Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Everytime I do this I feel a need to post and remind people.

My 700p has not been working well, lots or resets, sms resetting when the come in, lag between programs, and very slow.

In attempt to diagnose my sms problem (since deleting the messaging database wasn't working) I decided i should have done a hard reset and reinstalled things piece by piece when I upgraded from the 650 to the 700p. But I hadn't. So I did this last night. I found my saved preferences file was causing the reset, so installed an old one from a back up last month. SMS fixed.

But now my treo has hardly no lag between programs, zlauncher is fast, and the 700p is running happy! I can't over preach the need to do a clean sweep from time to time.

Good "Treo"ing everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    Everytime I do this I feel a need to post and remind people.

My 700p has not been working well, lots or resets, sms resetting when the come in, lag between programs, and very slow.

In attempt to diagnose my sms problem (since deleting the messaging database wasn't working) I decided i should have done a hard reset and reinstalled things piece by piece when I upgraded from the 650 to the 700p. But I hadn't. So I did this last night. I found my saved preferences file was causing the reset, so installed an old one from a back up last month. SMS fixed.

But now my treo has hardly no lag between programs, zlauncher is fast, and the 700p is running happy! I can't over preach the need to do a clean sweep from time to time.

Good "Treo"ing everyone.
    OK - So what exactly is in the prefereces file? What happens if I just delete the one I have? What are the ramifications of using an old preferences file from my 650?
    It might help a little but it won't eliminate the lag. All of my testing was done on a factory fresh 700p with no hotsyncs and no software added. The lag is still greater than the 650 and the benchmarks are all about 50% lower on the 700p.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho
    OK - So what exactly is in the prefereces file? What happens if I just delete the one I have? What are the ramifications of using an old preferences file from my 650?
    The preference file will, amoung many things, hold your serial numbers for all your programs. The 650 always would reset and accidentally delete this file. So I always kept copies of this file on my memory card. When I realized my pref file was corrupted I deleted it and used my last copy before the curroption. Since then I haven't had a reset.

As for the lag, it still does, but I have noticed it is faster since I cleaned off all the other crap. I think left overs were causing problems. I mean I have had a palm for 12 years now and I still have files that I used on my original palm. This at times can cause problems if you don't clean them out.
    ...I can't over preach the need to do a clean sweep from time to time...
    So true. Its good practice, when something is acting odd and your not sure of the cause, do a clean rebuild. Hard reset, rename backup folder, install apps as needed.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    i just did it and it seems to have cleared up my sms problem . but you have to delete all the back up folders cause my device keep pulling stuff fro the folder i have sent 35 sms message from another phone to my treo and no problem. so far so good
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    The preference file will, amoung many things, hold your serial numbers for all your programs. The 650 always would reset and accidentally delete this file. So I always kept copies of this file on my memory card. When I realized my pref file was corrupted I deleted it and used my last copy before the curroption. Since then I haven't had a reset.

As for the lag, it still does, but I have noticed it is faster since I cleaned off all the other crap. I think left overs were causing problems. I mean I have had a palm for 12 years now and I still have files that I used on my original palm. This at times can cause problems if you don't clean them out.
    So if I don't have a trustworthy backup of the preferences file, what happens if I just delete it? I don't have much registered software so I don't care about serial numbers. Am I going to lose anything critical? If it's just the stuff that you set up under Preferences, losing that is no biggie.

Also, what is the file name of the preferences file? I assume if I delete it with Filez and do a soft reset I'll get a fresh, uncorrupted preferences file?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The pref file is called Saved_preferences. You won't lose anything important just all your serials and settings. But once you delete it another one will be created. I suggest copying it to your memory card and if something goes wrong you can copy it back.

A hard reset and a rebuild could also help.

Ciao
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
    I decided i should have done a hard reset and reinstalled things piece by piece when I upgraded from the 650 to the 700p. But I hadn't. So I did this last night.
    "Upgarding from one device to another is never a good idea. While many just rename the old user name folder to "start from scratch", I install PalmDesktop to a completely new directory and just copy 4 files over to th new palm\username direcftory:

address.dat
    todo.dat
    memo.dat
    datebook.dat