Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I have presently have unlimited internet access and believe Sprint calls that Power Vision.

I currently have a Treo 650 and thinking of upgrading to a 700P.

Questions:

1. Can I use the 650 as a modem with my laptop at no additional charge from Sprint. If so, how?

2. Can I use the 700p as a modem with my laptop at no additional charge from Sprint. If so, how?

3. Is Sprint able to see that use (with either phone) and if so, do they care?

4. Is it better/easier/faster to use a USB cable over Bluetooth?

I appreciate your help and suggestions.
    Thanks,

JJ623
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    1. Yes. Search the forums for PDANet or USB Modem.
    2. See #1
    3. You should be okay unless you're using it nonstop. In that case, Sprint reserves the right to pull the plug.
    4. It depends on your needs. With USB, you can use the internet while the phone is being charged. With Bluetooth, there's no cable and therefore there's less clutter.

I hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ623
    1. Can I use the 650 as a modem with my laptop at no additional charge from Sprint. If so, how?
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    1. Yes. Search the forums for PDANet or USB Modem.
    Since the next-to-last ROM update or whatever it's called, PDANet is no longer necessary to use your Treo 650 as a modem for your computer.
    With excessive use, this could possibly result in additional charges, but I don't know anyone, personally, who's used it enough for Sprint to notice/speak up.

2. Can I use the 700p as a modem with my laptop at no additional charge from Sprint. If so, how?
    2. See #1
    I don't have a 700p, but everything I've read suggests that it does NOT have the ability to... *Nevermind*
    I just double-checked and see that PDANet's available for the 700p.

3. Is Sprint able to see that use (with either phone) and if so, do they care?
    3. You should be okay unless you're using it nonstop. In that case, Sprint reserves the right to pull the plug.
    S'what I hear, too.

4. Is it better/easier/faster to use a USB cable over Bluetooth?
    4. It depends on your needs. With USB, you can use the internet while the phone is being charged. With Bluetooth, there's no cable and therefore there's less clutter.
    Are you sure that with USB, you can use the internet while the phone is being charged?

I know there are after-market cables which allow the phone to get juice from the computer via usb, but in my experience, the cable that comes with the Treo 650 does not.

That's why it's got two pieces - one for Hotsync'g and one to plug into the wall for power.

Keep in-mind, though, that I got mine in January of 2005. They may have tweaked some things since then (like the SIM card slot).
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I hear that you will get higher speeds with the USB cable. True???
    So, with the 650 I don't need any hacks or programs if I have that Palm update???
    If I go with the 700p what is the absolute minimum service that I will need from Sprint to use the USB or BT method.

Thanks!
    Thanks,

JJ623
    1st, the stock cable will also charge the Treo, but at a VERY S-L-O-W speed (took a whole night to charge from 30% to full). I believe it's called trickle charge (the current is too low, ~100 mA? that the LCD color won't even change).

2nd, with 650 you should be able to connect as modem for free. USB will be a lot faster (well, at least on paper) because BT1.1 has a pretty low speed cap. With 700p, I heard that Sprint can tell whether you are using its browser or DUN and they want additional $25 for something they called PAM (PC tethering). Although you should be able to find a hack to this
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Speaking from experience w/ a 650 but only word of mouth w/ 700, hchai is exactly right. Most of the responses in general are correct, except for the following clarifications:
    - Sprint can tell you're tethered on a 700 (at least when connected to EvDO) unless you use a hack found on this board that overrides the tethered-mode flag. No way for them to tell w/ 650 except for data volume, which you can easily fight.
    - USB is a bit faster than BT.
    - Yes, you can simulataneously charge and thether via USB.
    - [edit] PowerVision is not synonymous with unlimited data. PowerVision is Sprint's term for EvDO access. You can have unlimited data on either PowerVision (EvDO) or plain old PCSVision (1xRTT). So there's no point in having PowerVision on a 650 since it's not EvDO-capable. Not sure if it's possible to get unlimited PCSVision on a 700p; that would largely defeat the purpose of having a 700p for those in EvDO areas.
    Last edited by kvcobra; 06/23/2006 at 05:42 PM.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    ... as an only partially-applicable reply, let me say, I'm using PDANet right now traveling down the highway (my seniorita is driving), and it works quite well... never an extra charge from Sprint while using my 650 as a modem for my laptop. Also, I'm using a Seidio usb cable, and it does, in fact, keep the phone charged... and, in spite of the earlier post, it does change the color of the phone's LED... I don't know about the other guys on here, but PDANet is much easier to get to work right with DUN... I never did get the 650 to do it right after that update... I think PDANet is worth the money, since it's less hassle.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enchilada88
    ... I don't know about the other guys on here, but PDANet is much easier to get to work right with DUN... I never did get the 650 to do it right after that update... I think PDANet is worth the money, since it's less hassle.
    Concur. I had the built-in DUN functionality working fine w/ Sprint 1.08 and DrWowe's hack, but once I upgraded to 1.12 (which supposedly enabled DUN), I couldn't get it to work for the life of me. PDANet's price is a little steep, but it's foolproof IMO and well worth it to stop doing this with 1.12:
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Concur. I had the built-in DUN functionality working fine w/ Sprint 1.08 and DrWowe's hack, but once I upgraded to 1.12 (which supposedly enabled DUN), I couldn't get it to work for the life of me. PDANet's price is a little steep, but it's foolproof IMO and well worth it to stop doing this with 1.12:
    For what it's worth, I had similar problems (although I'm not familiar with that particular hack), at one time.

But I always wanted to get the DUN'g to work, just because I thought it was ridiculous that I'd have to add Hotsyc software to the p.c. beforehand. I mean, it was okay for computers that I use regularly, for the most part, but I didn't want to be limited to those.

Later, I realized that (on at least one of my laptops) DUN is a blanket term that does not specifically state which device is the internet medium and which is benefiting from the other device's connection. When I set up Bluetooth on one of the laptops, I didn't realize it was installing more than one type of DUN option. With both installed, whenever I'd tell it to initiate DUN, it'd default to trying to share my laptop's connection with my phone.

That never worked.

After I realized it had more than one type of DUN option installed, at the same time, and that it defaulted to the one, I uninstalled Bluetooth, then reinstalled it without that the DUN option I didn't want (i.e. the one where the computers shares its connection).

After that, DUN was a breeze. Sometimes it still requires reboots n whatnot, but it's nowhere near the headache that it used to be.

Now that you've got me thinking about this, I guess this is another strike against the 700p. I don't want to 1) have to pay for another version of PdaNet or 2) be limited to DUN'g with computers I've already Hotsync'd with, in the past.

I want full DUN freedom, **********!
    I have presently have unlimited internet access and believe Sprint calls that Power Vision.
    To my recolelction:

650 uses Vision
    750 uses PowerVision and they can detect when you using EVDO

Doa title search on "Fine Print" to see what Sprint says about such usage.