Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I'm a student that's been using my new Sprint 700p for a couple of weeks now and love it! This is my first smartphone.

But holy mother, the software is expensive!!!!!! How much has everyone spent on all their programs? Just curious.

Like, I would love to get VolumeCare but the thought of shelling out over 10 bucks is a little ridiculous. There really needs to be more freeware and the notion that it's only the corporate world that uses smartphones is a little presumptuous.

It's just frustrating because a growing segment of their user base is students and we just don't have the same type of access as everyone else. Maybe, it's just me.
    Last edited by crownzeal; 06/23/2006 at 04:03 AM.
    you gotta pay to play
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    you gotta pay to play
    See, that's what I mean. I have a computer at home and search out alternative programs/options whenever they're available. I'm frugal.

The 700p is also a little computer essentially and developers are just making these all fee based. I'm just questioning why that's the case.
    I agree... I wish there was more freeware for the Palm platform.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    here here
    the hardware is useless without the software
    and the software is useless without the data.

Though you are buying the phone hardware, you
    are also paying for the preloaded software.
    You also need to take into consideration that many of us aren't buying all these programs at once because this isn't our first Treo. I started buying slowly from when I got my 600 to my 650 to my 700p. I am always on the lookout for a freeware alternative when possible.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    You also need to take into consideration that many of us aren't buying all these programs at once because this isn't our first Treo. I started buying slowly from when I got my 600 to my 650 to my 700p. I am always on the lookout for a freeware alternative when possible.
    Ditto

I have been buying PalmOS software since 1996.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crownzeal
    There really needs to be more freeware and the notion that it's only the corporate world that uses smartphones is a little presumptuous.
    Have you been to http://www.freewarepalm.com/ or
    www.PalmOpenSource.com or
    www.freeware-palm.com
    and here is someones list of must have freeware
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...-applications/

You can find freeware versions of many useful apps there. Most are not Treo specific, but most will work with it.
    When you buy a computer, it's seldom ready to go "out of the box"! You're often going to add (and pay for, even if you have it bundled in) things like Microsoft Office, Quicken, Adobe Photoshop, Virus protection, backup programs and a slew of others. Why should a computer/phone work any differently.

Sure, I love freeware apps and use as many as I can, I make contributions if I use donationware, but many programs you have to buy to get the added functionality. To say that all this stuff should be built into the phone at the start is like saying Microsoft should build all those programs into Windows so you dont have to buy any more software. Imagine THAT uproar!

This is my 5th smartphone and I've also been building software for a few years. I've discarded apps that don't apply anymore, upgraded others that are indispensible and will buy new ones as my needs and hardware dictate.

it's often a matter of where you want to put your money. As a student, you have options that way. Party on Friday, or buy that new book. A weekend at the lake with the gang, or McDonalds at home and a backup program for your Treo. It comes down to priorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedeas
    When you buy a computer, it's seldom ready to go "out of the box"! You're often going to add (and pay for, even if you have it bundled in) things like Microsoft Office, Quicken, Adobe Photoshop, Virus protection, backup programs and a slew of others.
    Unless you buy a mac
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meinken
    Have you been to http://www.freewarepalm.com/ or
    www.PalmOpenSource.com or
    www.freeware-palm.com
    and here is someones list of must have freeware
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...-applications/

You can find freeware versions of many useful apps there. Most are not Treo specific, but most will work with it.
    Oh, thank you for the links! I'll definitely check them out today to see what's available as freeware.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Unless you buy a mac
    And I have a Mac! Thank God.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=stroths]You also need to take into consideration that many of us aren't buying all these programs at once because this isn't our first Treo.QUOTE]

Exactly.

I basically buy one app at a time, over time.

(And there is no way I want to wreck my mood today by adding it up and finding out what it has cost me over the years....!@)
    Quote Originally Posted by crownzeal
    And I have a Mac! Thank God.
    I take it the Mac and the very latest smartphone on the market were given to you as gifts. otherwise, it's difficult to reconcile the concern about software costs.

As others have said, though, the software costs tend to be incremental. You purchase things as you find a need. The good news is, you can use forums like TC to see what software is really worth having. Over the years, we have scrutinized a large number of programs (free, share, fee, you name it).
    im just wondering why there isn't a better open sourcd developer base, i use open office (free), gaim (free), firefox (free) thunderbird (free) vlc (free), songbird....the list goes on

youcan have a fully functioning machine for free, case in point, linux
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I thought this Treo come with some really great apps. PIM, VersaMail, Solitaire, PTunes, OnDemand, SMS, and Docs2go.

Some Freeware to consider:
    FileZ - File manager
    Toccar - IM client
    Kmap - like Google maps
    Directory Assistant - 411, directions
    PalmVNC – Remote Desktop
    NVbackup – back up treo to SD card
    DiddleBug – BugMe alternative
    Avantgo – newsreader
    Stopwatch II – Timer
    Oprea – alternative web browser
    open chess – game
    Palm File Browser – alternative to card-export

Sorry I am not sure about an alternative to Volume Care – but I bought that for the 650 and felt is was very worth the price, I haven’t felt the need to install it on my 700 yet.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Unless you buy a mac
    Check out the new commercial.. It's about that.
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/
    It's the one titled "Out of the Box"

I'm a Windows and Linux person, but I still find the Mac commercials amusing.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I have freeware on my Treo, but also stuff that I paid for. Heck, I paid $400 for the 700P, why would I be ruffled about paying $10 for a very useful program. Freeware is great, but I don't expect to get all or even most of my programs free. Think about it this way. Do you ever expect to see free hardware available at stores (or wherever)? Are you angree that more of your hardware wasn't free? Just because software isn't physical, doesn't mean there wasn't a cost involved in making it. It's the programmers time, energy, and even the software he uses to develop. So even when software is free, I still sometimes will donate to the programmer if I get a lot of use out of it. It seems only fair. Freeware is great and the open source movement is great, but compared to most PC programs, Palm apps are really cheap!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I have over 40 apps and I have spent a total of maybe $10 (yes I am not missing any zeros). I acquired $100 worth of apps with that sprint promotion with the 650, helped a couple of developers and got teir apps for free, and the rest is freeware.
    Treoing & Loving it
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast