Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    What do you use for locking your Treo? The built-in Security app, some third party app, or do you just trust that fate will never separate you from your handheld?

I used to use PDA Defense, but they got destroyed in a merger. Then I went to TealLock, but it causes excessive battery drain on the 700p. So I'm looking for something that will protect my Treo.
    I used mSafe on my 650, worked great. If my phone was out of reach, or I knew I left it behind, all I did is send a text with the password and it locked, even would erase the phone and SD card if I wanted to. I installed it on my 700p last night, but it don't seem to work the same, I guess Motion Apps needs to do an update. Funny thing is, it will lock it in a funny way..I know I've read about other apps here, but I'm sure they need to be updated for the 700p.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I was never able to get Msafe to be stable on my 650. I have not found ANY security app that is consistently stable on any of my treos 300 - 700p. I think it is a Palm OS issue - becuase the sucrity app has to run "in the backgound" (via hede hook?).
    I'm using an eval version of Corsoft Warden - so far I like it a lot, seems to be stable.
    Been using TealLock. It's not perfect, and I keep evaluating other options, but there really isn't a whole lot out there. The good news is that since I've used security programs, I've always had my palm returned to me when I lost it.

I use Keyring (free GNU) for passwords and sensitive info.

edit: spellling
    Last edited by aristarchus; 08/03/2006 at 11:33 AM.
    Butler also a remote lock/ram wipe/sd card wipe app.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Not sure if mobiLock works on a 700p but is worth a look.
    www.mantragroup.com
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm5
    I'm using an eval version of Corsoft Warden - so far I like it a lot, seems to be stable.
    Great app indeed and they will be releasing an update soon. Upon installation, it will say it was intended for the 600 & 650, but those messages can be ignored.
    I've gone with Mobilock. Works fine in tests--only I haven't wiped the card or anything like that. I like the feature where you can play an mp3 file. Right now, I've set my device to play U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," when the handheld receives a message from me.

I noticed in my evaluation of Warden, which is another good program, that it appears to install a "Security" app that masks over Palm's. This was a little tricky when removing Warden after the evaluation as I could not find the Palm "Security" app. I was able to remove Warden's "Security" app with FileZ. That was a bit of a surprise, but I'm sure I did not read the documentation carefully enough.

Tried mSafe, but Mobilock seems to have more features.
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Palm V > Vx > Clie Peg T615C > T3 > Clie TH55 > T3 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p & T3
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I tried Warden, but hit a few issues:

1. It didn't always lock the unit. Sometimes if I left it sitting, I'd come back to find it still unlocked many hours later.

2. It interfered with DateBk6 alarm snoozes. If I got an alarm while locked, and snoozed it, the snoozed alarm would never play and DateBk6 alarm manager would complain about errors in the alarm database.

3. It didn't really seem to do more than the combo of built-in locking + Butler. No ability to auto-wipe after too many bad password entries, for instance.

On the plus side, their tech support is very responsive and they are working on a 700p update. It wasn't bad on the hede speed test, 4 secs.

Now trying Mobilock. Pluses so far: It will wipe after too many bad password entries, and it can send you an email after remotely triggering a wipe to let you know it succeeded. Seems to play nice with DateBk6. Doesn't appear to hook hede.

Minuses: No 'lock after x min delay' - it locks every time you turn the Treo off. Password entry won't take the return key - you have to tap on the screen button.

I'll see how it does in a battery drain test overnight.

Both companies get kudos for giving 15-day fully-functional trials.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Small yipe! with Mobilock: It has an option to allow dialing of an emergency number on the lock screen. On other lock programs I have tried, this brings up the phone keypad but will only accept 911 as the outgoing number.

On Mobilock, it dials. Immediately. Fortunately the number it tried to dial was 112, so I didn't have the police on the other end of the line. I haven't found any way to set what number it dials? The manual only says that it "dials the local emergency number".
    Thankfully you can turn this feature off.

They have a new beta out at:
    http://www.mantragroup.com/downloads...k/mobiLock.prc
    that is supposed to support remotely triggering the camera...
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage

1. It didn't always lock the unit. Sometimes if I left it sitting, I'd come back to find it still unlocked many hours later.

2. It interfered with DateBk6 alarm snoozes. If I got an alarm while locked, and snoozed it, the snoozed alarm would never play and DateBk6 alarm manager would complain about errors in the alarm database.

