1.    #1  
    I tried out a colleague's 700p in anticipation of upgrading from my 650. After he backed up his 700p, I hard reset it and then inserted my SD card (Sandisk Extreme III 1GB) and restored my BackupMan backup from last night to the 700p (about 15MB). To my surprise every single application worked perfectly. No resets, no slow down in speed, no problems! After others' experiences I was very concerned about slow speed, lag time between applications launching, phone speed, etc. I was quite surprised that everything worked well and quite fast to my eyes. I would say several apps launched a bit faster on the 700p but not significantly. Nothing was slower on the 700p than the 650. Even apps off the card (and I have a lot of them!) ran perfectly well and at a decent speed. I even used the Saved and Unsaved Prefs files from the 650 on my restore. That was a first as I've always had problems restoring those files to a new handheld and invariably have to delete them and re-enter reg codes and recreate system and application prefs. But, no problems at all on the 700p.

I used it for about 30 minutes total. Liked the feel of it with solid buttons and keyboard. Screen about the same as the 650. Though I did turn it off a few times when tapping the Home/Applications button or just hit the power button when trying to get the Menu key like on the 650. Seems like a nice update to the 650 with more RAM, higher res camera, updated apps.

So, I went home, called Retentions and got a 700p shipped to me for $349, about $200 less than the best price my local store would offer me. I'm pleased with that, though it appears some folks are getting sub-$300 pricing which sounds great! Next step will be trying to get in on SERO before 31Jun!
    Sounds like a good price to me and anything off is better than the full price . I got mine at $299.99...They also sent me a Fusic for my son free also...so I am happy. Enjoy your Treo
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    I tried out a colleague's 700p in anticipation of upgrading from my 650. After he backed up his 700p, I hard reset it and then inserted my SD card (Sandisk Extreme III 1GB) and restored my BackupMan backup from last night to the 700p (about 15MB). To my surprise every single application worked perfectly. No resets, no slow down in speed, no problems! After others' experiences I was very concerned about slow speed, lag time between applications launching, phone speed, etc. I was quite surprised that everything worked well and quite fast to my eyes. I would say several apps launched a bit faster on the 700p but not significantly. Nothing was slower on the 700p than the 650. Even apps off the card (and I have a lot of them!) ran perfectly well and at a decent speed. I even used the Saved and Unsaved Prefs files from the 650 on my restore. That was a first as I've always had problems restoring those files to a new handheld and invariably have to delete them and re-enter reg codes and recreate system and application prefs. But, no problems at all on the 700p.

I used it for about 30 minutes total. Liked the feel of it with solid buttons and keyboard. Screen about the same as the 650. Though I did turn it off a few times when tapping the Home/Applications button or just hit the power button when trying to get the Menu key like on the 650. Seems like a nice update to the 650 with more RAM, higher res camera, updated apps.

So, I went home, called Retentions and got a 700p shipped to me for $349, about $200 less than the best price my local store would offer me. I'm pleased with that, though it appears some folks are getting sub-$300 pricing which sounds great! Next step will be trying to get in on SERO before 31Jun!
    Same here, I just put my SD card in and everything worked great. No complaints here...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  4.    #4  
    It's a relief to hear comments about things working perfectly. I think this happened after the 650 came out as well... lots of concerns and people posting problems they were having, which is natural. But, it takes awhile until all the folks who have had no problems start to be noticed The first week or two of posts about the 700p, I thought it was going to be so slow and problematic as to be unusable... or at least feel like a major loss from the 650. Glad I did not have that experience. Makes me wonder if early units were buggy or if there are still unresolved software incompatibilities. You guys enjoy your new Treos as well!