Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr
    I did ask for users opinions and it would be silly of me to argue with you about your opinions since an opinion is personal. But in the quest to make a good decision I would like to comment.
    I'm not sure what the difference is, they seem the same to me. Could you tell me? I use them a little now but its probable I,ll be using them a great deal in the following symesters.
    Re: Docs2Go 8. First off, it reads PDFs natively. Second, it seems to work with native word and other office files quicker than pocket word, excel, powerpoint. They're close, but I just like docs2go better. Plus it's nice that it searches and lists all the documents on your device in one place for you.
    I like blazer for javascript but PIE as IE6 gets me on to sites that Blazer can't.
    That may be true, but I was referring to more of the speed and ease of use of blazer versus PocketIE. Of course you have to ask yourself if you need to get on those sites on your phone. Also, in my experience, the new blazer has been faster at rendering pages than pocketIE.

They look the same to me.
    Re: 320x320 versus 240x320
    That may be the case, however, look at both in sunlight and let me know which one you can read. Also, let me know which one has a better backlight and which one is more vivid. I also forgot to mention here that I love how you can dim the backlight (option + menu on the 700p). It'd perfect for dark nights when you don't want your phone to blind you.
    Owwww!!!! This is a major issue,,,,, You can only see the 6700 KB in broad daylight!!!
    So the 6700's keyboard can only be seen in broad daylight, but the screen can't be read easily in the sun? Hehe...I've been through 3 6700's, all the same except for the one with the white backlight, which was actually good, but still not as easy to read as the treo.
    Yes,,,, I wish the 6700 had the same switch.
    Palm must have a patent or something on it because I'm pretty surprised more phones don't have a similar switch.
    The google loocal midlet is better than DA IMHO
    This is tuff......
    That might be your opinion, but you can also run google local on the treo if you want. Personally, I hated going into java and setting it all up on the 6700 just to get google local, plus the buttons don't work right and you have to mash your finger to the screen sometimes. DA, however, is a native app for the Palm. It's quick and easy. In the event that I don't find something in it, I'll go to google through the web browser or go through the "Genius" app.
    I had a 6700 for two days before I exchanged it for a 700p. Before the 6700 I had a 700w. I ended up keeping the 700p, although at first I wasn't too crazy about the PalmOS... Now, however, I think it's great!

I need a great phone, one handed operation, and an awesome PDA to keep me organized and on top of things -- I DO NOT need a handheld PC. For stuff that I need a computer for, I'll just tether my Mac to the 700p and use that much more comfortably.

The 6700 seemed like a good idea in theory, but in practice it fell short. The phone was awful -- impossible to hear, and forget using it one-handed. Unless you like dialing by touching the screen and getting your fingerprints all over it, plan on sliding out the keyboard at least 20-30 times each day. This is a pain in the ****! Not only that, but there is no numeric keypad on the keyboard, and the backlighting is terrible -- the blue is inconsistent and some keys are dark, and the alt/option functions aren't even illuminated! The little thumb navigator was also uncomfortable and twitchy compared to the Palm's 5-way.

From a "I just want it to work and get stuff done" usability standpoint, the 700p wins. From a techno gadget "wow cool" factor, the 6700 wins. Pick your preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    and forget using it one-handed. Unless you like dialing by touching the screen and getting your fingerprints all over it, plan on sliding out the keyboard at least 20-30 times each day. This is a pain in the ****!
    Just fyi (not that it matters for you, but for others), there is a free tiny app to dial one-handed on the 6700 that uses the joystick, not your thumb: found here

http://www.trianglepowers.com/ppc670.../onehand02.jpg

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The 6700 is a great min computer, a Treo is a good phone/pda/messaging device. I really liked the 6700, and the amount it could do. I just realized what I needed a smartphone for and the Treo is the king when it comes to this.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    I also forgot to mention here that I love how you can dim the backlight (option + menu on the 700p). It'd perfect for dark nights when you don't want your phone to blind you.
    At the risk of getting us off-topic, I just tried this and that's one weird undocumented feature. At first, I figured it was just automatically repositioning the brightness level, but it's actually giving you an entirely different range of brightness levels. If you have your Treo on the normal super-bright mode and turn your slider all the way down to the lowest level that still has the backlight on, you can then use this feature (option-menu) and get the brightness even lower (on a side-note I think the 650's lowest brightness level is normally lower than the 700p's, but this may make them equivalent).

Like I said, though, this is weird because I don't think I like how this works. I'd prefer that this quick dim mode actually did move the slider rather than put it into an all-new brightness mode, because I could imagine forgetting I had it in this mode and then getting frustrated when I moved the slider to max and didn't get as much brightness as I wanted.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Here's the usefulness of this feature: if you normally keep the slider at midway or less for normal use, double it and then dim to half with option+menu. This will dim to your normal usage level, but when you go outside or are in the bright sun, you can quickly option+menu to brighten up the display so you can see, then dim it back down quickly to your normal level when you are out of the bright area.

I think using it in that respect makes a lot of sense, and saves time from having to go back to the brightness slider.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Treo 700p has Chatter and agendus. Nothing on WM matches this!!!! Also, I found the 6700 battery life to be very poor and I need a device that will last 1 entire day.

Robe
    6700's battery is a measely 1300maH while the Treo's is 1800maH and you can get an optional 2400maH battery from Seidio for the Treo.

I think the Treo has it all over the 6700 unless you are a techno geek and have to run Windows on your phone. Oh but wait, it's not even a good phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by elbombillo2
    you should stay with both and get a shared plan minute. I really thinking about that my self. then u really get the best of both worlds.

My friend why did you get banded, I think we are a open forum!
  10.    #30  
    The 6700 is a good phone. With the WM5 updated the smart dialer addition made the 6700 as good as any PDA/phone. Dialing out and contact lookup are now simple.

No PDA/phone battery has enough juice. I carry a standard battery, extra capacity battery and a charger that charges the phone and spare battery at the same time. The difference is with the treo you have to duct tape the power connectors together to ensure a connection.

Both are solid well made devices.

Its impossible to tell the difference in the resolutions but the treo is brighter.

The back lighting on the Treo KB beats the heck out of the 6700.

The Dpad is leaps and bounds better than the joystick. Constantly sliding out the KB sux,

Ahhhhhhhh...........

I guess the problems I have with the 6700 I can't fix.....The problems with the treo I can fix.....I'll get use to waiting on Blazer. The 700p is d@med good looking
    just like me And I love the heck out of QuickCheck. ......

Cr@p...... I'm keeping it....

Thanks for the info and the sounding board.
    Congratulations on your decision!
  12.    #32  
    Well I followed the advice of another user and set the versamail and addit conduit to do nothing then I hard reset and did a selective restore, and the device is totally stable and running fast.

I had installed and deleted a ton of old apps in the last month,,, many of them were incompatible.

Thanks.
    I think the Treo has it all over the 6700 unless you are a techno geek and have to run Windows on your phone. Oh but wait, it's not even a good phone...
    I'm a techno geek and love the 700p. I'm constantly showing it to friends (even those running WM5 phones) and their eyes pop out and go "holy crap, you can do that on a Palm?!?"

Besides, true technogeeks shun M$ anyways....but that's another topic entirely. There's just really nothing I've ever seen on WM5 that can't be done on a palm (especially the 700p with huge heap size - goodbye UDMH - and streaming capability) and in most cases Palm does it better and faster, with a fraction of the memory required. But that's just my opinion.[/rant]
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755

Ouch. Well I've had the 6700 as well and I do have to agree that the phone part was not that great. I was scared to try out another pda but had to pick up the 700p and now I'm happy because the call quality is great!
    i finally dumped my 6700 becuase of:
    the horrible battery life
    slide out KB, pain in the **** to do anything involving input
    brick look and feel
    resolution of screen finally got to me
    lack of good programs i use all the time (networking and remote access programs are a joke on WM)

sprint pitching a good deal certianly helped too.
  16.    #36  
    I've seen 3 posts in the last 3 days slamming the 6700's phone application. What makes the 700p's phone app so much better?

I press the phone button on the 6700 and I get a screen with a dial pad, speed dial button, call history button, menu for options and contact lookup (although don't use the contact button unless the Kb is out, use the T9 look up from the dial pad screen, its easy to use). All this is similar to the 700p.

I dial by T9 on the 6700 for contact look up, which means I press only a few buttons on the scree to find the entry I want just like the 700p.

When I find my contact I joystick left or right to get the number I want, ie home, work etc. On the 700p you 5way up or down to do this. Same number of button presses, same everything.

On the 6700 I press the joystick in too dial or tap and hold the contact to pull up all the contact information, this it the only time I can see the 700p as being more efficient, since on the 700p you simply press the center of the 5way.

The set up, the menu, the options, the call clarity, everything is the same.

Don't get me wrong, even though half the deciding factors hinge on personal preference, the 700p is the best device, but what is the deal??? Did these complainers not do the Wm5 ROM update??? Did they not spend time to understand how the phone works???
    bottom line is i have done more on my 700p in the past week than i did in the previous 5 weeks on my 6700. alot of it has to do with the KB being exposed, it just makes everything easier. the 6700 was frustrating everytime i had to grab with both hands, rotate, slide, type, close, rotate and continue. it is not efficient if you just want to enter a couple of keys. i know you can use the on screen KB, but you still have to get the stylus out. the 700p is way more efficient for what i do and how much i do it!
    Don't get me wrong, even though half the deciding factors hinge on personal preference, the 700p is the best device, but what is the deal??? Did these complainers not do the Wm5 ROM update??? Did they not spend time to understand how the phone works???
    I think that is certainly part of the equation here. Former Treo owners don't make good users of the 6700 since they are so hooked on the Palm interface, so everything is a direct comparison to a Treo. c'est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula
    There's just really nothing I've ever seen on WM5 that can't be done on a palm (especially the 700p with huge heap size - goodbye UDMH - and streaming capability) and in most cases Palm does it better and faster, with a fraction of the memory required.
    let me help and name a few:
    • Voice over BT dialing
    • Free A2DP hack
    • VOIP: Skype/Peerme, etc.
    • Slingbox
    • NNTP access
    • Tabbed browsing, Flash support, Java (Netfront/Opera)
    • P2P: Bittorrent, Gnutella
    • Full Palm emulation (Style Tap)
    • Use phone as a real webcam (CoolCamera)
    • Real multi tasking (no skipping audio)
    • WifiTunes (iTunes/Rendezvous interface)
    • WiFi

Not saying the 6700 is better (or that anyone should like it/love it/respect it,etc) but there are a couple of things that it can do that Palm can't and that list will probably grow.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/30/2006 at 11:19 AM.

The big thing on the Treos is the one-handed usage and the battery life. Neither of which the 6700 will EVER be able to match.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    The big thing on the Treos is the one-handed usage and the battery life. Neither of which the 6700 will EVER be able to match.
    You need to qualify that statement:

out of the box, definitely this is true.

with the free tweaks out there and putting in the same size battery (e.g. 2400 mah in both; a 2800 will outlast a Treo), it's the same. Besides typing, I do eveything (and I mean everything, including dialing new numbers) one-handed w/out ever touching the screen--it's not too hard and no more steps than on a Treo.

Yes, the bigger battery makes the 6700 bulkier (subjective) but that's a different critique in saying they can't match in battery life (objective).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast