6700 prior to this, and overall it feels faster than either of those units -- and the xv6700 has a faster CPU. WinMobile must be a resource hog.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmass
    Verizon-based Treos do not have Versamail installed unless you choose to install it from the CD-ROM that came with the phone.
    I've never installed anything from the CD-ROM. However, my Verizon unit has an "Email" icon which leads me to a setup screen. I've never started the setup. When you use a file manager to see what's there, this is what I see:

VersaMail (msqS)
    VMNetLogging (BqLq)

No other apparent VersaMail files. However, I also see:

MultiMail (asc3)
    MultiMail Attachment (asc3)
    MultiMail Disconnect (asc3)
    Multimail Messages (asc3)
    MMNoticy Send (asc3)
    MMNotify (asc4)
    MMIDCache0 (asc4)
    MMIDCache1 (asc4)
    MMIDCache2 (asc4)
    MMIDCache3 (asc4)
    MMIDCache4 (asc4)
    MMIDCache5 (asc4)
    MMIDCache6 (asc4)
    MMIDCache7 (asc4)
    MMConduit-asc6 (asc6)
    MMConfigFPL (asc8)

I also have the following MM files:

MM Text Lookup FPI (MMtl)
    MMDiskLib (MA12)
    MMHtmlPlugin (MA02)
    MMPluginMGR (MMpl)
    MMPRCPlugin (MA03)
    MMSDCard (VCrd)
    MMSmartAdd (MMsa)
    MMSTraffic.dmp (HsTT)

Then there are a bunch of MMS transport files in rom, followed by:

MMTextPlugin (MA01)
    MMUnzipPlugin (MUnz)
    MMVCal (MA04)
    MMVCardPlugin (MA08)
    MMWave (MA99)
    MMWizard (MMw1)
    MMWordPlugin (MA09)

I've seen everyone talking about VersaMail.....what about MultiMail? I wonder if it is a Verizon-only deal from the lack of comments. Leaving out the MMS files, that seems like a lot of overhead with those MM files....and none of these files are in rom.
    Last edited by dcpmark; 07/04/2006 at 09:48 AM.
    Patience young grasshopper, patience. I too experienced lightening out of the box, but soon the molasses with find its way into the nooks and cranies of your Treo after some use (I've had mine for about a month now). I hope I'm wrong about your Treo but judging by the popularity of this thread, I don't think I will be.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.