1.    #1  
    It's one thing for a company like Natara to build a better ToDo application (try Bonsai), but it's quite another thing when you have to purchase third-party apps to do things the 700p should already do:

1. Card Reader -- use your Palm device as a USB reader: what a novel idea! Palm included this functionality on the T5, but not since then.

2. FileZ -- well, this is a free program, and Palm now offers Files, but, unless I'm using it wrong, you can't access the device itself? Why not just offer FileZ?

3. LEDOff -- I know people gripe about how newer Palm PDAs don't have a charging indicator, but, damn it, I just don't want to see that light at all--I don't want to see the long orange, or the green, or that dastardly blinking green.

4. LudusP -- there shouldn't even be a market for this type of program! Just let me do with my buttons as I please.

5. Expense, Note Pad, etc. -- why Palm dropped these apps from the OS I'll never understand. Thankfully, some clever types at TreoCentral have posted the necessary files (just search). I'm running them both. Note Pad should definitely be included--without Graffiti, I'm more inclined to jot down a short note with Note Pad than I am to use Memo (now if only there'd be some way to sync it).

6. Free reader -- I simply installed PalmReader from my T3; can't see why I should pay for a simple reader (PalmReader was a free app, right? or did I pay for it long ago?).

The reason for this little rant is that I've just added all of these programs to my 700p, and I'm loving it. Thanks to all the programers out there for covering Palm's **** and saving me a lot of aggravation. Thanks. Thanks. Thanks. What I don't get is how Palm could think to put back Voice Memo, but skip everything else.

It needs to be said that I'm put a lot of money into these applications, and I really shouldn't have to.
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Palm V > Vx > Clie Peg T615C > T3 > Clie TH55 > T3 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p & T3
    By the time you add all of that stuff, some of which I have no interest in, you have a device that gets so overloaded with stuff that he wants, you want, I want, and so forth. Frankly, it is not worth it. Go bare bones and add what you want. By doing that, improvements in apps are always being done instead of sometimes being done. Ben
    The Palm File Transfer application is available for the 700p, it's in your Palm folder, do a search on the forum. You can use your 700p the same way the T5 and LifeDrive use Drive Mode.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    FileZ is free from the CD.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I think hacks like SkinUI/PalmRevolt and Fontsmoother should be built-in features in the Prefs panel, like "Color Theme."

Something like this was supposed to be part of Cobalt. If they're not going to release Cobalt and continue to release Garnet, add these features to Garnet.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I don't know if Palm does it intentionally, but they actually stimulate innovation by not including all the apps. No third-party developer would get into the business if they had to worry that Palm would copy the best-selling apps and drive them out of business by including them on the next generation device. Like I said, I don't know if it's on purpose, but Palm's willingness to stay out of the market for tweaks and improvements leaves the market open to numerous smaller and more innovative programmers.
  7.    #7  
    mal5z, on the one hand, you're right, but on the other, gee, this is costing me a lot of money. $5 to stop a blinking light? $11 to reassign buttons? Bonsai, a complex ToDo manager, is innovation; KB LightsOff, a program that let's you turn off the keyboard light, is just a tweak--a $5.50 tweak. And how does one explain the absence of programs I've been using since the Palm V? Why remove Expense and Note Pad? This isn't innovation, this is bassawkardness!

That Palm added back Voice Memo indicates Palm partially gets it. If I want a more innovative voice recorder, I'll buy one. But if all I want is a simply app to record memos on an infrequent basis, I don't want to spend $20 to get one. I'd like something built-in or at least offered on the CD pack.

Part of the genius of Palm is creating a good out-of-the-box experience. The 700p, for all its faults, mostly measures up. Forcing a user to buy several minor apps for common issues is just plain ridiculous.
    Blogging at Agabus.com

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    The Palm File Transfer application is available for the 700p, it's in your Palm folder, do a search on the forum. You can use your 700p the same way the T5 and LifeDrive use Drive Mode.
    I can't find any such application. I'm searching for it, but if I had to search a forum to find the hazard light on my car, I'd be a bit frustrated. Palm shouldn't make me look for it. If file transfer was such a good idea for the T5, how about offering it on other handhelds. There's nothing more frustrating than hearing Palm's got a great idea--wifi, file transfer, vibrating alarm, etc.--and discovering that no one unit has it all.

"Search" is not good customer relations.
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Palm can't include all programs to make everyone happy. If they include the programs you want, someone else might not want them and might want different applications.
    For example, there is no real need for Filez if other applications are written correctly and using the built in move/delete features. Including a program like Filez allows users to change preferences and send their phones into rest loops.
    LEDoff is a personal preference for you as well. Some people were very happy that the green light stopped blinking when in a coverage area, others want that feature back (on Sprint, I don't know about other carriers). Who is to say what is the best? How many of these options can they allow you to customize?

LudusP - no way. This is a new Treo and it has a new button configuration. It is not meant to be only for people that have come from a 650, or from a 600 or 300 or 180. If you want to customize your buttons, go right ahead, but what other phone/pda allows you to change buttons? They give you the option to assign the four buttons under the screen with two programs each. You are inconvenienced by the menu button because you are used to it, but to palm, that is the best layout.

Everyone is always complaining about the programs that should be on there but everyone has a different list of programs or functionality. There is no way to please everyone, palm included what will please the most people and makes the most sense.
  10.    #10  
    The fact that all of this software exists demonstrates that it is possible for Palm to please everyone. No, you don't have to install it in the ROM, just put it on the disk. Yes, let the consumer decide what he or she wants, but let him or her decide...

Palm has always allowed users to reassign buttons, so while other phones/pdas don't allow users to do this Palm has. And they were successful with it.

As for lights, this is a constant criticism of laptops, blue-tooth headsets, etc. Some consumers simply don't like flashing lights. What's so hard about making a product that gives the user an option to shut them off.

Lastly, you make a good point about FileZ--there's a good way to screw up your PDA, so if I were Palm, I might not include it for that reason. However, perhaps with a stiff warning, you include it on the disc. (BTW, I remember getting it with the Treo 650, but it's not on the 700p's disc.)

Again, when you blaze a trail, as Palm does, you do it through innovation and giving the customer what he or she wants. Palm isn't doing that today.
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    About 2 years ago I think one of the CEO's was interviewed by TreoCentral and they asked him that question. He said that if the put all that software in then they would put other people out of business and stunt innovation for new programs. So Like being able to customize my treo.
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
    Palm File Transfer application thread with instructions

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=palm+freebie
    Jimmie Geddes
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    About 2 years ago I think one of the CEO's was interviewed by TreoCentral and they asked him that question. He said that if the put all that software in then they would put other people out of business and stunt innovation for new programs. So Like being able to customize my treo.
    I get it to a point, but here's my objection. Take Memos. A fine, built-in program for jotting down short notes. I use it frequently, but it's such a bare-bones application that it lacks any real ability to be my primary note application for drafting ideas, etc. That's where innovators such as Natara come in. They invent DayNotez--a fully customizable memo application with a desktop companion. I still use memos for bits of information, but for developing ideas and projects, I use DayNotez. That's the sort of innovation Palm ought to be encouraging.

In effect, those with simpler needs can stick with Memos; those with greater needs can seek out a more robust program.

What gets me is this business of crippling a perfectly fine OS, e.g., removing Expense and Note Pad. Why reinvent the wheel? I bought NoteIt before realizing one could download the old application for free. NoteIt is a fine application, but just never functioned as well as the already-created Note Pad.

And while I think LudusP is a great product, what's innovative about a program that lets you assign buttons? Palm has this feature built-in, but with limitations. Why? In the past, I could reassign my buttons. Why do I have to stop now? All I'm saying is that Palm should go the distance on these itty-bitty programming issues.

I've purchased LudusP, CardReader, LEDOff, and KBLightsOff, but that will prevent me from buying other applications. Frankly, I've spent as much as I can on Palm OS software. Not that I didn't buy any special programs (Bonsai for one), but I did not buy as many as I would have liked, because I'm buying a $5 program to reassign three buttons. If Palm took care of these smaller issues, that would free up people’s wallets to buy truly innovative software.

That said. I seem to be the only one really worked up about this issue, so I'll let it rest.
    Blogging at Agabus.com