Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if Palm has stated when they may be releasing a new ROM for the 650 that will support SD cards larger than 2GB? I know about all the manual hack but wondering when it may be official?
  2. #2  
    they have not stated one way or the other. anything else you hear is only a rumor.

    my guess...don't hold your breath
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    they have not stated one way or the other. anything else you hear is only a rumor.

    my guess...don't hold your breath
    The PXA270 processor won't support 4GB cards... Given its design, it can't actually address anything larger than 2GB. This is basically what I discovered during the Treo 650 Linux port.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    The PXA270 processor won't support 4GB cards... Given its design, it can't actually address anything larger than 2GB. This is basically what I discovered during the Treo 650 Linux port.
    I thought Fat32 in the rom will access 4gb cards.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=fat32
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    The PXA270 processor won't support 4GB cards... Given its design, it can't actually address anything larger than 2GB. This is basically what I discovered during the Treo 650 Linux port.
    I'm a bit confused by the above answer. The FAT32 ROM hack for the 650 clearly demonstrates it is technically possible, so it's really a question of if/when Palm will release a 650 ROM update with the FAT32.PRC.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews
    I'm a bit confused by the above answer. The FAT32 ROM hack for the 650 clearly demonstrates it is technically possible, so it's really a question of if/when Palm will release a 650 ROM update with the FAT32.PRC.
    From what I remember, SD cards are addressed via the absolute memory address for reads and writes. Due to a limitation in the PXA27x architecture, you are only able to send 31 bits of address and therefore cannot access the area of a 4GB card over the 2GB mark.

    *** It may format the card and appear to work, but any data written past the 2GB point will likely fail. ***

    That being said, you can always partition it into 2 2GB partitions and use only the first partition in your Treo. Since FAT32 stores all its metadata at the start, you should never run into a problem with passing the 2GB mark.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    From what I remember, SD cards are addressed via the absolute memory address for reads and writes. Due to a limitation in the PXA27x architecture, you are only able to send 31 bits of address and therefore cannot access the area of a 4GB card over the 2GB mark.

    *** It may format the card and appear to work, but any data written past the 2GB point will likely fail. ***
    I think if that was the case, then all the people who have done the FAT32 hack would eventually complain and demonstrate this problem you're talking about. However, no one ever complains about not being able to read/write more than 2GB of files in a Treo, so it must work, otherwise people won't be doing it.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    I think if that was the case, then all the people who have done the FAT32 hack would eventually complain and demonstrate this problem you're talking about. However, no one ever complains about not being able to read/write more than 2GB of files in a Treo, so it must work, otherwise people won't be doing it.
    Has anyone filled a card with more than 2GB of data? Keep in mind that FAT32 implementations often read/write starting from the beginning of the card.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    The PXA270 processor won't support 4GB cards... Given its design, it can't actually address anything larger than 2GB. This is basically what I discovered during the Treo 650 Linux port.

    This statement appears to not hold water.

    The 650's with custom roms with the fat32 support from the 700P can access all 4GB's
  10. #10  
    I have 300MB left on my 4GB card, and I'm 100% positive the Treo 650 (with the FAT32 hack) can read all files. And my card has only one 4GB partition.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Has anyone filled a card with more than 2GB of data? Keep in mind that FAT32 implementations often read/write starting from the beginning of the card.
    I'm pretty sure SOMEONE with a 4GB card has added more than 2GB of data, otherwise, they'd just stick to a 2GB card :-\

    You can't just assume that the 650 can't access 4GB of data in PalmOS just because it can't happen in linux. The problem is obviously with the linux distro, not the 650's proc.
  12. #12  
    I have 3.5Gb worth of mp3s on my 4Gb card and every single file is accessible from my Treo 650. So 4Gb cards are supported with fat32 in rom on the Treo 650.
  13. #13  
    SD is not MMIO. Accesses happen by loading an address pointer to the card via the SD bus and then doing sequential reads or writes. OSes tend to treat SD as a block device. Just as you can have a 100GB hard disk attached to a 32-bit PC, you can have 4GB of SD on a Treo. Of course, the only limitation (for unhacked Treos) is in the filesystem.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pokey
    SD is not MMIO. Accesses happen by loading an address pointer to the card via the SD bus and then doing sequential reads or writes. OSes tend to treat SD as a block device. Just as you can have a 100GB hard disk attached to a 32-bit PC, you can have 4GB of SD on a Treo. Of course, the only limitation (for unhacked Treos) is in the filesystem.
    Yeah - looks like this is the case. I think my concerns weren't justified here... Sorry for the confusion, all!

    The official word then is that the Treo *does* in fact support 4GB (in the OS and in the hardware). Let it be known!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Yeah - looks like this is the case. I think my concerns weren't justified here... Sorry for the confusion, all!

    The official word then is that the Treo *does* in fact support 4GB (in the OS and in the hardware). Let it be known!
    So, for the really obtuse among us,

    If I have a new Treo 650 (and little Palm knowledge), and a 4GB card, do I need anything else to make the Treo access the card? But that I mean hacks.

    Thanks,

    Mirko
  16. #16  
    Mirko,

    You need a Custom ROM with FAT32 installed.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc
    Mirko,

    You need a Custom ROM with FAT32 installed.
    Thanks John,

    Now that you said it, I see that it has been discussed countless times.

    Mirko

Posting Permissions