Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Need advice from 700p users.

I'm at the end of my 30 days with the 700p and have already called palm to arrange the return. I'm going back to my 6700 because:

6700 pros:

1) The 6700 allows you to do anything you want on the PDA while downloading a web page. (multitasking)

2) The 6700 is rock solid stable. (I can root out and fix resets but I'm just to d@med busy for that)

700p pros:
    1) The dpad is the best!

2) Its nice to have the KB always exposed.

3) There is more SW for palm.

I'm split 50/50...... Help!!!
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    I have tried to go to WM but it is just soooo slow compared to POS.
    I too have tried the Windows Mobile route, tried the Sprint 6700 a few months ago, still had my 650. I upgraded to a 700p, and tried out the Q, still LOVE my 700p. I feel like once you use a Treo it's hard to go to anything else.
    Jimmie Geddes
  4.    #4  
    You are right about that, palm is faster.

WM5 was a great achievement and it was pretty comfortable for me (4 years with palm and no experience with anything else) to get use to. Then the WM5 update a few months ago made it almost as user friendly as POS, but your right palm can launch an app 2X faster than WM.
    Palm is faster and the treo 700p is very very easy to use one handed. My friend actually forgot his stylus at home for a week, but he didn't even need it.

Other than that:
    • Docs2Go 8 >>> word mobile, excel mobile, powerpoint mobile
    • SMS on treo >>> any other phone on the market (sorry but it's true)
    • Verichat(hacked of course) or Causerie on the treo >>> any of the IM offerings on WM5 (including agile messenger or their version of verichat)
    • blazer 4.5 on EVDO >>> PocketIE on 6700 (or even Opera IMHO)
    • PIM functionality of Palm (easier, quicker, better) >>> PIM functionality of WM5
    • 4GB SD cards on the Treo >> 2GB MiniSD cards on the 6700
    • Streaming TV, picturemail, video mail included on treo > not on 6700
    • 320x320 display >>> 240x320 display
    • treo's screen is easily read in sunlight>>> 6700's is not
    • treo has more solid feel to it >> 6700 felt cheap to me
    • treo has a better, larger standard battery >>> 6700 batteries are smaller and more expensive
    • backlit keyboard is better on treo >>> 6700's blue backlight makes it so you can't read the red symbols
    • treo's silencer switch at the top (quick and easy) >>>> anything else in the phone industry
    • Versamail (even with it's issues) >>>>> Pocket Outlook
    • Dir Assist >>>> something not even available for 6700
      plus there's a plethora of palm os applications out there, much more than WM5.

*(a '>' signifies better than, or greater than)
    Did I miss anything?
    I got the 700 10 days ago. I had the 6700 sprint for 6 months. I loved the data part. miss the wifi. miss the today screen. my big problem was missing calls. long delay on voicemail notification. I had 4 different units through service and repair. thay all did the same thing.

at first I didn't like the treo, but after just 10 days I think I'm going to keep it. I wasn't going to sell my 6700 untill my 14 day return deal was up but I think were ready. if you go to treo site you'll get treo ps the best. if 6700 site then there the best. all I know is what works for me is the treo.
    maybe to help you out... ask your self not what you like the best but what you dislike the most. its not the being total satisfied with your device thing for me as the " this is driving me mad" thing. there's lots of software to make it do morem but little to fix bugs like my missed call thing. good luck
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc
    ........ ask your self not what you like the best but what you dislike the most. its not the being total satisfied with your device thing for me as the " this is driving me mad............ fix bugs like my missed call thing......
    The 700p resets drive me crazy and although I have always had no trouble getting to the bottom of those kinds of problems........ I don't want to spend the time.

The joystick on the 6700 drive me mad!!! The 39 megs of RAM on the 6700 drives me mad!!! I need 50 at least.

Waiting while the 700p says "connecting to vision" sux, waiting for a page download sux, a reset sux.

Many 6700 users complained of missed calls but we found out we could change the slot cycle index from polling the tower every 3.5 seconds to poll every second with no noticble battery drain and no missed calls.

Geezzz,,,,, I guess I could always buy a 700p later if I regret it. They'd be cheaper and more stable later......
  8.    #8  
    I did ask for users opinions and it would be silly of me to argue with you about your opinions since an opinion is personal. But in the quest to make a good decision I would like to comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    Docs2Go 8 >>> word mobile, excel mobile, powerpoint mobile
    I'm not sure what the difference is, they seem the same to me. Could you tell me? I use them a little now but its probable I,ll be using them a great deal in the following symesters.
    ]blazer 4.5 on EVDO >>> PocketIE on 6700 (or even Opera IMHO)
    I like blazer for javascript but PIE as IE6 gets me on to sites that Blazer can't.
    320x320 display >>> 240x320 display
    They look the same to me.
    backlit keyboard is better on treo >>> 6700's blue backlight makes it so you can't read the red symbols
    Owwww!!!! This is a major issue,,,,, You can only see the 6700 KB in broad daylight!!!
    treo's silencer switch at the top (quick and easy) >>>> anything else in the phone industry
    Yes,,,, I wish the 6700 had the same switch.
    Dir Assist >>>> something not even available for 6700
    The google loocal midlet is better than DA IMHO
    This is tuff......
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr
    The google loocal midlet is better than DA IMHO
    This is tuff......
    plus DA is mostly based on this site: mobile.yp.com, it's the same thing.

If you're really hard up for running Palm apps, just rung Style Tap, the Palm emulator. I just beamed all my .prcs over to my 6700, works like a charm. I even installed DA which will route through IE. Kind of neat. (uninstalled it though as I found WM alternatives that worked much better)

also, it really depends on what you need it for. if you want VOIP (Skype, Peerme) and better streaming TV (Slingbox) then the 6700 is nice. No plans to use those services then obviously the Treo would be fine.

Personally, I'm waiting at least 6 months to consider the 700P (over the 650/6700) just because of the stability.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Or if you want the best of both worlds, then you could go with the 700w and if you are with sprint, they should be releasing it in september (according to the store by me)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381
    Or if you want the best of both worlds, then you could go with the 700w and if you are with sprint, they should be releasing it in september (according to the store by me)
    If the 700W just had more memory...! The OP states the 6700 is already not enough, so the 700W would be a step down.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    ah, good point.
    notjpr,

I guess I could give you my 2 cents worth. I got ride of my 6700 last week, and purchased a 700p.

I have said in recent posts, Iím far from an electronic guru, but I will say this. My 700p works flawlessly compared to my 6700.

I didnít like how slow the windows operating system is. The display was very hard to view with any amount of sunlight. Impossible to use with one hand. Locking up continually all the time. A pain in the *** having to slide the phone open to access the key pad. I didnít think it would be, but after using it, I found out it was.

I have not loaded any third party programs on the phone, and are only using what came installed from the factory, and have not had one lock-up yet. Cellular phone works great, internet works great EVDO. Text messaging works great, and e-mail system works great.

Obviously to each their own, and if you feel more comfortable using the 6700, I hope you enjoy it. Iíll keep my 700p for sure.

Matt
    But something the OP may not be aware of, is that you can run pretty much everything from an sd card in windows mobile......except maybe today plugins.
  15.    #15  
    Ya, the 700w would be the perfect solution,,,,,, but with what??? 11 megs of actual usable internal for program storage...... What a flop............. Of course if your not a 3rd party app-oholic then the 700w is a fine choice
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr
    Ya, the 700w would be the perfect solution,,,,,, but with what??? 11 megs of actual usable internal for program storage...... What a flop............. Of course if your not a 3rd party app-oholic then the 700w is a fine choice
    I actually used the 700w on Verizon (a.k.a. The Devil), and it has about 40 megs of storage. The 11 megs is program memory, for running programs, which still is not alot. I absolutely loved the phone though and would still have it if verizons data wasn't $45.00 a month, but as soon as it comes to sprint I will be all over it!
    The 6700 would compete better if it had a real battery, useable earpiece, better LCD with higher resolution and better outdoor viewing, threaded SMS and a better keyboard (better key spacing and backlighting.)

Until then, it's got WM5 and WiFi and all of the advantages/disadvantages that come along with them.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381
    I actually used the 700w on Verizon (a.k.a. The Devil), and it has about 40 megs of storage. The 11 megs is program memory, for running programs, which still is not alot. I absolutely loved the phone though and would still have it if verizons data wasn't $45.00 a month, but as soon as it comes to sprint I will be all over it!
    Owwww,,,,,, I checked one out when they first arrived at Verizon,,,,, I thought I knew what I was looking at..... Thanks for the info. That's good to know.
    You are welcome.
    you should stay with both and get a shared plan minute. I really thinking about that my self. then u really get the best of both worlds.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast