Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Ditto

I have been buying PalmOS software since 1996.

Cheers, Perry.
    Same here. I have some apps from that far back still on my 700p.
    Apple iPhone, Apple Bluetooth
    The nice thing about the palmos being stuck in a rut for years upon years is that all my old software from my Treo 180 more or less works! :-)
    I have 16 paid apps on my 700p, which I started buying in 1999. Some cost $5; others ran me $60. Usually the more expensive programs include a desktop version, e.g., Bonsai and DayNotez, so I use them on two platforms. Like others have said, if you really need an advanced program, you've got to pay OR find a free version.

That said, see my rant on software/functions that should have been included on the 700p.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=1#post1030175

Quick edit: You know, $60 for an advanced program is not a bad deal. I think Bonsai ran me $38 and the mobile OS version is only $14.
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Palm V > Vx > Clie Peg T615C > T3 > Clie TH55 > T3 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p & T3
    You can normally find freeware apps that will do what you need. I too have programs from my Palm III loaded on my 700P. Most utility apps I bought make the use of my device just more convenient but not necessary. The 700P has enough bundled software so it's the most usable PDAphone with the POS to date. JMHO.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crownzeal
    How much has everyone spent on all their programs? Just curious.
    I've always been impressed at how much free software there is for PalmOS and how readily available it is. Google 'sudoku palm' or 'video player palm' or 'whatever_you_want palm' and you'll probably find a decent free app near the top of the list. Or check out some of the sites posted earlier in this thread.

That being said I agree that some of the really useful utilities do cost a few bucks. I have no real problem shelling out $5-$10 for apps that really improve my Treo experience and productivity. That too is why I like the Treo platform running PalmOS, because there are so many hard core fans and developers out there writing these nifty apps. I never added one OEM or third party app to my Samsung SCH-8500, but TrackerDog tells me I've got over 130 apps installed on my Treo700p!

But to answer your question... counting all the stuff I've bought and still use through my m515, Treo600, Treo650, and Treo700p (yeah I keep it in a spreadsheet):

$347.98 - Hardware (SD cards, cables, chargers, cases, etc.) total
    $103.75 - Software Games total
    $211.54 - Software Utilities total
    $663.27 - Total Add ons

I too benefited from the Sprint promo for $100 in free software and the Handango Free-App-A-Week giveaway. But I'm also one of those suckers who contributes to shareware authors who develop worthy apps (DirAssist and FlightStatus to name a couple).

ERic
    I live in a mobile home....I am NOT rich..maybe smart. Like others have stated one app here, another there, freeware and judicious selection equals a Treo that does everything I want it to.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    I live in a mobile home
    Do you have something against people who live in mobile home

By the way, it is not called mobile home anymore, it is now called manufactured or modular home.

Sitting here in my fabulous manufactured home park and socializing with Britney Spears' parents......
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Ditto

I have been buying PalmOS software since 1996.

Cheers, Perry.
    Same here..
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    i've also heard of people finding hacks for some programs, but i dont suggest it...i'd be afraid it would fry the treo or something
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    OK, so I see someone talking about VolumeCare for the 700p, does this mean you still cannot hear the phone ring?????

My biggest complaint about my 600 is that I can almost never hear it ring. I now have it set to vibrate and ring.
    Craig M.
    Former Treo600 User
    No Longer Using a Treo, but Checking the Forums for Updates and such!
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot
    OK, so I see someone talking about VolumeCare for the 700p, does this mean you still cannot hear the phone ring?????
    I think most of us have it not so much for the ringer, as for being able to hear via the handset or speakerphone.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    I take a contrarian view and say the kid has a point.

You need to spend $200-$300 to get all the functionality you need. (my definition of functionality).

It's not cheap. And you end up paying a lot for upgrades, etc.

I actually don't think there is that much useful freeware for the Treo (or any Palm device). Even the shareware tends to be sucky.

If you want a decent app, you pay $$$ for it. And it seems Palm apps tend to be pricier than the Windows Mobile counterparts (although companies that cater to both have done some leveling of price.)

Anyway. I'd love for someone to point out the wonderful "free" apps for Palm, because last time I checked, it was a slim selection.
    I've been waiting for someone to say this, and perhpas I am singular in my opinion, but there are certain luxuries, perks and extravagances that are the entitlements of the gainfully employed. I hate to sound like a fuddy-dud, but when I was in school, and there were thirteen years of post-high school education, I was lucky to afford eating in a nice restaurant once in a while. When I wanted luxury items like a piece of stereo equipment, I worked overtime in the job I had in order to pay for room and board. Where is it written that a student these days has to own a $600 phone, arguably devised predominantly for the business class? The problem with youth, as I see it, is that the concept of delayed gratification is completely foreign, and we as parents are partly to blame. My advice to the kid is be glad you somehow procured a 700p and take advantage of the experience and knowledge of what you'll read on these boards to buy software slowly and carefully.
    Strictly as a Treo owner, I can see the OP's point. As a parent, however, I agree with Gasmeister's point.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Quote Originally Posted by crownzeal
    I'm a student that's been using my new Sprint 700p for a couple of weeks now and love it! This is my first smartphone.

But holy mother, the software is expensive!!!!!! How much has everyone spent on all their programs? Just curious.

Like, I would love to get VolumeCare but the thought of shelling out over 10 bucks is a little ridiculous. There really needs to be more freeware and the notion that it's only the corporate world that uses smartphones is a little presumptuous.

It's just frustrating because a growing segment of their user base is students and we just don't have the same type of access as everyone else. Maybe, it's just me.
    You don't say if you are a high school or college student, but in either case, what about a well paying part time job? A lot of kids do minimum wage work. I have a better idea for you. I tutored kids younger than me. When I was in high school, I tutored junior HS kids and in college I tutored HS kids for the SAT. Tutoring usually pays cash and pays a whole lot more than minimum wage. If you know about computers you could help people set up their computers. We live in a capitalist society and I see nothing wrong with developers getting paid to innovate software or for you to earn money tutoring kids ot helping people new to computers to set up their system or troubleshoot their computers. Rather than complain about the system it might be wiser to see how you could make the system work for you.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Gassy was right....

Kids today, by and large, have a sense of entitlement. Parents give kids lots of material things in lieu of time.

These kids never have to learn to manage a budget, or work for anything.

Sorry to be cynical, but I see this day in and day out. Video games, cell phones, PDAs, etc. are all luxuries, but if a kid doesn't have them, they are viewed as deprived.

These kids are poorly prepared for how the real world works and managing their lives.

But oh well, just blame it on the TV...
    So assuming he didn't say he was a student...would your lectures about kids not appreciating things still apply? Ya'll seem to be making the assumption that he's a student who wanted a smartphone just because it was a smartphone. How do you know he's not using it for school? How do you know he's not using it to help manage his daily activities better? IMO, all this lecturing about kids being spoiled is off-topic, unnecessary, and doesn't prove anything. Sure many of today's kids are spoiled by their parents, but does that change the fact that many Treo owners still have to pay money to gain some basic functionality that should already have been included in a $650 device?

The only kids that feel "entitled" to things are the ones that are spoiled. If a kid isn't spoiled, he can understand his parents not getting him the latest and greatest videogames and technology out there. You can't just assume every kid feels their parents owe these things. And believe it or not, some of us do work for the things we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    These kids are poorly prepared for how the real world works and managing their lives.
    The sad thing is .... the real world works in a series of cell phones, PDA's, etc.
    the point isn't the cell phones and pdas in the real world.

the point is their attitude if entitlement, slack work ethic, and weak communication skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    the point isn't the cell phones and pdas in the real world.

the point is their attitude if entitlement, slack work ethic, and weak communication skills.
    And that is a result of what???
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast