Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    is the data card backup up automatically when you hotsync? i mean the actual programs on there, not just the video and pics.

thanks.
    No. I learned that the painfully hard way.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    is there a way to set that up?
    Yes there is with backupbuddy

http://www.bluenomad.com/

I have it working well with the 700 and it has saved me on more than one occasion.
    btw, what I have done so far is to backup my SD card to my hd by using card reader. I may want to get Card export II to make it easier. I figure SD only holds software no data is held there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    Yes there is with backupbuddy

http://www.bluenomad.com/

I have it working well with the 700 and it has saved me on more than one occasion.
    Jayzee,

I think he meant SDCard backup. I am curious how you had do many SD Card failures to warrant saving you? Am I misinterpreting?

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit2
    btw, what I have done so far is to backup my SD card to my hd by using card reader. I may want to get Card export II to make it easier. I figure SD only holds software no data is held there.
    I vote for this method for sure!

BackupBuddy DOES backup the SD card, BUT it does not back up all the files and their associations. Let me give you an example:

About one year ago I used BackupBuddy religiously to backup my card and my Palm. I had a card failure and had to replace the card. I found that I could not restore directly to the card like you would a HotSync. It appears to not be able to do a restore to a SD card, or at least I did not know how to do this. Using the default location of the backup file, dragging and dropping the backup of the card from BackupBuddy did NOT result in a pristine card. For this reason I will NOT rely on it to backup my SD card ever again but wil ALWAYS rely on it to run in the usual day to day hotsync.

When I found the location of the backup file that was made and did a drag and drop, I found that none of the shortcuts to files on the card worked any longer AND I had to re-enter all the serial numbers from the mass of SkyScape texts that I have on my card and for many of the software programs. In the context of backing up, it does do that and does it well for data.

Also the option for backup of the SD card takes a VERY, VERY long time indeed. To borrow from an old English saying, " I am not sure the juice is worth the squeeze."

For me, the only safe card backup is the one you do yourself. Incidentally, there is a free program on the T700 install disk called Palm File Transfer that will allow for a really nice backup to a Hard Disk. I have not played with it much but will do so when I have some time.

These are some options for you to use. I hope they are helpful.

Regards,

Jim
    A simple copy of the card to a folder on the hard drive (using a card reader) works well.

I've also heard good comments about this program: www.goodsync.com.

I think it's from the same folks who created RoboForm.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    i think i will try the palm file transfer and report back.
    I just tried NvBackup and it worked great!
    For the best piece of mind, use BackupBuddy or the like for backing up to another computer and BackupManager or the like to make a backup of the device to your SD card. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie
    I just tried NvBackup and it worked great!
    NVBackup works like BackupBuddy, the question is backup of data card (SD).

and yes I do use NVBackup for daily backup...but for my SD I use card reader for now....
    I have a 700p from Verizon and used NVBackup 1.12 to create a backup with no problem. I later selected the backup within NVBackup and deleted it ... the progress bar crawled along but near the end of the delete a message about the SD card being corrupt popped up. No big deal since I didn't have anything on it so I just reformatted. And I removed NVBackup. Until a new rev comes out with official support (as official as open source freebies get) I'll hold off.
    You might want to check this thread out http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112881
    The NVBackup developer comments on the new version only being tested with a backup, not restore, on a 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit2
    NVBackup works like BackupBuddy, the question is backup of data card (SD).

and yes I do use NVBackup for daily backup...but for my SD I use card reader for now....
    Actually NV Backup works VERY DIFFERENT than Backup Buddy. BackUp Buddy, Resco Backup and BackUPMan all acceess and backup via the dBCache but this is not the actual Database folder on NVFS. PALM_DM folder on the BuiltIn drive is the actuall NVFS storage. Palm blocks the direct access to this folder, but with some tricks of software such as NV Backup has done, one can read these files.

Palm offers clasic database API. This access goes via DbCache. This is what RBackup and practically all other apps use.

NVBackup accesses PALM_DM folder bypassing thus DbCache. It appears to work for some but not others and there are problems reported and successes but:

- Access is undocumented, i.e. risky.
    - It's not very fast either.
    - There is no Verify or Differences

I am worried about using this scheme.

Alexander, the developer, has implemented a novel method concerning switching off the notifications during backup. He uses a quite clever procedure, but there are probs as always. Using this trick would not prevent bkg app crashes, but would at least postpone them after backup completes. That's a gain, too. The new version of Resco Backup utilizes that latter format with success.

Much of this information is from Jan at Resco forums but is different than you stated here. NV Backup is different to be sure in many ways. A new version would be nice.

Regards,

Jim