Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    IMO, all this lecturing about kids being spoiled is off-topic, unnecessary, and doesn't prove anything
    Thank you, I totally agree. I graduated a couple years ago. In fact, I got my first Treo (the 300) while I was still there. I still remember how hard it was to drop 20 dollars for Treo300SMS.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec

These kids are poorly prepared for how the real world works and managing their lives.
    Not always true. I think it depends on how a person is brought up.I'm 22, and yes, I have a Treo. (Haha that sounds like its from an AA meeting or something...."Hi, I'm Paula, and I have a Treo....")

Its a 600 that I saved up for and got off of ebay used and I love it. Its incredibly helpful with managing my life -- it keeps my work schedule, contacts, reminders to take my medicine, etc, with me at all times.

Anyways, my parents raised my sister and I to pretty much fend for ourselves. They were very involved in our lives when we needed it, but for the most part, if we could do it ourselves (aka, get a snack or something) we were expected to do it. I moved out when I was 19 and have lived with my fiance ever since, and I think I have a perfectly good handle on how the "real world" works.

Just my two cents. Love you all!
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    Ya'll seem to be making the assumption that he's a student who wanted a smartphone just because it was a smartphone. How do you know he's not using it for school? How do you know he's not using it to help manage his daily activities better? IMO, all this lecturing about kids being spoiled is off-topic, unnecessary, and doesn't prove anything.
    Thank you!

Wow, how this skewed to me having a sense of "entitlement" is flabbergasting, to say the least. Let me clarify a couple of things. First, I'm a college senior. Second, my parents gave me the PDA as a gift. The Mac I purchased with my own money.

The fact of the matter is, most students need a laptop or PDA in order to do well in school these days. Can you get a 4.0 without one? Absolutely. But the reality is, if you're not hooked up technologically, you're screwed. This PDA manages my entire life and yes, it's a necessity!

Yes, I'm lucky. My family is filled with tech rats and the idea that any of us would actually use a Franklin Covey is borderline lewd.

It's no wonder that many in my generation find a disconnect with older ones. Having access to technology doesn't necessarily mean that you're entitled. It's just the world that we live in now.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123