Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Marc,

I'm sure you get feature requests all of the time, but here's a couple more for you:

* Can Chatter show that I have flagged a message as complete, i.e. changed a flag to a check mark in OWA? I flag messages for follow up and like the visual cue (check mark) that shows I have followed up. Would love to see this in Chatter to help keep me straight.

* Can Chatter show the reply icon on a message that I replied to in OWA? I sync my sent items folder and it is sometimes helpful to know that I replied to a message (whether on my Treo - which Chatter shows, or in OWA - which Chatter doesn't), that way I can hunt down the reply in my sent folder.

* Can Chatter be enhanced so that I could search for messages by sender or keyword like I can do on my BlackBerry?

I posted a couple of these in another thread and just wanted to put them back out there in case you didn't see them. Thanks for the wonderful work you do!
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    #1 and #2 could be done, but I haven't gotten to them yet. #3 can already be done to some extent using the Palm OS's "find" capability.

Marc
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    #1 and #2 could be done, but I haven't gotten to them yet. #3 can already be done to some extent using the Palm OS's "find" capability.

Marc
    Excellent suggestion on #3. Thanks a bunch! Any timeline on #1 & #2?
    Nothing specific. Probably within a month.

Marc
    Marc,

a few more suggestions ...
    1) With the upcoming calendar sync, can you make it where your Palm calendar syncs with a calender of choice on Outlook. I use 2 calendars in Outlook.
    (a) a work calendar as the default calendar and
    (b) a personal calendar that I sync with my treo.

1) Make the message composing view expand to not show the header when writing an email.
    2) Option to encrypt email stored on an SD card.
    Marc,

Do you have an official "to do" feature list somewhere? Just searching this forum, I see various feature requests posted, some overlapping.

I'm a newcomer to Chatter after years with SnapperMail Enterprise, but can see lots to love. And obviously Chatter has been the top of the pops for a while... so I'm worried that any ideas I might have may have actually been asked and answered ages ago.

I've got a couple minor nitpicks... and let me just say that it's great to use software where there are just nitpicks rather than deal-breakers (like two years without format-flowed on Snapper!), and where the developer is so visible and responsive.

First, is there a way to rework signatures? Obviously, there's a significant code-based reason why messages have to include the <<signature>> tag, even when there is no signature, because you have a first-time dialog box explaining this behavior. Still, it's distracting, and I end up deleting it anyway. And when one does use a signature, it also has those <<>> wrappers, rather than inserting them as-is (where it'd be easier to tweak).

Second, a totally minor quibble with a probably well-considered and implemented UI/select-highlight setup. That will take a lot of explaining for such a tiny thing.

Currently, when composing a new message, the "To:" field is highlighted and the cursor placed within, exactly as it should be. Hitting the center button instead of typing takes you straight to the contacts lookup screen, exactly as it should be.

But after selecting a recipient, you're dropped in a separate window to add more recipients. If I just want to start my message, I can click 'down and center' to hit that 'OK' button and get going. I can just start typing to manually add someone. But if I want to return to add another recipient, I have to navigate to the 'Lookup' button in the lower right. I think most folks will use the Lookup, so I think there should be a quicker way to get there (i.e. either go back to the message or go back to the lookup with fewer steps).

After being dropped in the separate "To:" window, having the cursor selected first makes sense. Hitting the center button at that point selects the whole form/box, which also makes sense, to facilitate navigating to the buttons. My suggestion is, while the whole form/box is selected, make hitting the center button again return to the 'Lookup' screen. Similar to the behavior of the form fields in the message view.

So one can trigger a new message, hit the center button to lookup, then either center-down-center (OK) to start typing, or center-center to lookup again.

Of course, I'm sure there's a reason you set up the select-highlight order the way you did, so this is just one new user's suggestion. I'm coming at this from a SnapperMail-user's perspective, and in some cases just find some of the UI/navigation design quicker or more intuitive -- understanding entirely that it's largely personal preference!

Mahalo again for a great product.
    As a new user (~3 days, registered for ~2 days), let me take a crack at one of your issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    First, is there a way to rework signatures? Obviously, there's a significant code-based reason why messages have to include the <<signature>> tag, even when there is no signature, because you have a first-time dialog box explaining this behavior. Still, it's distracting, and I end up deleting it anyway. And when one does use a signature, it also has those <<>> wrappers, rather than inserting them as-is (where it'd be easier to tweak).
    Go to Pref/Preferences/Composing and check off "No Signature." the <<signagture>> tag should disappear (at least it did for me).
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy
    Go to Pref/Preferences/Composing and check off "No Signature." the <<signagture>> tag should disappear (at least it did for me).
    Huh. Of course. Wonder why a signature is the default, since the field is empty by default? Thanks. A forehead-smacker to be sure. I figured it had to be that way, because of the warning dialog (something like, you'll see this message even if you don't have one).

Still, if the signature function would just insert the text in the signature field as-is, without <<>> wrappers, things would make more sense. For example, if one left the signature option checked but had no signature defined, a new message would have nothing pre-inserted. This would also help the second part of my suggestion, which is to have signatures that are included appear as-is, rather than in those <<>> wrappers... so it's easier to see what your recipients will see, and to make edits to it as needed (i.e. to change an included phone number or something).
    The << >> are added so that Chatter can easily locate the signature in case the sending profile is changed (and the signature needs to reflect the new profile).

Marc
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Marc,

Here's a little nitpick. I often receive Exchange messages that are sent to me (via To field), but also CC someone else. When I use the Reply to All button, my email address is included in the group to be CC'd. This doesn't seem to make sense. Can chatter detect my email address, based on my profile, and not include it in the CC list when I Reply to All? Thanks man!
    jeeter - Are you using the beta?

Marc
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    jeeter - Are you using the beta?

Marc
    Yep! Is this not an issue in the stable version?
    Quote Originally Posted by gene
    ... I use 2 calendars in Outlook.
    (a) a work calendar as the default calendar and
    (b) a personal calendar that I sync with my treo.
    Did you accomplish this by using a PST (Personal Folder file) or a second mailbox? If it's a PST, it's unlikely anything OWA-based could sync with it. If it's a second mailbox, then I guess a point of clarification would be is that the same mailbox that your email inbox is in. If not, then this might wind up being a request to "allow us to synchronize with a calendar in a different mailbox than we use for email".