Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Ok, here is the scoop I am updating to the 700p (finally made my decision over the ppc6700) but I want to turn my 650 over to a colleague at work. I (legally) obtained the subsidy unlock code from Cingular but it does not unlock the phone. Now either the person who gave it to me read the numbers back wrong or something. Bottom line is does anyone know can I input the unlock code somewhere in the bootloader to unlock the phone? In the bootloader there is a key string for subsidy lock and it usually has lots of @=! whatever in it. I tried putting the number in there and restarting the phone but no go. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I think it is sad that I even have to do this to give my phone to another person on Cingular. He is a grandfathered AT&T SIM card user and cannot use his SIM in my phone unless it is unlocked...yet they are the same company today. This is the reason I asked for and received the unlock code but it still doesn't work. Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.

One last note...I was not trying to start another forum but none of the other subsidy unlock forums handled the question from the bootloader...if the moderators disagree with me...my apologies and move at will.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    Don't know about unlocking with the Bootloader, but you should try calling Cingular back and getting a new code... I was fortunate and got the correct code when I called but there have been many stories about people getting incorrect codes... Also, I got an e-mail from Cingular with the code, they could not give it to me over the phone...
    I'm kind of confused. First of all, how are you going to use an unlock code which you know doesn't work to unlock the device? Secondly, what does the bootloader have to do with any IO functions of the device other than loading and executing kernels? All a bootloader does is uncompress a kernel image into memory and execute it accordingly. Palm isn't the brightest bulb in the corporate socket and decided to use their bootloader to load a series of other bootloaders, but I can't see how any of that has to do with the unlocking function which I would think is buried somewhere in the OS code. I would imagine all this function does is take an eight(?) character string and pass it into some algorithim which returns a bool then sets a global variable accordingly... I would suggest calling Cingular again and having them walk you through the steps. To the best of my knowledge (which may not necessarily be accurate, the above is just speculation) the bootloader does not have a command subset to parse strings.

the unlock code unlocks the phone from the dialpad. you need a cingular SIm installed

#*#*xxxxxxxx# then "dial"
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    the unlock code unlocks the phone from the dialpad. you need a cingular SIm installed

#*#*xxxxxxxx# then "dial"
    This is correct, but you don't need to have a Cingular SIM installed.

If I recall correctly, I did not even have a SIM installed when I unlocked
    my phone. In any case, I never had access to a Cingular SIM, and I
    unlocked my Treo.

Regarding the OPer's question, if it is a mistake they would surely give
    you the correct code. Maybe you should try with a third SIM too...
    Worse case is buy the code from some website, they seem to be fine
    as I got my code from one of the websites.

I remember some discussion on these forums that you can unlock using
    the ROMTool but you need some kind of an encoded string (other than
    the unlock code) to do that. I'll post back in case I come across that
    thread.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    I remember some discussion on these forums that you can unlock using
    the ROMTool but you need some kind of an encoded string (other than
    the unlock code) to do that. I'll post back in case I come across that
    thread.
    Ok, so I'm not going crazy...I swore I read the same thing somewhere too but I couldn't find it for the life of me. If you run across it I would appreciate it.

FrozenCode - After re-reading my post, it does sound confusing. I knew there was another way to unlock through the bootloader. I did try the code in the bootloader key hoping it might work as a last ditch effort. But I know there is another way to do this by actually editing the string in the bootloader...I thought maybe just maybe putting the code in there would work. I was willing to try.

As for using the third party services, I could do that...but I'm worried that I might pay the $15 and have the same net result. I've heard of people paying for the service and it not working anyway...they usually get a refund but just too much hassle. If this code is wrong and doesn't work what's to say their's will? Before I go through all that I thought I'd look up the bootloader solution that I thought I read on here at some point. I'm willing to go that route if need be...but the bootloader is freely accessible to me and I was hoping to use that approach first.

I don't want anyone to think I'm downplaying their ideas here...I appreciate all of them. Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    Ok, so I'm not going crazy...I swore I read the same thing somewhere too but I couldn't find it for the life of me. If you run across it I would appreciate it.
    Here it is, titled "Need help, unlocked Treo rejects SIMs":
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=unlock

Read mmastrac's post #4 and climber_rich's post #5...

and ...you're welcome!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Here it is, titled "Need help, unlocked Treo rejects SIMs":
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=unlock

Read mmastrac's post #4 and climber_rich's post #5...

and ...you're welcome!

Dude, you da man. I know you said welcome...but thanks again.

After looking into this...it's intriguing to me that this does indeed match up with what should be the code for the serialized string. I might have to head back to the drawing board on this one. I can't say it enough...thanks GreenHex. I owe ya.