3. It didn't really seem to do more than the combo of built-in locking + Butler. No ability to auto-wipe after too many bad password entries, for instance.

On the plus side, their tech support is very responsive and they are working on a 700p update. It wasn't bad on the hede speed test, 4 secs.

Pardon the delayed response and thank you for your valuable feedback. It helps to understand where we stand and what needs attention in the feature area.

A:1 Yes. We are aware about this. And this is being worked upon for our next release.
    A:2 This is new to our attention. So, I will have my developers look into this hopefully before our next release get available.
    A:3 I am not sure if you really used all the features available in the Warden, or missed reading the User guide which would have cleared many doubts and would have informed you about many features which you might normally might be aware of. Regarding auto-wipe after so many requests, yes I agree this feature is not available. And FYI this is also a part of upcoming release.

Finally, thank you for your compliments. Appreciate all your help in making this a better security solution.
    Tim K
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsmark
    I noticed in my evaluation of Warden, which is another good program, that it appears to install a "Security" app that masks over Palm's. This was a little tricky when removing Warden after the evaluation as I could not find the Palm "Security" app. I was able to remove Warden's "Security" app with FileZ. That was a bit of a surprise, but I'm sure I did not read the documentation carefully enough.
    Pardon my delayed response. Warden does not install any application called Security. But this is the default app. on your device which provides raw functions like this but is not so feature rich to be used by everyone and so the unawareness among treo users.
    Any application on your ROM like Security app. cannot be deleted. When you go back to your Home menu and Warden is uninstalled you should be able to see this app.

Though, you have mentioned you missed reading User guide, but wanted to update your information on this.
    Tim K
    I LOVED warden except for one MAJOR problem: it conflicts with chatteremail. Everytime an email comes, the treo resets. I have contacted the developer several times about this and they said "they are working on it." That was a couple of months ago. I hope they fix it because their interface is by far the best.

Now trying Mobilock. Pluses so far: It will wipe after too many bad password entries, and it can send you an email after remotely triggering a wipe to let you know it succeeded. Seems to play nice with DateBk6. Doesn't appear to hook hede.

Minuses: No 'lock after x min delay' - it locks every time you turn the Treo off. Password entry won't take the return key - you have to tap on the screen button.

I'll see how it does in a battery drain test overnight.

There is a new beta in work which has this feature along and accepts return key.
    What do you use for locking your Treo? The built-in Security app, some third party app, or do you just trust that fate will never separate you from your handheld?

I used to use PDA Defense, but they got destroyed in a merger. Then I went to TealLock, but it causes excessive battery drain on the 700p. So I'm looking for something that will protect my Treo.
    you should try SecureX. it has auto lock and AES tansparent encryption, application launch protection and alarms work and others. You can get the trial at www.mytreo.net or www.toysoft.ca
    Ahh! So, for some reason, probably a 3rd party app, but can't figure out which one, I cannot get my Treo to lock!

I was using the built in Security to lock it after an hour of not using it. It worked fine. I think after a hard reset and some restoring, it stopped working. I really didn't notice it, but after some testing, it's not working. Well, not entirely so, it'll lock if I set it for 3 min or something, but I want something more like an hour.

After looking at this thread, I downloaded Warden. I also tried mSafe, but it doesn't have a delay locking thing. Warden seems great and I thought about buying it. Good thing I didn't, because after a day at work, I got off, checked my Alerts, made some calls, then realized I didn't have to turn off the security. What gives??

Some apps that MAY be causing it is Butler, but I can't figure out what to turn off, since that portion is off. I did have mSafe still installed, would that do it? I guess I'll find out in 30 min. .

Does anyone have a reliable locking app? Should I even use one? I am considering getting one that'll wipe my info if it's lost/stolen, via SMS, but would like something that locked it after a while also.
    butler works great
    I actually don't lock mine. I think I will start doing it though.

I guess I will start out with the one that came with the phone..
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burnBabyburn
    you should try SecureX. it has auto lock and AES tansparent encryption, application launch protection and alarms work and others. You can get the trial at www.mytreo.net or www.toysoft.ca
    I was thinking of using SecureX. Could you give me your thoughts on it and any possible problems it might cause?

Matt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast