1.    #1  
    I ride the subway a lot. When I come up out of the subway and check my phone, it always says it's Roaming. It can sometimes take several minutes for the phone to recognize and switch back over to the Sprint network. Sometimes I'm left standing around waiting for it to switch back over because my next destination is contingent on a voicemail I may have received while down in the subway.

Is there any quick way to manually initiate a switch over from Roaming back to Sprint (apart from turning the phone off and back on -- I've figured out that method, but it takes a minute or so itself). By the way, the Sprint signal is a full 5 bars strong, so that is not an issue.
    Turn "Digital Roaming" off in the Phone -> Options -> Phone Preferences menu. At least on a 650
  3. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Push the phone button .. Menu button .. Roaming Preferences .. Pick "Home Networks only"
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, will test this tonight!
    I dont understand this - dont we get free nationwide service - so why do we have to pay for roaming?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    I dont understand this - dont we get free nationwide service - so why do we have to pay for roaming?
    You may not have to pay for roaming depending on your plan. However, remember people may have different understandings and definitions of roaming.

Roaming - when you are using your cell phone outside your calling area but still on your phone companies towers (e.g. Sprint is your provider and you live in CA and you fly to WA to place a phone call on Sprintís towers). I donít think has done ever employed this form of roaming. This is where Sprint will say "Nationwide Service" no roaming.

Off Network Roaming - When you are in a place where there are no Sprint towers so your phone is using a Verizon tower to place a call (doesn't matter if you are in your calling area or not). Sprints latest plan claim to include this form of roaming (donít know if they limit it to half your total minutes). However, there older plan do not include off network roaming and it is very costly to use. If you are on an old plan you can add the roaming pack for $5 which will allow you to use 1/2 your anytime minutes to roam off network at no additional charge. Remember Sprint prorates their stuff, so you can call the day before vacation add the roaming pack and call back the day after you get back and cancel it.

Be careful when you discuss roaming with your provider because they my tell you roaming is including but still not include off network roaming.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    somebody on this forum shared a "*18" phone number, which supposively tells the phone to immediatly switch to the best available tower. I've tried it a few times and it seems to actually work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mapenn
    somebody on this forum shared a "*18" phone number, which supposively tells the phone to immediatly switch to the best available tower. I've tried it a few times and it seems to actually work.
    can you explain this some more and give the info?
    what carrier?
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl
    Quote Originally Posted by mapenn
    can you explain this some more and give the info?
    what carrier?
    I believe this thread is the definitive word on '*18' and '*180'. In a nutshell it seems that those are now depreciated codes that at one time set allow/prevent travel calls. I think it's evolved into an urban legend that those codes seek out the strongest tower.

ERic
    an easy way to get free digital roaming is to call sprint at *2 and when claire, the computer voice, comes on ask for 'cancellation.' among the things that this department can easily get you is free roaming. just tell them this: i get horrible reception where i live but i get full bars when using roaming... they'll put free roaming on your plan right away. another way to go about this is to go for the sero plan, which includes free roaming as a basic feature.
    I'm having the same problem with my 700p. My phone will lock on to roaming service, after getting off the train or an elevator, and then not sync with versa mail. Anyone else having this problem? I hate to say it never was a problem with my 650