1.    #1  
    Anyone heard when they are going to release the 700p unlocked GSM?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    No. It's not even a certainty that there will even be a GSM version of the 700p (as opposed to the 700w, which is pre-listed by one supplier in the UK). Which is bonkers marketing IMHO, considering there are over 2billion GSM subscribers out there, and only 0.1billion CDMA subscribers in the USA, 0.25billion worldwide.
    There's oodles of threads on the topic....try search / advanced / title search and put "GSM" and "700" in the box and you'll get lotsa info.
    I wont call myself an expert on the subject of GSM, but aren't there multiple, incompatible 3G standards out there? HSDPA, UMTS, whatever... That might be putting Palm off on releasing a phone. EDGE works worldwide it was a no-brainer putting it in and it was ready for market first. There was wide carrier acceptance of EDGE at the time of release. But if Palm "bets" on the wrong 3G standard and calls it a "world phone" then they're screwed. Not something you can fix with a ROM update. I think they are waiting for the 3G over GSM issue to settle down. It is probably too expensive and impractical to build a GSM treo that is compatible with all the 3G flavors. They are right IMO in thinking that the market wouldn't accept an GPRS/EDGE only 700p.

Like CDMA or not, the thing they have going for them is a single broadband standard with wide carrier acceptance and rapid deployment. Hence you can quickly spec out a CDMA Treo and bring it to market fast.

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    There's oodles of threads on the topic....try search / advanced / title search and put "GSM" and "700" in the box and you'll get lotsa info.
    Poor Jack It seems nobody really cares anymore.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT
    I wont call myself an expert on the subject of GSM, but aren't there multiple, incompatible 3G standards out there? HSDPA, UMTS, whatever...
    UMTS is the GSM current generation "standard". HSDPA 1.8 is the initial software upgrade to UMTS which was scheduled to be rolled out first. However, the HSDPA 3.6 testing went so well that Cingular decided that it would skip rolling out 1.8 nationwide and move directly to 3.6

HSDPA 1.8 is equivalent to current EVDO speeds, 3.6 is twice as fast.

The big questions is therefore, which will the next Treo have 1.8 or 3.6 There are many 1.8 phones out there.....if Palm comes out with a 3.6 capable Treo, it's going to have a huge market impact. If it comes out with a HSDPA 1.8 model 8 or 9 months after Verizon's EVDO, it would kinda be a yawner of an announcement.

It's a bit old and out of date (by 16 months) but you can get a god understanding here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1771797,00.asp

Glossary of terms is here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1772932,00.asp
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT
    I wont call myself an expert on the subject of GSM, but aren't there multiple, incompatible 3G standards out there? HSDPA, UMTS, whatever... That might be putting Palm off on releasing a phone. EDGE works worldwide it was a no-brainer putting it in and it was ready for market first. There was wide carrier acceptance of EDGE at the time of release. But if Palm "bets" on the wrong 3G standard and calls it a "world phone" then they're screwed.
    Whilst there is some truth in what you say, the GSM market is so much bigger than CDMA (about 10x bigger) that Palm would still have a larger market if it chose the "wrong" GSM 3G data standard than if it stuck to CDMA.

Really, I think it's more to do with home market. CDMA is big in the US, so Palm understand it. But GSM is, has and will win overall world-wide.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    UMTS is the GSM current generation "standard". HSDPA 1.8 is the initial software upgrade to UMTS which was scheduled to be rolled out first. However, the HSDPA 3.6 testing went so well that Cingular decided that it would skip rolling out 1.8 nationwide and move directly to 3.6

HSDPA 1.8 is equivalent to current EVDO speeds, 3.6 is twice as fast.

The big questions is therefore, which will the next Treo have 1.8 or 3.6 There are many 1.8 phones out there.....if Palm comes out with a 3.6 capable Treo, it's going to have a huge market impact. If it comes out with a HSDPA 1.8 model 8 or 9 months after Verizon's EVDO, it would kinda be a yawner of an announcement.

It's a bit old and out of date (by 16 months) but you can get a god understanding here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1771797,00.asp

Glossary of terms is here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1772932,00.asp
    Knowing Palm and the way things have been going, I'm sure it will be 1.8.
    At launch time in US, which I expect in late September - early November, there will be some 170 or so major metro areas covered by HSDPA 3.6 .... seems awful bass-ackwards to release a 1.8 phone that late.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk
    Really, I think it's more to do with home market. CDMA is big in the US, so Palm understand it. But GSM is, has and will win overall world-wide.
    Let's not forget that HSDPA is actually Wide CDMA

From webopedia

"High Speed Downlink Packet Access, or HSDPA, is a packet based data service feature of the in WCDMA standard which provides a downlink with data transmission up to 8-10 Mbps (and 20 Mbps for MIMO systems) over a 5MHz bandwidth in WCDMA downlink. The high speeds of HSDPA is achieved through techniques including; 16 Quadrature Amplitude Modulation, variable error coding, and incremental redundancy. HSDPA is a technology upgrade to current UMTS networks."

Short for wide-band CDMA (Code-Division Multiple Access), a 3G technology that increases data transmission rates in GSM systems by using the CDMA air interface instead of TDMA. WCDMA is based on CDMA and is the technology used in UMTS. WCDMA was adopted as a standard by the ITU under the name "IMT-2000 direct spread".
    I don't think it's a matter of winning but the carriers here gotta realize they are eventually gonna pay more for CDMA phones with a market in the 100 million than GSM phones with a market of a billion or more ... it's just the "economies of scale"
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    F*c*ing HILARIOUS!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Well when people wonder why they get so few informed responses, they'll think that maybe the questions been asked and answered and worth their time to take a peek.