Hello all.

I'm a new Treo 650 user from Vancouver, Canada. I'm on the Rogers Wireless network with a GSM phone. I've had the phone about a month now and I've been all over the internet reading as many forums as I can to bring myself up to speed on what this thing can do. I've got a small volley of questions, and hopefully they haven't been covered already. (I try and do all the reading first!)
    Many thanks ahead of time for any responces.

1) The one billionth time this has been covered, but I'm going to ask anways. The big issue on the pathetic call volume. So, the immediate answer always is "go get Volume Care." I got that. I've read Phone Technician can be used also, though not quite as effective. It just burns me up that you are forced to shell out $20 bucks for a feature that Palm could have easily added into a bloody ROM update. Volume Care is such a scam too. I mean, 20 bucks should cover the WHOLE application. This business of individually paying for tiny extra features is stupid. That guy must be rolling in dough. =\ Anywho...any other options available? Free ones perhaps? Ideally modifying a custom rom with better volume control would be ideal. Any threads I missed?

2) Backup applications. I've been doing research on several now:
    BackupBuddy
    BackupBuddyVFS
    Resco Backup
    TealBackup
    BackupMan

So far I like Resco Backup and BackupBuddy. I'm thinking about purchasing the BackupBuddy and BBVFS combo. I also read a comment about some plugin that made HotSync backup the entire Palm. I forget the details on that.

Anywho, what I'm looking for is an application that works sort of like Norton Ghost or windows System Restore. I want to be able to install mass amounts of software to tinker with, and if I mess it up just revert back to my last snapshot. Say, do a hard reset and then load my backup from the SD card or my PC. Any recommendations?

3) This one is driving me nuts with the number of choices. I'm looking into launcher applications and it's so hard to choose. Thus far, the candidates are:
    Zlauncher
    Win Launcher
    Launcher X

From what I gather, Zlauncher is the most popular choice with it having the added bonus of being able to run applications from the SD card always. Other people suggest using PowerRUN for that job. I'm really open to suggestion here. Recommendations?

4) Stability issues and bugs. Me thinks I need to get busy with a custom ROMs. I get the occational freeze once and a while, and I hate the dropped calls. Is there anyway to get it to give me an audible beep or something in my ear if it just randomly decides to hang up and not tell me? Very frustrating. Also, I very much want to turn the menu navigation sounds off for good, but sometimes they turn themselves back on despite the setting still reported as "Off".

I'm referring to: System -> Prefs -> Sounds and Alerts -> Application : General -> System Volume -> "Off"
    It will still say "Off", but it's making noise as I change menus. I have to return here, change it to another value, and then back to Off again. Stupid thing. =\

5) Last but not least on my list of things todo, I'd like to get this phone unlocked. From what I gather, the best solution is just to call your provider and be firm with them untill they cough it up. Anyone else on Rogers Wireless manage to get them to spit it out? Or is there an alternative?

Also once I get it unlocked, I gather it's only temporary. If I do a hard reset it returns to locked state once more? Will the same code work a second time?

Many thanks to anyone who sifted through this big pile of crap and provided some answers. I'll do my best to contribute to this community once I get the hang of things some more.
    That's a lot to respond to. Any way - for the volume thing issue, there is only one answer and that's Volume Care.

#2) I use BackupManager on the Treo to backup every night to the SD card. I use Backup Buddy for syncing to the computer 'cause it backs up everything, including the SD card. Really nice.

#3) Bunches of launchers out there. It really is a play time type of thing to see what suits you. If you want the one that does it all and does it well, then ZLauncher is the one to use. I use it and have between 10-12mb at all times. At this writing I have 11.3mb available. It does not work well with Avantgo due to the size of the files - takes a long time to load. 2Day likes to crash when loaded with ZLauncher and everything else I have runs well with it. Those programs that run automagically, run with alarms, run in the background - yepper, all of those just gotta be in main memory.

#4) Stablity. What an issue. Mine crashed bunches of times during the day. So I looked around and came across Preference Doctor (I enable all three options) and Resco Lock (I lock HanDBase into memory). I also use MemInfo to clear the dbCache - not a problem since I started using Preference Doctor and Resco Lock.

#5) Haven't the slightest idea there - guess I blew it.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger

#3) Bunches of launchers out there. It really is a play time type of thing to see what suits you. If you want the one that does it all and does it well, then ZLauncher is the one to use. I use it and have between 10-12mb at all times. At this writing I have 11.3mb available. It does not work well with Avantgo due to the size of the files - takes a long time to load.
    erm.. AvantGo can write its files directly to the SD card. Look in AGconnect in the server preferences. If it won't let you pick an SD card, make sure you've given the card a name. You can do that in the Card Info application.

That way only AvantGo and a few pdb's are pulled in via ZLauncher. The rest is read as necessary from within Avantgo. Still slower than in ram, but doesn't take up 2M of ram either.
    Hey wmxp, welcome to TC.

I am also w/ Rogers on a GSM treo in Ottawa.

In answer to your questions:
    1) Volume Care all the way, no other solutions that I found.
    2) You can have a look at NVBackup , it's free and looks ok, but I am using Resco Backup because the freeware was not out at that time.
    3) I really like the simplicity of Powerrun. I can keep all the not so often used apps on my sd card, and keep around 10 to 12Mb free on my Treo. very easy to use and very stable. I have to admit that I did not try zlauncher or any other, so YMMV.
    4) Stability: I did have a couple of random resets, but overall I consider my treo very stable. As I read in another thread, always install 1 application at a time, and if you can, wait a couple of days before installing another, that way you can really test and test and test.
    5) Don't know, but if you are successfull, let me know I am interested in unlocking my Treo, and if it worked for you it might work for me!

Good luck!
    - Jeeman
    Woot! More CANCON for Treo!

1) I am using the trial version of Phone Technician and am quite pleased with the improvement in volume. It's cheaper than Volume Care, and has a few neat extra features. I'm going to pay for Phone Technician. Give it a try before you commit to a cash outlay. I agree that Palm dropped the ball on this one; the volume was a REALLY annoying aspect when I first got the 650. The bluetooth headset helped aleviate some of the problems, as it seemed to provide better sound than the regular speaker.

3) I just tried (and uninstalled) LauncherX. I like the idea of a 3rd party launcher, but I have become so used to the Palm OS launcher that I keep reverting back to it, even when I try a different launcher. One word of caution: if you install a 3rd party launcher and don't deactivate/remove it as default before uninstalling it, your Home button likely won't cycle through the categories. I discovered this problem last night and found the relevant threads this morning. Now I have to reinstall LauncherX to uninstall it properly, so I can regain the Home button functionality.

5) Are you sure it's locked to Rogers? Have you tried dropping in a Fido SIM card (or a SIM from another provider)? I know they both use the same network, but if it is locked, the non-Rogers SIM won't be recognized. If the SIM is recognized, congrats, your phone is unlocked. I have an unlocked GSM phone, so the issue is moot to me, but I'd suggest that you get your phone working the way you want before getting it unlocked. I believe that you can apply a generic ROM that won't relock the phone to the Rogers network (which means avoid any Rogers-issued ROMs); besides, if you plan on making your own ROM, you can probably manage to avoid using anything offered by Rogers. And that is a good thing in my books!

Be forewarned: when it comes to supporting Treos, Rogers blows and sucks simultaneously. When I had my Treo 180 and I lost any ability to connect to the network, it took 4 days for Rogers to diagnose and correct the problem; I was on the phone with an army of tech support drones for well over 6 hours in total. It was infuriating. In other words, don't make any plans when you decide to call them, and given their arrogance, they might not even provide the unlock code. the "persistence" stories I've read all seem to deal with Cingular and/or T-Mobile.

Welcome to the fold!
    Cool, a Vancouverite (I'm a former Vancouverite) but still use Rogers (I hate Telus and Bell).

VolumeCare is probably the best app for the job but there is no freeware that I know of.

I use Resco Backup. With the Palm backup software, you can easily restore the entire Palm or just specific files or applications, so it's almost like Ghost. I use the backup for that reason just in case something gets screwed, I can put it back exactly at the image that it was before things got screwed. Once you restore the Palm, just do a hotsync and make sure that the hotsync is set to handheld overwrites desktop and then your computer will have a backup (somewhat) as well.

If you want something to back up all the files on your Palm to the computer, use something like SyncAll.

I have tried Facer and others but always go back to the default launcher because I can't afford over several hundred k's of storage in RAM and it's slower when running. I just use PowerRun since it's small in size and works fine.

I'd suggest getting something like Preference Doctor to save your Preferences file so that every time your Palm resets, that you don't lose the preferences and probably why you complain that the sound isn't off when you have set it to "off" but then a reset happens and you lose the preference file and it's back to "on".

I find that manually doing soft resets during the day when I'm down on DBCache helps to keep the Palm working fine. Sad but true. Resco Locker can also help with stability if you lock applications that cause resets and crashes.

Since you're in Vancouver, you should find lots of places that sell cell phones that can "unlock" your Treo. Check out the cell phone places at Richmond Niight Market and they can do it on the spot. Normally cost $20-35 or so (I haven't checked but I think that's the going price). Once it's unlocked, it will remain unlocked, unless you do a firmware upgrade from Rogers and they "lock" it again for you. So hard resets and zero out resets won't "lock" it.

Too lazy to dig up the links. Do a google for the Palm apps and you should fin d them.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    When I retried AvantGo, I had it set to send its data files to the SD card and with ZLauncher found it very slow. It uses too much memory for me to consider keeping it on the device, as I use my Treo mainly for database functions and email.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    erm.. AvantGo can write its files directly to the S card. Look in AGconnect in the server preferences. If it won't let you pick an SD card, make sure you've given the card a name. You can do that in the Card Info application.

That way only AvantGo and a few pdb's are pulled in via ZLauncher. The rest is read as necessary from within Avantgo. Still slower than in ram, but doesn't take up 2M of ram either.
    1. The GSM 650's don't have a "recognized" headset volume problem. Tho the speaker phone volume is bit low the part against your ear is generally accepted as fine. The "volume issue" you read about is a Sprint specific one as the Verizona and GSM modles which came out later had headset volumes 12dB louder than the Sprint. If you can't hear yours, it is most likely a unit specific issue. BTW, I have not heard my Treo's headset speaker in 14 months. I use a BT headset exclusively.

2. Try NV backup, it's free....do a title searcdh here on the forum for "Freebie" and it should be in the 1st 10 or so threads you see.

3. I have tried all the launchers and I have one word for them ... "clutter". PowerRun is not really a "launcher" per se but an application manager for apps on the SD card. Since I prefer the Palm Launcher screens, I use PowerRUN. It doe sone job and does it well.

4. If you have all your apps in main memory, you are likely very short on it. Install the PowerRUN trial and move all your apps that don't need to be in main memory (those that don't perform any background tasks like like alarms) to the SD card. Ina ll likelihood your problems will disappear once you have 10 MB or more free memory available.

5. Best I can recall, Cingular is the only vendor I ahve heard of unlocking phones in NA. You can serach the threads and maybe come up with better info. The on;ly alternate if they say no is to use the on line unlocking servcies. Search the forum (title search) on "unlock" and you'll get all the links.
    Beauty. Thanks for the responces everyone.
    So I've got some things to chase down and try out.
    I'll go snag the Preference Doctor app and see if that works for fixing that annoyingly little sound quirk. I'll shall report back with my finding soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    When I retried AvantGo, I had it set to send its data files to the SD card and with ZLauncher found it very slow. It uses too much memory for me to consider keeping it on the device, as I use my Treo mainly for database functions and email.

Ben
    Not sure why it would be that slow.. ZLauncher has nothing to do with it. It takes about a second to load AvantGo itself from SD, then a few seconds for AvantGo to load its own files from SD.

If you're just saying AvantGo itself was slow, I don't argue that. But ZLauncher has nothing to do with it.

NOW... If you're using ZLauncher to move the database to SD, yes, that's going to be slow, and if you modify it (wireless update a channel for instance) it has to re-write the whole database. That would be very slow. Again, use the AvantGo feature to save to the SD card itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    1. The GSM 650's don't have a "recognized" headset volume problem. Tho the speaker phone volume is bit low the part against your ear is generally accepted as fine. The "volume issue" you read about is a Sprint specific one as the Verizona and GSM modles which came out later had headset volumes 12dB louder than the Sprint. If you can't hear yours, it is most likely a unit specific issue.
    Not sure what you mean here, all 650's have handset volume issues. It's simply too low. It's not too low for some people, they probably don't use it somewhere noisy, like a car.. Is it not loud enough for an office or your home? Of course not.. But in the car, in a club, etc, it's way too low without Volume Care, and that's the 650 in general. Maybe some later models are louder, not sure, but I know my GSM 650 is way too low.
    I'd have to disagree.... "In the lab", according to PC Magazine's reviews, the Sprint Treo tests 12dB lower than the Verizon and Cingular models. I have no problem in a car ... wouldn't expect to hear anything in a club.

For an idea of what 12 dB means see the table below:

http://computing-dictionary.thefreed...ry.com/deciBel

DeciBels Output Signal Strength
    3dB 2x
    6dB 4x
    10dB (1 Bel) 10x
    20dB 100x
    30dB 1,000x
    40db 10,000x
    All I know is that in a noisy, or even not in a not that noisy environment, I have problems hearing the other end. I have an unlocked GSM Treo 650 bought from HK.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws