1.    #1  
    Everything was going great until last week when I plugged the phone in to do a hotsync and I got the message "USB Device Not Recognized... One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance..." (see attached pic) I've deleted and reinstalled Palm Desktop around 8 times w/ limited success, tried it on my laptop with the same result and eventually caved and called verizon. After spenting around 1.5 hours on the phone with palm and verizon they said its a device issue and I can return it... what a pain.... has anyone had a similar issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    have u tried a different USB port?

also did u have a 650/600? if so, u should try to plug in the new USB cable into the same USB port as before.

My new innodock had similar issues.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I get that error sometimes, too. Unplug it & plug it back it, it will probably recognize it at some point.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Same issue the first day with the 700p. The USB cable that came with the 700p was defective. My p650 cable solved the problem until Sprint replaced the original.
  5.    #5  
    I tried several USB ports (and my laptop) and this is my first treo... I thought it was the cable at first but it def isn't...
    Did you try a different cable? You said you tried multiple pcs, but I didn't see that you tried a different cable. How do you know it isn't the cable? if you have tried different cables, and gotten the same result, then I would return your 700P and get another one.
    I have seen this several times. In my case I have learned to be patient and wait a few minutes after the "USB Device Not Recognized..." message pops up in the taskbar. I believe the search for the driver actually goes on in the background. After a while, it usually recognizes the device; sometimes, it is necessary to unplug and plug in the USB cable a couple of times as someone above indicated. I have found all of this to be a bit quirky. This routine could really be improved by Microsoft as it takes a bit of time but there is no indication that there is anything going on, the message sounds so definitive and final.

Hope this helps...
    this happens to me sometimes while performing a hotsync , it happened with my 650 and my 700, just push the hotsync button it will start to try to hotsync , unplug the cable from the usb while its trying to hotsync and plug it back in, try it a few times it should work, if that doesnt work unplug from the phone end, not the usb end , that should work also
    A similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago, I had to reinstall the software from the Palm CD and that fixed it.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I had this happen when I installed a 4 gb card. I release the the card half out and the error went away. I think this is a bug and not related to the hardware. I suspect that there will be a software fix comming along.
  11.    #11  
    so basically this isn't worth the time and effort it would take to swap phones?
    Here's some things I'd try

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(2630)

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(1005)
    Some of these responses are missing the fact that you said you tried this on multiple pc's - at least that is what I interpreted what you wrote. So if you tried this on two pc's and experienced the same problem, then I believe either the cable or the phone is bad. If you can get your hands on another cable to try, that would be easiest.

If I missed the boat and you tried this on only one machine, then I am all wet.
    I had this error with my 650 - it was the cable getting messed up-
    all you have to do is reload the drivers.
  16.    #16  
    Justleft... you got it just right... 2 Different PC's, works once then stops working and I should also add that when it does decide to hotsync it no longer sync's my contacts, calendar and tasks. Again no clue why.
    do a forum search on dbscan.
    sometimes when the sync hangs on contacts, calander, or tasks, it's due to a corrupt db.
    Just a suggestion.
    Just call me Berd.
    delete the usb item from the system devices in the control panel/system option. install drivers, then plug back in.
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by justleft
    Some of these responses are missing the fact that you said you tried this on multiple pc's - at least that is what I interpreted what you wrote. So if you tried this on two pc's and experienced the same problem, then I believe either the cable or the phone is bad. If you can get your hands on another cable to try, that would be easiest.

If I missed the boat and you tried this on only one machine, then I am all wet.
    Well since they both his laptop and his desktop....

Was data copied from one to another which could have brought the problem with the transfer ? Now if he installed PD clean on the laptop and hard reset the treo before syncing, then I'd say cable / Treo problem
  20.    #20  
    I've been playing with the phone and I'm not exactly sure what I did but it is hotsyncing now but as I mentioned above it still is not syncing my contacts, calendar and tasks. I have tried dbscan and it didn't help, I tried using bluetooth to sync and same thing happened (so now I know its not the cable) I have also went through the entire Palm support site again without success so does anyone else have ideas about what the problem could be before I swap phones tommorow? Thanks