Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    My biggest problem with the 700 p is that it looks too much like the 650. Not enough visual differences for a good healthy brag. Speed issues are silly, since it takes longer for a program to boot on my windoze machine than on my treo and when running, most of the programs just jump much faster than on the 650 (making reading email a pleasure and tom tom fabulous)
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    If that's your biggest problem, you're in pretty good shape, IMHO......
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar
    My biggest problem with the 700 p is that it looks too much like the 650. Not enough visual differences for a good healthy brag. Speed issues are silly, since it takes longer for a program to boot on my windoze machine than on my treo and when running, most of the programs just jump much faster than on the 650 (making reading email a pleasure and tom tom fabulous)
    I wouldn't call this a problem, but I was very surprised by how similar the 650 and 700 look. That's Palm's bad, making it visually distinct would have several advantages to them.

For me, there is a benefit to it's looking the same and that is I can continue to use the Krussel case from my 650. The similarity is annoying to me because I like to talk to people with 700's about their experience with it. But if you see a Treo on someone's hip you can't tell if it's a 650 or 700p without intently staring at the person's midsection to ID the model.
    I think there is a distinctive difference in the shape, side buttons, qwerty, and color. It's enough for everyone with a 650 I work with says they are jealous and want one, inspite the minor differences it must be enough for change. That is not what I got the 700 for anyways...for one, it was a nice upgrade from a 600.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I'm sure this is a tough area for Palm to deal with since you don't want to mess with a good thing (and the Treo's current design is what makes it a Treo). Any dramatic changes and they would have risked offending a good chunk of their customers. I liked how the 650 looked, and I like the 700p even more.

Also, let's face it, it's not like you'll be picking chicks up with your Treo. It is still a at best a business tool and at the worst a gadget (geek toy), even if it is a dressed up one at that. If there was ever a phone that could even come close to accomplishing this astounding feat it was the RAZR. I say was, because now pretty much everyone in town has one and there really isn't any sort of novelty to it anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari
    I'm sure this is a tough area for Palm to deal with since you don't want to mess with a good thing (and the Treo's current design is what makes it a Treo). Any dramatic changes and they would have risked offending a good chunk of their customers. I liked how the 650 looked, and I like the 700p even more.

Also, let's face it, it's not like you'll be picking chicks up with your Treo. It is still a at best a business tool and at the worst a gadget (geek toy), even if it is a dressed up one at that. If there was ever a phone that could even come close to accomplishing this astounding feat it was the RAZR. I say was, because now pretty much everyone in town has one and there really isn't any sort of novelty to it anymore.
    I disagree. When the 650 came out there was a bit of a wow factor. Everyone wanted to hold one, play with one, etc. I was always showing it off when the 650 was new (only by request). I don't see that nearly as much with the 700. There was a lot more buzz about the 650 then there is with the 700.

As for the looks, the 650 was a nice cosmetic upgrade from the 600, even though the changes were minor and unalienating (I know it's not a word) to 600 owners. Palm could have done the same kind of thing with the 700.

BTW - Have you noticed an identity crisis for Palm? I was on another site checking a product for phone compatibility, the site listed all compatible phones by manufacturer. The Treos were listed under Handspring, Palm and PalmOne. That's not a good thing.
    This design has been proven to be a huge success for Palm so there is no need to shift too far from it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    IMO, the 600 had the most WOW factor. Everyone I knew wanted to see my Treo then. Now everyone and their mother has one - I commute by train and not one day goes by without me seeing or hearing a 600/650/700. Silicon Valley must be the Treo capital of the world. Which is to say, why would Palm want to ruin a good thing.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!